oxidation

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jlasala

anyone know of a good method of taking oxidation off? i bought some wax stuff from academy, but it didn't really work.

thanks,

The best on the market

Being a neurotic person and also being a detailing freak for 20 years I set out several months ago to find the best product for making boat gelcoat look like glass. Its not cheap but its incredible when used properly.

Its called "Buff Magic" made by Yacht Brite. This stuff is so good that Sea Ray used it on every boat they make. In fact once I learned what Seat Ray does with it I was sold. Every Sea Ray made gets wet sanded then buffed out with Buff Magic. Thats right, they wet sand brand new boats to get all imperfections out. Those familiar with wet sanding know that the finish becomes dull and flat until its polished out.

The key to getting incredible results with Buff Magic is using a rotary buffer with wool pad. The Manufacturer says you can use an orbital type buffer but it takes 10 times longer to get results.

If you dont have a rotary buffer you can buy one from Harbor Freight for like $30. Use blue painters tape and tape off moldings, decals and any trim before buffing. Periodically feel surface for excessive heat. You want the surface warm but not hot.

I have tried dozens of compounds and polishes but nothing worked on the gelcoat like Buff Magic. Just remember to follow Buff Magic with a Good sealer as Buff Magic leaves no protection. Your boat will look better than the day it left BRP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I9cEDKSLHE

Craig
anyone know of a good method of taking oxidation off? i bought some wax stuff from academy, but it didn't really work.

thanks,

Color Sanding

I have never done a boat but I have done freshly painted autos. You need to be careful with a rotary buffer. You can burn right through the gel coat if you are not paying attention. The flat areas are pretty easy. It is the curved areas and the angles where you can be in trouble quick. I have found that the blue tape is also good to place in these areas while you are doing the flat spots. Then when you are finished with those, sharpen up your brain and tackle the angles and curves, paying very close attention to what you are doing. If you go to an auto paint store like dupont or any of the majors they usually sell a 3M product which is also made for this on fiberglass cars like Vetts. BTW, you will look like you just helped in breading a mare when you are done. Wear your crap clothes and throw them away when finished. Also wear a face mask to keep the dust out of your lungs.

that is great info... do you think they sell that in any stores, or is it something i would have to pick up online?

I used Vertglas restoration system on my boat. The gel coat on my boat was gone and it was heavily oxidized. Is a three-step system. First, a wash to take out any wax they boat may have. Then a pad and a product are used to get rid of the oxidation and then a sealer is applied. The sealer is what gives it the shine. It came out nice and once you do it, all you have to do is keep sealing it once a year to keep the shine. I used it with great results. With that said i have read some reviews that say that if the boat is left out on the elements the gel coat can get yellowish. I cannot confirm that.

Hi all,

OK… there is only one way to take care of oxidation… and that is to REMOVE it. You can use all the cleaners, waxes, and cover ups you want… but it’s still there. To remove it, you need a variable speed polisher (not a pep boys orbital waxer) and your favorite heavy compound. I like 3M stuff myself. It will take you 4 to 5 hours to do your boat, but when you are done… you will have a sexy boat you will be proud of. Not to mention… if you do wax it after that… it will look that much better. Last thing… Gell unlike your car’s paint, is thick and tough. It’s very hard to burn it, polish threw it… or make swirl marks. (make’s it fool proof)

Here's my spring project... bringing a 96 sportster back to life.

Before: (no shine anywhere)

After: (nice)

65.jpg

Gelcoat

Mike,

Gelcoat is much thicker and harder than auto paint. Im not saying you cant damage it but I have buffed many cars in my day and I can tell you that the gelcoat on boats takes alot to burn it in comparison to auto paint.

Craig

I have never done a boat but I have done freshly painted autos. You need to be careful with a rotary buffer. You can burn right through the gel coat if you are not paying attention. The flat areas are pretty easy. It is the curved areas and the angles where you can be in trouble quick. I have found that the blue tape is also good to place in these areas while you are doing the flat spots. Then when you are finished with those, sharpen up your brain and tackle the angles and curves, paying very close attention to what you are doing. If you go to an auto paint store like dupont or any of the majors they usually sell a 3M product which is also made for this on fiberglass cars like Vetts. BTW, you will look like you just helped in breading a mare when you are done. Wear your crap clothes and throw them away when finished. Also wear a face mask to keep the dust out of your lungs.

Wet sand with 1000 grit than 1500 than 2000, sand in one direction, finish up with compound then polish both by hand in the same direction, top off with wax. takes alot of elbow grease but can be done in one day, mine now has a mirror finish

Hi all,

OK… there is only one way to take care of oxidation… and that is to REMOVE it. You can use all the cleaners, waxes, and cover ups you want… but it’s still there. To remove it, you need a variable speed polisher (not a pep boys orbital waxer) and your favorite heavy compound. I like 3M stuff myself. It will take you 4 to 5 hours to do your boat, but when you are done… you will have a sexy boat you will be proud of. Not to mention… if you do wax it after that… it will look that much better. Last thing… Gell unlike your car’s paint, is thick and tough. It’s very hard to burn it, polish threw it… or make swirl marks. (make’s it fool proof)

Here's my spring project... bringing a 96 sportster back to life.

Before: (no shine anywhere)

After: (nice)

65.jpg

wow that is a thing of beauty!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back