‘21 Wake 170 dead on water

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

incubusfan

Completely stock PWC, ran great the last 2 years and earlier this season with no issue. Tickle charged battery intermittently in the off season.

Yesterday after running for 30 mins I turned off the Wake for a moment to dock. When I plugged the key back in and tried to hit start, I had no electrical power at all. No lights, sounds, nothing. I popped the seat and saw everything looked okay, no loose connections, fuses okay. After towing back, I tried to re-charge the battery and it is at 100%.

When I hit start I do hear a click (? Ignition) but otherwise no lights, sounds, or other actions. I cleaned the key/DESS as well.

Next appointment at my local shop is two weeks out. I’m not too handy, I would not replace the ECU/MPEM myself. At this point I’m thinking it’s an issue with the key/DESS module or MPEM.

Any expertise would be greatly appreciated!!

I had almost exactly the same problem on a 21 gti-se 170. Rode for 30 minutes and then dead, but my gauges were flickering and it said it could not read the key. I towed it back and eventually swapped the battery out with my other ski. Bam, started right up. But the odd thing is that the battery tests at 12.6VDC. But on a charger it immediately goes into trickle mode because the charger thinks it is full. But then put the battery in my other ski and it had the same no start, just a click problem. So the battery had just suddenly died with good voltage but NO amps. Odd. Maybe a bad batch of batteries in 2021 (covid times...)

I had almost exactly the same problem on a 21 gti-se 170. Rode for 30 minutes and then dead, but my gauges were flickering and it said it could not read the key. I towed it back and eventually swapped the battery out with my other ski. Bam, started right up. But the odd thing is that the battery tests at 12.6VDC. But on a charger it immediately goes into trickle mode because the charger thinks it is full. But then put the battery in my other ski and it had the same no start, just a click problem. So the battery had just suddenly died with good voltage but NO amps. Odd. Maybe a bad batch of batteries in 2021 (covid times...)

This is the right answer. Swapped out the battery and good to go!

Agreed they probably cheaped out on the batteries during the Covid shortages.

Back