RXT IS shutting off when wake jumping

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jhjesse

Ok all GTX and RXT IS owners, why is it that every time I jump a wake my RXT shuts off and the dash lights up? I just push the start button and the ski fires right back up, but it is kind of an annoyance.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Connection issue of some sort. Could be a main positive or ground cable or as hard to find as a loose plug...

Also make sure the lanyard is not dropping off a bit on impact. Try the learner key and see if the same thing happens.

Make sure the tip over cut off switch is secure. Check battery connections and give battery a stress amp test.

And carry some sand in your pocket, so if hit by Lightning you will have a neat glassed souvenir. Lol

Make sure the tip over cut off switch is secure. Check battery connections and give battery a stress amp test.

And carry some sand in your pocket, so if hit by Lightning you will have a neat glassed souvenir. Lol

I didn't think of that will check it out. Going for a ride this afternoon.
Are you close to Bakersfield?

I will have to start doing this. Someone might as well get something out of it.. It will look good on the mantle..

ROFLMAO!!!!! Dude, you're killing me!

I'm so far out of touch with these things, it's unreal. However, the most basic of mechanics 101 applies.

Jarring/vibration/running with impacts gives just ONE route of exploration in this instance. Just like in Aviation or vehicles. Somewhere, an electrical connection is being intermittently broken due to the impacts/turbulence/vibrations of operation. OR, a filter is being blocked.

This is going to be a full on bitch to trace down unless it's something as simple as a ground connection issue from the battery to engine. It could require your going through every single electrical plug and testing each pin. Or, it could be one single pin on a connector has corrosion. It will require a degree of attention to detail you may not be accustomed to.

I've seen these things be everything from a fuel pump filter screen being clogged to a single wire somewhere in a wire bundle being damaged. Just because you replaced a fuel filter doesn't rule out the chance of the fuel pump pickup screen being clogged. You'll have to run the gambit of troubleshooting schemes. It sucks. But it is what it is. Good luck to you Sir!

I agree,, this could be a challenge... Certainly worth looking at the TOPS.

I would remove all the main negative and hot wires, wiggles the ends, if they crunch or white powder comes out, replace them. Re-connect them once you clean the ends and where they mount. Use dielectric grease when putting them back together..

I agree,, this could be a challenge... Certainly worth looking at the TOPS.

I would remove all the main negative and hot wires, wiggles the ends, if they crunch or white powder comes out, replace them. Re-connect them once you clean the ends and where they mount. Use dielectric grease when putting them back together..

Very good advice.

Man, I do not envy you your tasks.

Ok went out today and the ski ran great, but I only had one chance to do some jumping. All the connections under the handle bars are tight and clean. Checking everything else will require removing the rear seat spring and then removing the engine cowling just to get to the engine. It will probably have to wait until l get back from A business trip to Vegas next week.

When installing the lanyard can you feel the TOPS piston move? Is this correct?

rather than wait for a wake to jump, i'd just idle out, pull the seat back and start wiggling wires, or hook it up to a hose and do the same.

That's how we found a bad ground on my old yamaha, (got that bright idea after 2 hours with a voltage meter)

funny thing, the ground looked absolutely perfect when connected, but lots of corrosion on the bottom side.

So pulled the fuses one by one cleaned with electronic connection cleaner and used dielectric grease to reassemble. Found two fuses with corrosion. Doubt that is the problem but it gives me an excuse to go out and test.

Spim good idea except that on an IS ski when you raise the seat all you see is the cowling around the engine.

111.jpg

112.jpg

Edit: I connected my candoo to the ski today and cleared all the past codes.

So pulled the fuses one by one cleaned with electronic connection cleaner and used dielectric grease to reassemble. Found two fuses with corrosion. Doubt that is the problem but it gives me an excuse to go out and test.

Spim good idea except that on an IS ski when you raise the seat all you see is the cowling around the engine.

111.jpg

112.jpg

That is VERY likely your problem. Looking forward to your water test. I would be willing to bet the issues are cleared unless some other damage has been incurred via the lack of proper maintenance in the past.

I pull all of my fuses after every 15 flushes to reseat and seal them with dielectric grease. This shit doesn't happen on my watch.

I would also bet you solved it...

I pull every fuse every few months just to make sure of a good solid connection.. A poor connection is the biggest cause of ski issues. Be it cables or fuses...

On this ski the starter solenoid is at the base of the battery box. It noticed that it was loose so I took a closer look and found that it just snaps on with no screws holding it in place. I snapped it back in place...seems tight...I think it will hold.

On this ski the starter solenoid is at the base of the battery box. It noticed that it was loose so I took a closer look and found that it just snaps on with no screws holding it in place. I snapped it back in place...seems tight...I think it will hold.

Man, YOU need to ensure it WILL hold. Just saying. I wish you the very best of luck!

My 09 is the same way. But mounted to the left of the battery via a bracket attached to the hull. Slips into a clip.

Update:
Spent a very looooonnnngg week in Las Vegas attending boring meetings until 9:30 every night. Got home Friday night spent Saturday catching up on chores. Sunday is finally here and time to ride.
Took the skis to the lake and had a perfect day. The RXT never shut off once. There must have been at least 50 big twin screw diesel cruiser yachts out making some serious wake.
Lake Norman is glass water compared to where I ski. Sorry guys...NOT! Lol :)

So I guess it is fixed. Thanks for all the assistance.

Update:
Spent a very looooonnnngg week in Las Vegas attending boring meetings until 9:30 every night. Got home Friday night spent Saturday catching up on chores. Sunday is finally here and time to ride.
Took the skis to the lake and had a perfect day. The RXT never shut off once. There must have been at least 50 big twin screw diesel cruiser yachts out making some serious wake.
Lake Norman is glass water compared to where I ski. Sorry guys...NOT! Lol :)

So I guess it is fixed. Thanks for all the assistance.

Time will tell the tale.

;)

I hope it all works out!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back