Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

David Buhagiar

Hello everyone :)

I'm new to this forum and to the world of PWCs in general.

My first pwc is a 2004 Seadoo GTI RFI LE. It was rebuilt about a year ago and did 10 hours since then.

When I bought it I literally took the plunge. The ski ran perfect on the water, however it would not start in the water after a good run.

Despite the fact that as a two stroke it idles on 1 cylinder, I believe that it is running rough. I came across a lot of posts about this ski with owners practically reporting the same issues. Unfortunately, when issues are resolved threads are usually left open-ended.

Even though I am not tech savvy I'm ready to get my hands dirty (and cut!) and have a list of stuff to try before moving on to a dealer, inc. changing of petrol (which I am still figuring out how to do since siphoning doesn't appear to work!), crank sensor cleaning, rave valve cleaning and injector testing.

Any input is much appreciated. Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

I own an '01 GTX RFI, which has the exact same engine. It definitely does "feel" rough on idle, but from what I am gathering, thats just how they are designed to run. The non-start issue I can't help you with, other than it possibly being a large rotary valve clearance, and the heat of a hot engine will cause this to increase. Sometimes my ski takes a few more kicks than usual when hot too.
How many hours in total are on it?

Hey Ranga!

About 220 hours on it in total. Also, is there some way to check the rotary valve clearance and any ideas of how I can correct the problem if I find out that this is the issue?

Thanks mate :)

It's something that should have been done properly when they reassembled it after rebuild. Download the shop manual (might have to run a google search for it), and there should be a chapter which addresses the RV clearance. If it is too large (which is sounds like it is) you might have to replace the cover.
Does it not start at all when it's hot?

i had the same hard or no start on water issues on my 99 gsx rfi last summer, brand new rebuilt engine new injectors, fuel pump and filters. you name it, all except last fall i found that the fuel pressure regulator was toast so i replaced it. this weekend i'm going camping and to try it for the first time. i am probably one of those that hasn't reported back as i didnt have it ironed out yet but will as soon as it is fixed. i like you searched many threads with no resolve.

I'll run a google search for manuals. It's either a hard start or does not start at all in the water. Once on land and no load on the pump whatsoever it runs first time.

Thanks for your input Jammin. I was not referring to a particular forum just the searches I did throughout the world wide webs :)

A number of owners found out that they had lost compression in one cylinder, but in my case I can get the engine revving to 7k with no issues (on land. Also I was not able to run a compression test because I lack the tool for the time being).

In addition, owners appear that they also tried trimming off 1/4 inch of the spark plug wires, clean injectors and do a TPS reset (which solved the issue in some individual cases).

The thing is that there appears to be a common issue throughout.

Goodluck Jammin and hope you get your problem fixed with a new fuel pressure regulator :)

i had the same hard or no start on water issues on my 99 gsx rfi last summer, brand new rebuilt engine new injectors, fuel pump and filters. you name it, all except last fall i found that the fuel pressure regulator was toast so i replaced it. this weekend i'm going camping and to try it for the first time. i am probably one of those that hasn't reported back as i didnt have it ironed out yet but will as soon as it is fixed. i like you searched many threads with no resolve.

I am on 99 gsx number 2- different hull, mpem, fuel pump, injectors, throttle body, etc. from #1 but the same engine. Both have/had the same problem- hard to start when warm on the water. I have to hold the throttle open like it is flooded and it fires fairly easily then. My first ski did it from the day I got it, rebuilt the motor due to a rv gear failure and it still did it. It was freshened up when it was put in this ski and still has the problem. I'd swear it has a leaky injector by what it's doing, but BOTH sets had tested fine and it did it with either set. It bugged me at first trying to figure out why, but I have since found it a lot less stressful to just accept it and run with it lol.

I am on 99 gsx number 2- different hull, mpem, fuel pump, injectors, throttle body, etc. from #1 but the same engine. Both have/had the same problem- hard to start when warm on the water. I have to hold the throttle open like it is flooded and it fires fairly easily then. My first ski did it from the day I got it, rebuilt the motor due to a rv gear failure and it still did it. It was freshened up when it was put in this ski and still has the problem. I'd swear it has a leaky injector by what it's doing, but BOTH sets had tested fine and it did it with either set. It bugged me at first trying to figure out why, but I have since found it a lot less stressful to just accept it and run with it lol.
i tried the full throttle flood mode thing and still would not fire. i also checked for leaky injectors and not a drop! so in my case i may have been because of the failing pressure regulator, that on the water it didnt provide the pressure needed to fire the injectors. but started right up once i trailered it.

David, thanks, i will report back when all said and done:) i know you knew that i did know that you weren't talking about a particular forum lol but i searched the whole web and most no resolve, a few members know first hand the hell i went thru with my ski and together we ran a fine tooth comb, the regulator is probably the final straw before i blow it to pieces lol j/k
good luck with your ski too, hopefully you will get er figured out. keep us posted.

The Mystery Deepens...

Update: Well, before I decided to go to the sea I cleaned the crank sensor which turned out to be quite dirty (rusty particles and microscopic metal filings)...and ofc, clumsy me, dropped the bolt under the engine....and I found more than just a bolt, some water and oil....and Glass shards!!!

Still mystified, I decided to run the ski, switched on engine, switched on water and there it was the idling problem once again, it was playing around 1000 + - 500 (yes that unstable). And after some time it would just switch off leaving me running to the tap so as not to let the engine take in water. Tried this for about 5 times.

What came out of the jet was worrying to say the least....apart from seaweed, pieces of rope.

In the end I decided to call it quits....didn't want to damage the engine by taking in water and the pump with debris. Will get a help from a friend who's quite knowledgeable and will go from there. Anyway will update further....

11287281_10153316776316093_1209309698_n.jpg
11356275_10153316775271093_201904523_n.jpg11304484_10153316775966093_502046820_n.jpg

took the seadoo out for the first time this year yesterday. it started right up in the water but had to give it some throttle. rode for awhile, shut her down wouldnt start unless i floored the throttle but did start right up. ran for awhile and running like a champ while it's running. took a 15 min break, checked both spark plugs mocha brown and dry. then no wont start no matter what. luckily i was right next to the ramp so i trailer ed it pulled the plugs and both were wet with gas. to give a bit of history last year new engine new fuel pump and filters, fuel regulator, charging regulator, new tps reset by me with candoo, ohm checked every sensor pass, did everything. leak tested the injectors pass. seems to dump too much fuel when trying to start hence is why sometimes when holding wot it will start. injectors sometimes show short to ground on the candoo as a occurred code. the only thing i can think of is replace the injectors..
sorry i dont mean to take over this thread but i did promise to report back so if i need i will start my own thread.

ps. i know i said i replaced the injectors in the above post but i had them tested and cleaned professionaly and the graphs show good results. someone here said that do not have them rebuilt but replace them! i am beginning to believe i should have heeded those words:(

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Jammin no problem at all. It's much better like this cause everyone can share their experiences and we can hopefully learn something from each other.

About the injectors, I've met a jet ski mechanic a year ago and from his experience he told me that he doesn't trust injectors until he's tried them on another ski. He said that he had unique cases where the injectors would be tested and be show as working 100% fine. However they would just not work properly on the ski....or any other ski for that matter.

david, thanks for the heads up on the injectors. i also found that the coil pack can cause hard starting especially when warmed up hence fuel fouling. it seems the more i ride the harder it is to start so i ordered a coil pack this morning. i will post results when i get her figured out.

Hi guys, this is David Buhagiar above as will not be using the FB account anymore for purposes of this forum.

For the time being I don't have any updates since I was very busy and didn't found time to work on the ski except to remove the fuel and buy a new fuel filter. Hopefully will get everything on next Saturday.
[MENTION=62942]jammin777[/MENTION] - did you check out rotary valve clearance on yours, as Ranga97's explanation sounds very plausible

yes 3 times, timing and clearance and is in spec. i installed another coil pack from a low hour ski and plan on water testing tomorrow. ill keep you posted. it seems the more i ride the worse it gets when trying to restart it while in water, it make sense that coils can show their weakness when it gets warm after running awhile. the fuel injectors still spray fuel even if the coil dosn't spark hence can be a cause of fuel fouling/flooding which make perfect sense. lets just hope that is my case. ive done everything else.

the used coil i installed is worse than the one i had! going to return it:( another summer going to hell! wheres my freaking shotgun?

Hey Jammin, just wondering if the new coil made a difference as I have the same ski as yours. The new injectors I just installed today made no improvement. I was going to try a fuel pressure regulator next, and then a coil after that?:willy_nilly:

Hey Jammin, just wondering if the new coil made a difference as I have the same ski as yours. The new injectors I just installed today made no improvement. I was going to try a fuel pressure regulator next, and then a coil after that?

nope still starting hard in the water. i'm at my whits end with this piece of $h!t ski! i see so many in the forums that have the same issues as mine with no resolve! to me the rfi's are crap! i've got a lot of time and money invested and has ruined nearly 2 summers! wife is tired of me spending money and cant really blame her. she say maybe next year buy a new one like a spark. not sure if i be better off parting it out or selling it. either way id take a huge loss:(
believe me id rather have this one if i can get it right but dont know what to do.
sorry for the rant. it is getting too much fuel upon start up when warm it takes a lot even in flood mode wot.
ive done everything imaginable, fuel pump, filters, fuel regulator, triple checked rv timing and clearance, new engine, voltage rectifier, new tps and reset several times. made sure connectors were not crossed tps and air flow sensor, compression good, checked for codes with candoo pro, good agm battery, starter turns over @600 rpm or better in the water. sent the injectors in for testing for flow rate and ohms and cleaned with new filters and orings.
it runs like a scalded dog when it is running but hard to start and cant trust shutting it down after riding as there's a good chance it wont start. the only occurred code i get is pto and mag injector shorted to ground. ive asked every one i could think of and searched the net and cant seem to find answers. i hope you get yours figured out.

yes 150 psi pto 146 mag. that is the numbers ive gotten sense the rebuild with a good quality tester by lang i bought off the cornwell truck.
i did hook up the candoo pro just a few min ago and no codes. the fuel injector codes i stated in the previous post was when i checked it last week and cleared them sense. that is after riding it for almost an hour yesterday.
i will repeat, 2 weeks ago i was out riding i did a plug chop before i shut her down the plugs were a dry deep mocha brown which i thought were perfect. trying to restart it for a while i got it back on the trailer and checked the plugs again and were wet with fuel. too much fuel while trying to start. the coil i installed is a brand new factory unit complete with new plug wires. it didn't come with boots so i used the ones off of my old coil.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back