Project 2007 Sea Doo Challenger 180

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Mcrumb

Premium Member
Premium Member
Was able to find a 2007 Sea Doo Challenger 180, the boat and seats are all original
not modified or molested. Just looking to make a nice sand bar island hopper boat
for me and the wife. No real maintenance records, can tell the super charger has
been removed due to aftermarket hose clamps .Going to post my progress with updates
to this post. So far changed the plugs and the oil and added Thrust Vector fins. Working
on removing the old decals and have ordered new jet pump, impeller , carbon seal kit,
and will send out the super charger to be rebuilt. I also have added swim platform mats.
I hope to read and learn from this site.
thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3542.jpeg
    IMG_3542.jpeg
    349.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3584.jpeg
    IMG_3584.jpeg
    205.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3585.jpeg
    IMG_3585.jpeg
    197.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3574.jpeg
    IMG_3574.jpeg
    255.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3578.jpeg
    IMG_3578.jpeg
    227.5 KB · Views: 21
Nice project you have there, I am doing something similar with an 05. I would pull the air intake hose off and see if you can spin the turbo fin by hand, if you haven't done so already. That will tell you if the SC is still in good shape or not, can't spin and your good.

Looking forward to seeing your post's. Good luck with your project!

Thanks for your reply, removing the super charger hose is where I spotted the
aftermarket clamps. Can’t spin the turbo but while I am doing the drive line
just want piece of mind so going to have that new 200 hour rebuild kit installed.
I understand not to go to 200 hours but it is a good complete kit.
Also your project is looking good.

Attachments

• IMG_3557.png
    IMG_3557.png
    464.2 KB · Views: 16
I sent my Turbo out to be rebuilt with that kit. Got the whole thing done for ~450 kit included. I used GreenHulk. I got his reco from the CANDoo forum.

I should do what your doing, post a thread on this stuff in general. I am about to pull the engine because I wasn't so lucky on the SC and had it blow on me while out on my first full day ... So I am going to try and clean it out or replace with an SBT long block.

Best to you on your project!

Sorry about your motor problem. Short block sounds like the way to go.
keep us posted And best of luck. Thanks for the tip on the Green Hulk rebuild.
As I fix or replace items on the boat I will post here. Always welcome for tips
and advice.

I had a 2008 Sea-Doo 230 Wake, loved that boat! I’d suggest changing the oil cooler. I had one fail, miserable to clean once the oil mixes with the coolant. Also I’d check for corrosion of the DES wires that ground to the rear of the block and the main grounding wire on bottom of block that you can reach by hand blindly…if it is set up like mine. Your gonna love that boat!

Thanks for the tip. Still waiting for SBT to deliver all my drive line parts. So decided to go a head
and give the trailer some love. It is in good shape but all from 2007 ,installed all new LED lights so much better,
Trailer guides ( wife pulls the boat out of the water she can’t back up the truck) Then changed out the bias ply
tires for some radials and even had them balanced. We plan to take the boat several times to Key Largo.
This lead to ordering a complete axel bearing kit to finish the job. Project continues
IMG_3597.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3630.png
    IMG_3630.png
    698.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3628.png
    IMG_3628.png
    679.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3626.png
    IMG_3626.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
Time to get to work all of my drive line parts have arrived.
New boat owner jumping into the deep end Fingers crossed.

Attachments

• IMG_3599.jpeg
    IMG_3599.jpeg
    273.5 KB · Views: 11
Wow, you went all out with a new pump housing as well. That's cheating, your supposed to complain, swear and get bloody knuckles over getting the wear ring out. :D

Well Sunday and this being my first boat, had a bolt strip holding the nozzle support
to the pump so I tried to remove the pump as one part and the pump was corroded
to the drive shaft after some PV Blaster a hammer and a bad attitude was able to get it.
Then went to work on the striped frame bolt had success with a over sized Allen wrench
installed in my hammer drill and got it out. simple project turned into 4 hours.
The ware ring is gone and the impeller beat up. Purchased a new pump so I can
have the other as a back up and get a few more tools to be able to rebuild Myself.
went and painted all the parts and called it a day.This Saturday will remove the
carbon seal and boot and pull the drive shaft it may need to be replaced also.

Attachments

• IMG_3604.jpeg
    IMG_3604.jpeg
    428.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3603.jpeg
    IMG_3603.jpeg
    406.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3605.jpeg
    IMG_3605.jpeg
    265 KB · Views: 10
Was just busting chops, but I don't blame you, I have the tools and wanted to buy a new pump at the time and none were in stock anywhere.

Looks great, you should have a great looking and performing boat when your done.

Please bust away, I am a rookie with the boat. I am mechanically inclined
but learning. You should have seen me docking it the fist time in wind
with a 1 to 2 ft chop looked like Gilligan. First purchase was Thrust Vectors.🫣

Making progress on the drive line, got the new PTO bearing and boot, new carbon seal kit
and new driveshaft installed also cleaned the engine compartment hull with degreaser.
Then last night installed the new pump ware ring and stainless steel impeller. Also the
supercharger is back from Green Hulk. cleaned out the J pipe and drilled the 3 holes
larger for better flow. Hope to have it all back together this weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_3627.jpeg
    IMG_3627.jpeg
    305.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3629.jpeg
    IMG_3629.jpeg
    248.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3626.jpeg
    IMG_3626.jpeg
    267.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3623.jpeg
    IMG_3623.jpeg
    277.5 KB · Views: 11
Finally finished installing the new drive line parts From the engine back.
Just need to install the rebuilt Supercharger, exhaust, and all the lines back
up and will be able to water test.

Attachments

• IMG_3627.jpeg
    IMG_3627.jpeg
    305.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3632.jpeg
    IMG_3632.jpeg
    209.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3630.jpeg
    IMG_3630.jpeg
    205.8 KB · Views: 7
Finally got it all back together today. This has definitely been a learning experience .
Ran it on the hose in the driveway so far so good next finding a chance to get a water
test. On the water test I will try for some video so we see the RPM’s of an all new drive
line.

Attachments

• IMG_3633.jpeg
    IMG_3633.jpeg
    231.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3634.jpeg
    IMG_3634.jpeg
    310.2 KB · Views: 9
After work yesterday I installed the duel USB charger with Volt meter ,then built a rack for the
ski locker to keep my Bumpers and lines out of any water that may accumulate . When I purchased
the boat it Had wet slimy moldy old Bumpers and lines that went in the trash.

Attachments

• IMG_3638.jpeg
    IMG_3638.jpeg
    165.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3641.jpeg
    IMG_3641.jpeg
    199.5 KB · Views: 10
Went ahead and upgraded the courtesy lights to LED bulbs much better.
Then finally installing the rest of the Marine Mats I got at 40% off from
Jet Boat Pilots Oct Sale. Project is just about finished time to enjoy.

Attachments

• IMG_3646.jpeg
    IMG_3646.jpeg
    246.8 KB · Views: 10
Wow, nice progress! The engine is a lot more work then it seems isn't it? Great idea to make the grate for the locker. I am planning on dong the same thing at some point. I also did the led blue courtesy light upgrade, much nicer.

Good luck on the maiden voyage after your upgrades, let us know how things go!

Thanks for the compliments, The engine and drive line work was a lot of work
being that I have never had a boat and wanted to make sure it was done correctly.
Went out Sunday for the maiden voyage at a lake in Immokalee, Fl. I was very happy
with the way it ran, didn’t run it real hard but a nice shake down cruise. Wanted to
run the gas tank down so I can pull the fuel pump and change the filters And then
install the Hummingbird depth finder.

Attachments

• IMG_3788.jpeg
    IMG_3788.jpeg
    339.8 KB · Views: 9
Sounds like a big relief to be able to do that after all of that work.

Curious how fast you got it up to? I am hoping for mid to upper 40's when mine is back together.

Back