2007 GTI randomly dies after about 30 minutes.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Jnall63

2007 GTI. Started about a week ago, really first time out this year. It will start fine, be sluggish for a few minutes then just bust out into full rpm’s, then after about 20-30 minutes just shuts off like you hit the stop button. Reinstall lanyard and gauge cluster comes on, says welcome aboard, and does nothing. No beeps, no codes. Towed it back and trailered it, checked fuses okay, battery terminals clean, came back today and fires right up. 20 minutes later same thing, sluggish, then wide open, ride a few minutes and dies again. Towed back to ramp, loaded on trailer. Put key back in and magically beeps and fires up. Posts for DESS are clean, fuses good, terminals good. I have a heavy equipment and truck background, and usually when that happens it’s an ECM issue when they get hot. I’m at a loss here, do they store codes like a truck in the ECM? The sluggish rpm’s related to other issue? Thanks

These issues are difficult to trace without codes of ECU software like CanDoo.

If there are no beeps afterwards it would have to be the DESS post, wiring, or ECU.

The magnetic reed switch in the post is what starts and kills the engine. If it is bad, the machine will think the key is off to kill and not present to start.

You can try jumping the connector to see if that is the case. I don't have wiring diagram for your machine but they should be easily found online.

If the DESS Post is good, the ECU would next.

One other thing is checking the grounds on the engine. There are 3 of them up on the front on the block up by the oil filler.

Will do, could the switch also be the problem where it runs sluggishly, then will run like a scalded dog? The 2 might not be related but it’s I don’t know, like it’s in the reduced power mode, few bumpy wakes and then just starts acting fine, then the thing just shuts off, doesn’t matter at full the or idle. Plugs are good, non ethanol 93 is all they get gas wise.

There's a 30 amp relay in the fuse box that I would replace , it is responsible for all the power when the DSS is attached , as far as the sluggish performance ?? Maybe it's also responsible or a different problem in itself, fix one problem first.

I’m having the same issue. Did you ever figure out what was wrong? Any updates would be appreciated?

Well funny story is I haven’t touched it since I wrote that earlier question, been crazy busy then got hurt and couldn’t ride it, hopefully will be able to piddle on it next couple weeks and will let you know

Back