Installing bumper corners - rivets, screws or bolts?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

bigJake

I'm installing a new rear bumper corner on a '97 GSX.
The old one broke and I drilled out the rivets. The holes in the replacement corner don't quite line up with the original so I have to drill new holes in the fiberglass to attach. I have rivets that are slightly larger than what was originally used that I think would be just long enough to reach all the way thru the fiberglass but I'd have to drill a larger diameter hole to confirm. However, I'm thinking stainless steel screws or bolts would be a more secure way to go and would make removal much simpler if I ever have to remove the corner again. Will screws hold well enough in the fiberglass (I already have those), or should I buy SS bolts/nuts?

Attachments

• IMG_20230504_145532.jpg
    IMG_20230504_145532.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 6
I had to replace mine too on my 2000 RD. Flip the bumper around, and check it on both side sides. I was able to get two of the holes lined up by doing this, so I only had to drill one hole. I used a stainless screws since I was able to get the rivet gun to fit in the holes.

Whatever you decide make sure it is not sharp on the backside. It is never fun grabbing the rail at the ramp and getting a huge gash in your hand, even less fun when it happens to your significant other and you get the WTF!

That's a good point! I just went and checked mine, and confirmed my crews are not coming through the backside. I think I used the same size screw that's used for the front bumper, but just got shorter ones.

Whatever you decide make sure it is not sharp on the backside. It is never fun grabbing the rail at the ramp and getting a huge gash in your hand, even less fun when it happens to your significant other and you get the WTF!
Sounds like advice from experience :)

I had to replace mine too on my 2000 RD. Flip the bumper around, and check it on both side sides. I was able to get two of the holes lined up by doing this, so I only had to drill one hole. I used a stainless screws since I was able to get the rivet gun to fit in the holes.
Me too...hard to get a rivet gun into the recess...stainless screws that do not cut/protrude.

I use the same rivets I use on the rest of the bumper install. I think they are 3/16" by 1" long. I just put a few washers on the rivet gun and have not problems. It is a bit of a pain but once and dun. :D

I use the same rivets I use on the rest of the bumper install. I think they are 3/16" by 1" long. I just put a few washers on the rivet gun and have not problems. It is a bit of a pain but once and dun. :D
This exactly but I use a small nut as a spacer on the gun.

I've dealt with similar situations before. If you're concerned about the screws holding well in the fiberglass, using stainless steel bolts and nuts is a safer bet for long-term security. They'll provide a stronger hold and make future removal easier. Plus, it's always good to have a more reliable connection. Go with the bolts from https://www.scrooz.com.au/; they're good.
Best of luck with your rear bumper corner replacement!

Last edited:
I've been threatening to machine a spacer. LOL I like the nut idea. Gotta be easier than those little washers.
Good morning gentleman, I’m going to need to re attach my from bumper at some point, It’s just hanging on now by one rivet. The spacer you are referring too, do you put it on the shank of the rivet before you put the rivet in the rivet gun? How thick of a spacer should I use? Or can I use?

If that is the front bumper you can find some stainless screws and washers to attach that. The Bumper is rubber so not has rigid as the rear corners. I've seen many using stainless steel course threaded screws to secure the front bumper. They bumper takes a heck of a beating and sometimes the fiberglass hull to which it attaches gets damaged as well.

As far as riveting, since the base of the rivet is deeply recessed into the bumber a spacer is needed on top of the rivet (between the rivet and the gun) to allow the gun to push firmly against the part being riveted. I have used small washers, usually about 6 will get it done, but a spacer of some type would be much better. Good Luck !!

If that is the front bumper you can find some stainless screws and washers to attach that. The Bumper is rubber so not has rigid as the rear corners. I've seen many using stainless steel course threaded screws to secure the front bumper. They bumper takes a heck of a beating and sometimes the fiberglass hull to which it attaches gets damaged as well.

As far as riveting, since the base of the rivet is deeply recessed into the bumber a spacer is needed on top of the rivet (between the rivet and the gun) to allow the gun to push firmly against the part being riveted. I have used small washers, usually about 6 will get it done, but a spacer of some type would be much better. Good Luck !!
Thank you, I will use whatever I have around, maybe some washers or a small nut, thinking some steel fuel or brake line could work also but now I understand what I’m doing anyways

Back