RXT Hood Strut issue FIXED ***VIDEO***

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

KK40384

Premium Member
Premium Member
After picking my brain on what can cause it to come off when the hood is shut, here's what I found:

[youtube]-th6hRbCwQI[/youtube]

The bolt hoding on that bracket was cross threaded on from the factory. Seemed tight when you put a wrench to it but the bracket was loose. Tightened it more and it snapped. replaced it with a new bolt, washers, and nut and now is solid and works like it should

So KK40384, was it a successful fix? And if so, what is it exactly that you tightened / fixed?

My RXT went for 4 years or more before the strut came off. I replaced the strut with a new one and now it comes off all the time. It's a pain in the **** to put back together, so if your solution works, I'd be grateful for more detail so I can do the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
It worked so far for the rest if the season. I put it through a beating or 2 and it still held up. What I ended up tightening was the actual linkage that the strut mount is bolted to. Undo the linkage from the hood and let it fall while holding the hood up. That will replicate the position of the linkage with the hood being shut. Check for side to side play and tighten accordingly till the play is gone. That solved my problem. All of this is assuming you have had you're bottom mounting bracket relocated by the dealer. There was a recall of sorts on that.

All of this is assuming you have had you're bottom mounting bracket relocated by the dealer. There was a recall of sorts on that.

I remember reading something about relocating the bottom mount last summer when the strut first fell off. Something about moving it towards the port side? Oh well, sounds like I need to get that done.

As for the recall of sorts, it wasn't an official Seadoo recall was it? I mean it's probably unlikely that the dealer will do it for free ....?

At the end of the day, is moving the bottom mount ultimately the solution to the hood strut problem?

Yes and no. It didn't fix mine because when the dealer did my recall (which wasn't really a recall, more like if you complain they fix it for free and if you don't then oh well) he removed the linkage for some reason and didn't tighten it properly. Took me a long time to find the problem. Everything seemed tight with the strut attached and good opened. Even if they won't fix it for free it's a small job and won't cost you more that $50. You can do it yourself if you have a rivet gun. You only move it over about 3/4 of an inch to the right (starboard) side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back