Sea-Doo Spark Review - X4 Enthusiasts Rejoice! The Spark is here!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
I know that I've already posted this but I still can't get over that low, low price! They're going to sell a whole bunch of these things.

The modularity really is more of a thing to help the factory and keep costs down. Per the engineers, it is not design to be changed after purchase. I am not sure what needs to happen to turn a 2-up into a 3-up (or visa versa), but they said it was not designed to be changed after the fact. Definitely some room for aftermarket to improve that!

******CORRECTION*******
After reading my notes from the event, the real reason has to do with certifications. If certified as a 2 person craft, you cannot simply add a seat and extension and make it become a 3 person craft. Has to do all with the coast guard certifications. I'm not sure if there is a work around, but this is why the engineers explained you can't simply buy the addon to convert.

Thanks, that makes sense on the certs. Really diggin' this thing. The under side of the hull looks so much like the X4. Thanks for posting up all this info!

******CORRECTION*******
After reading my notes from the event, the real reason has to do with certifications. If certified as a 2 person craft, you cannot simply add a seat and extension and make it become a 3 person craft. Has to do all with the coast guard certifications. I'm not sure if there is a work around, but this is why the engineers explained you can't simply buy the addon to convert.

Yep... the USCG would have a hard time with that.

I bet they will sell the extension just as a "Swim Platform" and "Added buoyancy" to the 2 seater.... but won't change the original rating.

If the colored panels are interchangeable... they would be dumb to not sell it as a "Kit". But, the price would need to be affordable. But then again... a company like Myer, or UFO may be able to make a color kit cheaper. (They make plastics for ATV's/motorcycles)

I love the fact that the top hull comes off. It will make engine service EASY !!!

Nice! I was telling some friends of mine a few months ago how I'd like to make jetski's and use a type of plastic on a small lightweight hull. Never thought seadoo would do it. Glad they did!
Now to come up with $5k plus the cost of a turbo mod when they come out.....
And a double trailer :( hmm.... Still don't have that kind of money.... Guess it'll be used cheap mid 90's models for me for a while yet!
Wondering how it jumps and handles compared to the x4. Would like to ride side by side.

Almost forgot one huge thing.....NO MORE CARBON SEAL!

It was suggested that this design will find it's way into the rest of the line up.

Almost forgot one huge thing.....NO MORE CARBON SEAL!

It was suggested that this design will find it's way into the rest of the line up.

Interesting, so does this mean we can leave our ski's in the water overnight and not expect to have only the handlebars showing by morning?

Lou

Not sure if this was posted yet but here is the accessory video for the Spark. They have some really neat stuff. I like how the rear step just is a fold down on the one side it looks like. I also like the dock lines being integrated.

[video=youtube;LE74Sln-RCE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE74Sln-RCE[/video]

It's cool to see Kevin Wassum featured a lot in that video...he's one of our sponsored riders for PWC Muscle

Wow... I bet you could have a $10,000 spark lol. Some nice accessories. Id like a 2 up with ibr, the goofy shade thing, a step, and maybe a front storage thing. Is the lcd screen included on all?

chucked, I think you max out around $7200 for the Spark with all options. And the LCD is included on all of them.

:hurray: FINALLY!!!! :hurray: The design is still pretty alien looking, consistent with modern seadoos, but it may grow on me. I'm an X4 lover, true and true, and think it's the fairest one of all, but this thing is 4tec!! RELIABILITY!!! EFFICIENCY!!!! FINALLYYYYY I plan to get rid of one of my skies for this baby!

Not bad, im seriously contemplating one. I hope it doesn't kill the value of the 96 XP I was planning to sell in the spring

Not bad, im seriously contemplating one. I hope it doesn't kill the value of the 96 XP I was planning to sell in the spring

I'm thinking about just parting mine out, and putting the money to the side. I have a great running, good looking ski, but the fact is... it's worth 2x more as parts.

I'm thinking about just parting mine out, and putting the money to the side. I have a great running, good looking ski, but the fact is... it's worth 2x more as parts.

I'm going to try and sell mine whole, no way I could part it after all the work I've put into it. If I don't sell it for what I want, oh well I'll just ride it. :)

So the Sea Doo dealer in my area is closed on Monday, but you can bet I will be blowing up their phone Tomorrow AM.
This will be perfect for the wife and me. It has not been as fun at the lake for us ever since I sold our matching 94 SPx's and bought a Challenger 1800. She has already picked out Her ski's color. :thumbsup:

Going to order 2 for an early spring delivery. Hopefully they can accommodate my wishes, but the way these skis are destined to fly out of the dealers, I'm not sure...hmmmmm!

Tony,

Don't even think about parting out your XP, I'm sure many members of this forum, myself included would be willing to give more than market price for your ski. Plus you wouldn't have the hassle of selling and shipping the parts.

Lou

Whats a ball park price parting out a nice 96 xp? All stock besides solas impeller and rd intake grate

If it's clean, and the engine has full compression... Over $2k.

Engine: $800
Starter: $75
MPEM: $120
Hood: $75
Gauges: $70 each
VTS: $100
Pump: 80
Impeller: $80 (good aftermarket)
Grate:$100 (good aftermarket)
Seat: $100
Coil: $40
CDI: $65
Carbs: $130
Driveshaft: $30
Storage bucket: $30
Misc Electronics: $70
Misc Mechanical; (choke, throttle, fuel valve, ect) $100
Cover: $50~$80 (if you have one)

So... that's a little over $2k there. But obviously... all prices are give and take depending on the market, time of year, and how clean they are. Oh... and your credibility. Also... if you have a clean trailer, it's good for $300 to $500.

OK... that's not really 2x more... but even without the trailer... it's 1.5x more.

It's easier to sell parts in the winter, when guys are working on their toys. Selling an entire ski in the winter is impossible. Also... in my case... I have a double trailer, So that wouldn't go with the XP. And it's very hard to sell a ski without a trailer.

It kind of kills me to sell it as parts... but I don't think I have a choice.

Tony,

Don't even think about parting out your XP, I'm sure many members of this forum, myself included would be willing to give more than market price for your ski. Plus you wouldn't have the hassle of selling and shipping the parts.

Lou

Make me an offer. I'd like to see it go to a good home.

Last edited by a moderator:
If everybody starts parting their ski's out, it's gonna create a glut on the market, and lower the price of used parts. Maybe I'm not thinking with my head, but I hate to see good ski's die.

Tony,

Give me a day or two, actually, I've got a son in South Carolina who's been looking for a good used ski. I think if I bought it now I would have to get a divorce, I just bought a boat a few weeks ago. BTW, I found the boat while looking for a SeaDoo for a winter project, too good a deal to pass up. If SeaDoo had released the Spark three weeks ago this might have been a different story.

Lou

Tony,

Give me a day or two, actually, I've got a son in South Carolina who's been looking for a good used ski. ..................

Lou

OK... I'm in no rush. They couldn't give me a real price yet. I think I'm going to order an orange 3 seat version, and get the manual reverse.

I'm also going to see if they will sell it to me "In the box" so I can do a "Un-Crating the Spark" thread.

Ill hold out till spring and see what I can get. If I could get 1800 ill be happy.

I think you can only get manual reverse on the 2 seater.

So the Sea Doo dealer in my area is closed on Monday, but you can bet I will be blowing up their phone Tomorrow AM.
This will be perfect for the wife and me. It has not been as fun at the lake for us ever since I sold our matching 94 SPx's and bought a Challenger 1800. She has already picked out Her ski's color. :thumbsup:

Going to order 2 for an early spring delivery. Hopefully they can accommodate my wishes, but the way these skis are destined to fly out of the dealers, I'm not sure...hmmmmm!

I would offer to them that you are willing to put money down NOW... And that this good faith money will hold two skis for you..

Back