Oil Change on 2012 Wake Pro - Dumb question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

scogdell

I just completed an oil change on the Wake Pro. I was able to get about 2.5 quarts out. I started by replacing the same amount and adding. I have now added 3.2 quarts, which is the exact amount that the manual states is the right amount for an oil/filter change.

The ski is sitting level, and yet I can barely get a reading on the dip stick after warming it up and letting it sit for a few minutes.

Do I add more oil?

UPDATE: I added more oil. The full 4 quarts and now I'm getting a good reading. Not quite the middle of the area on the dipstick, but within range. I will wait until first ride next year and check on water.

Question: Why did it take 4 quarts when the manual says 3.2? I had the oil changed by the dealer last year...and can't believe I would lose that much over 1 season (10 rides).

Thank you.
Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to follow the Sea-Doo instructions carefully when adding oil. Run the engine (of a level machine), off and on a few times until it's at "operating temperature", if you haven't ridden it that day. Make sure you don't overheat the carbon ring, and keep the exhaust flushed with running water. After you turn off the engine, let it sit for 30 seconds before reading the dipstick. This is the reference you want. Make sure you don't overfill the engine with oil. If you do, siphon some out. Most people say it's better to have a bit too little oil, than a bit too much. Good luck.

Thank you.

I did all of that exactly, even used a level to verify that it was level. But it took 4 quarts before the oil would get to the correct mark on the dipstick. I'm just wondering why it took 4 quarts, rather than 3.2. Is it possible the engine holds more than 3.2, and 3.2 is just the "typical" amount needed when an oil/filter change is done?

Thanks again.
Steve

My buddy and I just did our oil changes and each of them removed about 3.2 quarts. When I filled up my GTR, it took about 3.5 quarts, and it's now about full. So that suggests that if you fill from bone dry, it could hold about 4 quarts to get to the full line (even though the manual says it's a 3.2 quart capacity system). It's a bit odd, but unless there's oil leaking under the engine, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If it's a bit over, you may find that you lose some performance. Be sure to check the level after your next ride and if you find it's over the top mark, siphon out a bit.

Overfilling the oil this past spring caused some excess oil to be ingested into my SC hose, which
would kill my engine when riding. After I removed enough oil to be at the half way mark I had no more issues. So be aware that too much oil will be a problem.

Yeah, too bad the engine oil has to go through the supercharger.

I like to keep the oil at the top of dipstick on high revving marine engines b/c the oil tends to pile up under the valve cover sometimes, causing the oil pump to airate. The proper way is to check it cold after sitting overnight, or after running the oil has to be at operating temp so it runs back down to the oil pan, wait some period of time for the oil to run back down into the oil pan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back