Rebuild supercharger vs. buy new X-Charger

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Prokesh

Hi I'm new to the Forum and also new to boating! I'm almost sure this issue has been addressed in other threads, I did a search, but couldn't find it. I might just not be up-to-par on the correct lingo or vocabulary, or might just not be searching correctly. If someone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated!

I bought a used SeaDoo boat with a 215-HP 4-Tec SCIC (Supercharged) Rotax engine. The boat is a 2007, but the motor, charger and plumbing all appear to be significantly newer than the boat, but I don’t know of any way to verify this. I did some research, and now I’m scared to death about some issues I’ve read about “ceramic clutch washers” coming apart in the super chargers prior to 2008. The suggested maintenance calls for a SC rebuild every 100 hours/2 years, so I want to pull it out and have it done asap anyway.

I found one place that does the complete SC rebuild by mail. Price plus Shipping and insurance puts me a tad under $500. I also considered the 260 X-Charger kit (with new injectors included) for $1200. Assuming the injectors are due for replacement anyway, I’m faced with the following delima: Pull the SC one weekend, seal everything up and let it sit while I send it off, wait, then re-install the same “rebuilt” charger for $500 plus drop $300 for new injectors the next weekend…, or spend a little more, do the whole job myself turn-key in one weekend, install a “Brand-New” X-charger and new injectors and I can cash in on a 45-HP gain for $400 difference.

Questions:
Is there any way to physically verify if a supercharger (or motor) has been replaced?

Does the X-Charger have the crappy ceramic washers too?

Would anyone recommend for, or against the idea of upgrading to the X-charger kit?

Is the “X-Charger kit” safe to do with a 215hp 4-Tec motor? Will it require any ECU modification?

Any input or ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!

-Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Chris, Welcome to the forums!

I know nothing about superchargers or the feasibility of what you are proposing. but I vote for the x-charger kit!!!! either way I think you are smart to deal with the washers. unless you know for a fact they have been replaced, I would service them now.

I rebuild mine via PWC Muscle earlier this year. turn around was quick, I think 6 days from shipping to having them back. I had the ET 127 wheel installed instead of going with the X-Charger. The ceramic bearing were not used long, and neither the rebuild or X-Charger will have them. Since it is boating season, I'd probably go the x-charger route, unless I knew there was gonna be a weekend I was not going to be using it. Figure 2-3 hours to remove and install your single SC. I'll post a couple links for tools that will make it easier later today.

I recommend you pull the injectors to see what you have, in another thread we are discussing how our boats, 210 challengers, already had 48 lbs injectors. I now have 2 sets of 42 lbs injectors I'm going to need to return or sell.... That will also tell you if the motor was changed for some reason.

There are no ceramic washers being produced or sold anymore. Haven't had them for several years now. If your supercharger has been rebuild then you have no worries about ceramic washers.

Hey Chris,

We can rebuild your supercharger for you but if you are looking for the quickest turn around I recommend you get the xcharger and injector bundle. We also have a core trade in available on your current supercharger that will knock some of the price down.

1. An untouched SC would have the factory crimped clamps
2. No ceramic washers, metal only
3. very safe

Here is the rebuild:
Sea-Doo Supercharger Rebuild Service

Here is the combo:
Sea-Doo X-Charger and 42LB Injector Combo

Give us a call 888 605 2335

Hey Chris,

We can rebuild your supercharger for you but if you are looking for the quickest turn around I recommend you get the xcharger and injector bundle. We also have a core trade in available on your current supercharger that will knock some of the price down.

1. An untouched SC would have the factory crimped clamps
2. No ceramic washers, metal only
3. very safe

Here is the rebuild:
Sea-Doo Supercharger Rebuild Service

Here is the combo:
Sea-Doo X-Charger and 42LB Injector Combo

Give us a call 888 605 2335

Would this kit work on a 2008 seadoo challenger 180 with 215hp and what kind of core trade would be available?

Greg sir, You are the man! I read your reply and ran straight outside in the rain to look at the hose clamps! A clue so simple I feel like an idiot. Bad part is I stared straight at it at least half a dozen times since I read about the ceramic washers to figure out the removal process. Both hoses coming in and out of the charger have aftermarket threaded hose clamps instead of the factory crimps! ...further, I know this wasn't just a hose replacement because the other end of the hose has the factory crimp band still on the other end. Even worse...I'm a 25 year cop and chief investigator and totally-completely missed that!

In your opinion, is there a degraded longevity issue with the stronger X-Charger or advantage to stock charger? ...It is a 10 year old boat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Greg sir, You are the man! I read your reply and ran straight outside in the rain to look at the hose clamps! A clue so simple I feel like an idiot. Bad part is I stared straight at it at least half a dozen times since I read about the ceramic washers to figure out the removal process. Both hoses coming in and out of the charger have aftermarket threaded hose clamps instead of the factory crimps! ...further, I know this wasn't just a hose replacement because the other end of the hose has the factory crimp band still on the other end. Even worse...I'm a 25 year cop and chief investigator and totally-completely missed that!

In your opinion, is there a degraded longevity issue with the stronger X-Charger or advantage to stock charger? ...It is a 10 year old boat.

Great news! Sometimes its the easy things that are overlooked.

If you are still wondering about the supercharger we do free inspections. You can send it in and we will let you know if you need a rebuild or not. If it has been over 2 years we will recommend it.

As for the xcharger, it wears within the same time table that the 215 supercharger does. The advantage would be the added power that you will experience!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back