98 GSX Limited suddenly died, no electrical power

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

thechosenone16

Had my ‘98 GSX Limited out on the lake yesterday. Was running fine until I hit a wave and suddenly lost all power. Tried re-inserting the key.. no beeps, nothing on the gauges, zero electrical life.

Swam it back to shore and my initial thought was maybe one of the battery terminal connections came loose when I hit the wave. Both were tight. Tested the battery and it’s still got 12V.

MPEM was replaced last year so I can’t imagine it went out that quickly. I did check the cable connectors just to make sure they didn’t get dislodged when I hit the wave, but they were fine.

Any ideas? I’m not very well versed in the electrical, but would appreciate any insight since it’s near impossible to find a shop here to work on a 2-stroke PWC.

Thanks in advance.

Update.
All the fuses look good. Tried shorting the solenoid and it turned over. Bought and installed a new one but still nothing when i put the key or attempt to start. All out of ideas at this point.

What was the issue with the old MPEM? Did you get the beep or gauges lite up with that or was it completely dead too?

I was thinking if you could swap them out and see what it does. It might give you some clues. But if it was dead then no point.

DId you replace the MPEM with a used OEM or a Chinese knock off?

Appreciate the reply!

The old MPEM would fail to recognize the key intermittently and you’d have to cross your fingers you wouldn’t end up stranded on the water. So occasionally you’d get nothing (no beeps, no gauges), similar to what is happening now. Could be worth a shot on a quick swap back to see, I suppose.

The MPEM I installed last summer is an Arieltek.

Yeah, electrical issues have never been my thing. SInce you have a MPEM that kinda works I would try that to see what happens. If you get life back then I fear the new one might have kicked the bucket.

I have read mixed reviews on aftermarket MPEMs.

Similiar thing happened to me years ago. There is a bolt in the rear e-box that holds multiple ground wires that just screws into plastic. Check if that came loose. Luckily I diagnosed mine while still on the water and didn't have to swim the ski back to shore.

Found the culprit! Rear 15A fuse was blown. Replaced it and got it started. However, as I was putting everything back together both 15A fuses blew again. I replaced them again and another instant blow. Any ideas what would cause this?

Back