oil pump spring

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jackson09

hi everyone. i have a 95 spi that is having problems with the oil pump. i think some sort of spring broke on the part that the throttle cable connects to. it will pull up to let oil in, but wont go back. Im no mechanic but i assume this was flooding the engine or carbs with oil, and the ski wouldnt run if you pulled the throttle. I fixed this by jerry rigging a spring from the little pulley on the pump to one of the motor mounts. this made the ski run fine for months, but now i cant get the spring to work right anymore. my question is do i have to get a whole new oil pump or can i just replace the spring inside? I tried to get my ghetto spring to work yesterday and it looked like it was working outside of the water but once i got in the water the ski sounded really weird and muffled (nothing sucked up into it) and it would only rev a little bit and maybe go like 5mph. Does anyone have any idea why this would happen? Did the carbs get clogged or the spark plugs get fouled?

check the plugs, and if you dont replace the pump spring or replace thee entire pump assy, then i'd block it off, and go premix. No need to put a 1000 dollar motor at the hands of a 1 dollar spring..(spring that you got going to the mount).:cheers:

Compression?

With the statement you made about the sound and the speed and with the problems you've had in the past, jury rigging a spring, ........I'd def do a compression test on your engine to see if it's been damaged.

With what you quoted above, I would not doubt that this motor might alread have some cylinder issues.

You can buy the compression gage at a local Auto Parts store for $25 bucks or less...........

ok i have a gauge ill check it tomorrow. could something really happen with it having too much oil? the arm always opened up and wouldnt go down so it was just pouring oil in and then the engine would stall until i got the spring to work right and pull it back. at least thats what i think was happening. could compression problems arise so soon like that? when it didnt run before and i first figured out the spring and fixed it, it ran just as fine and fast as its brother for months so it just seems weird that all of a sudden it would stop. what would i have to do if there were compression problems? change the rings pistons or whole motor?

Last edited by a moderator:
To much oil.....

No....not really, outside hydro locking or fouling plugs. The one thing you have to remember is you can't compress a liquid, so if you have an over abundant amount of oil and it tries to compress it, you can blow your oil rings...

But, I was just concerned with the statements you made on the noise and speed. Fearing that you've already rigged your pump, the possibility that it was off a bit and actually, ran lean on oil and damaged it.......

But, do the compression test and go from there.........

well i checked compression and thank god its good, its like 145 in both cylinders so i checked the spark plugs and put a new battery in ( the old one was so dead it wouldnt even charge anymore) i cleaned the spark plugs too. ill prolly get some new ones the old ones look pretty bad. anyway i think ill just block off the oil pump before i run it again. can anyone give me a detailed description of how to bypass the oil pump. i dont want to buy the block off kit and i heard someone say before you didnt have to do that. i know i gotta leave one line to the bottom of the crank case or something. anyway, if anyone feels like typing up a step by step thing of how to bypass the oil pump i would definatly appreciate it. thanks

you got the 587(white) motor...locate the oil line that has the filter in it. That line goes to the pump. Block that line, then on the manifold, you'll see 2-little lines, that come from the pump, remove those off the brass fittings, and install little rubber caps from Ace, Home Depot.etc.

Best thing to do, if not the oil block off kit, is to remove the rv cover, then remove the 6-8allen bolts securing the 2-rv covers.(you'll see whatta mean), then remove the gear, thats located inside the cover, and then block the oi line w/ filter....

so all i gotta remove after the rv cover is a gear? i saw a post one time about an oil pump shaft or something, i dont have to be concerned with that right? what does the gear do? i can kinda guess the answer i think but i figure ill just ask while im here. I'm not doubting anyone cause man i dont really have too much of a clue, im just trying to make sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back