Remove 07 GTI SE top Cover

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

tonydiato

I guess I need to remove the black top cover in order to tighten 4 screws to hold down the steering column. The bottom two are loose. I noticed there are few rivits holding this in place. Do I drill these out? Can I just replace these with just screws? Do I also need to remove the Center compartment box to remove the lid?

I just need to get access to the 4 bolts that secure the steering column. It's a little loose.

Thanks,

Attachments

• IMG_5938 2.JPG
    IMG_5938 2.JPG
    298.2 KB · Views: 11
I have this same ski - and love it. And I also have a 2021 GTI SE. I will answer what I can, and you may need a shop manual or parts diagram to answer the rest.

The center console lid comes off by locating the cut out half circle where the lid tabs slide back and forth. The cut out area is where you can pull or pry the lid tab out of the channel it slides in without breaking the lid tab off. The cut out is so you only have to pull or pry a little and lift the one side up thru the cut out area.

Rivets have to be drilled out and cannot be replaced with screws. There are no threads in the hull, just holes, and no space to put a nut on a bolt, so that is where a rivet goes back in. I think I have used a 3/16 drill bit to remove the 4 rivets that hold the storage bin down. I have bought the unique replacement rivets at the Seadoo dealer and a rivet gun from Oreillys.

That all said, I don’t think it is how you go about tightening your steering bolts. I haven’t read the manual, but you should. I use Seadoomanuals.net for my ski. It has been a long time, so I don’t remember exactly, but I removed the yellow handle bar cover, and the plastic cladding around the steering, and had pretty good access to the steering bolts that hold on the handlebar. I had my console box out recently to access the fuel tank straps, and don’t remember seeing steering access bolts. Whatever you are trying to tighten, double check yourself in the shop manual first.

Thanks for your response. This should be under the cover. Under the cover is styrofoam and then the bolts/steering system. Those bolts that you see pictured is what I need to tighten. I have the manual but I can not find anything on removing the cover. The gas tank is under this steering column whicn you can see by removing the front basket where the battery is. When you are talking about cutting out an area, this is the area that slides under the center glovebox so I do not need to remove the glove box? I can just cut out that area and prey open the cover so it slides out?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-05 at 9.55.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-05 at 9.55.47 PM.png
    548.3 KB · Views: 6
No, you don’t cut out anything to get the lid off your center console storage bin - you will see a half circle cut out of the channel where the lid tabs slide. You pry your lid tab out thru the half cut out circle, that makes it easy to do in that cut out area. If you pry your lid tab out over any other area of the channel, you will break the lid tab off. Cut out half circle is left side, about 1 inch down from the top.

Attachments

• F310DE61-7EAB-4DA0-A3B2-577CCCDE006C.jpeg
    F310DE61-7EAB-4DA0-A3B2-577CCCDE006C.jpeg
    297.6 KB · Views: 5
No, you don’t cut out anything to get the lid off your center console storage bin - you will see a half circle cut out of the channel where the lid tabs slide. You pry your lid tab out thru the half cut out circle, that makes it easy to do in that cut out area. If you pry your lid tab out over any other area of the channel, you will break the lid tab off. Cut out half circle is left side, about 1 inch down from the top.
this is not what i am talking about. I do not want to remove this. I want to remove the top cover that the mirrors are connected to, to get to the steering counsole.

You might want to remove the sun visor cover over your cluster first by pulling up sharply on the visor part over the gauge. You feel like you might break it, but it should snap off. Then you can push out the cluster and see what access you have thru the top. Just an idea…

if you need to remove the whole hood steering cover, i see 6 rivets on mine. A 3/16 or larger drill bit like 7/32 works even better to loosen the top of the rivets. You will need to get replacement rivets from the Seadoo dealer. And you may need to take out the console storage box after all - my box looks like it is slightly sitting over the whole hood steering cover on the top edges of the storage box.

Hope it all works out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back