Yet Another Oil Change Question; 2022 GTR 230

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

asonofsam

So this is my first 4 cycle Jetski, thus first oil and filter change. It is a 2022 GTR 230. A bit confused. Manual that came with ski says oil capacity is 2.12 US quarts, so that is about 68 ounces. I checked oil level before beginning, oil level was about midway on the “safe” area of dipstick. I was able to extract about 73 ounces. So I put new filter in and put 73 ounces of new oil back in. Checking oil level per the manual instructions; Start cold engine, turn on water, idle for 30 seconds, turn off water, run for 15 seconds between 4000 to 5000 RPM, abruptly stop engine by pulling lanyard or pushing red button. Let sit for 30 seconds, then check oil. However I have not reached the “safe” area of dipstick yet. Can I assume if I put it in the water and take it for a ride I could check oil level in water? BTW, ski is level on trailer using level on rub rail. Just doesn’t make sense. Can anybody explain why dipstick can’t just be looked at without this procedure, which manual says must be performed every time oil is checked? Thank you.

Well I scoured your Operators Manual and cannot find any oil capacity info. I did find a Jet Drift spec chart on the web saying 2.12 US quarts oil change with filter but that's wrong. All BRP Operators Manuals state the oil change is a Dealer Service item so no oil change info just oil quantity checking info. The only thing I can figure is that the 2.12 qts is for the 900 ACE which it probably is because they list the HP at 170 and we know that's wrong also.
Everything else you have done is spot on, hopefully you used the recommended BRP oil for the 1630 ACE HO motor.
The correct oil quantity is 3.2 qts with a oil filter change.
So now what happen? You said you extracted 73 ounces which is right for the 900 but should be around 103 ounces for the 1630. So I am guessing your extracted quantity was a bit off. If you add another 32 ounces slowly checking as you fill you should get to the sweet spot between the marks.
BTW download a "Service Manual" for your ski and use it, it will save you money and headaches especially if your "operators manual" states DEALER SERVICE for what your doing.

Once you do get the proper quantity checking your oil at the end of your ride is more routine just pull the dipstick and check. These motors don't use oil unless something is wrong so if its between the marks your good.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. I’ll take a couple of screen shots later of the manual and post them here. It was my understanding not all the oil can be extracted. The manual is for multiple skis so very easily can be in error. I was looking for a hard copy of the service manual, not a pdf. If that’s my only option at this point I’ll do that. I just like book form better that iPad or iPhone. Thank you again for your reply.

All the PDF’s are pirated you won’t find and hard copies, they are dealer only, and you are correct 40% of the oil cannot be extracted so it’s more of a oil replenish than a oil change. 5.2 qts is the oil capacity for your ski.

If you can extract 3.5 litres from it,,,you are doing well,,,i have a 12 inch carpenters level that i place on top of the motor,,,that helps me get the most oil out of it.,,and of course allows me to refill it properly,

Here’s Operator’s Manual, which is where I got the 2.12 US Quarts. Also, I’m guessing this is wrong oil, it’s what they steered me to when I bought the oil filter at dealer.

Attachments

• IMG_0123.jpeg
    IMG_0123.jpeg
    385.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9984.jpeg
    IMG_9984.jpeg
    283.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9985.jpeg
    IMG_9985.jpeg
    343.6 KB · Views: 12
Well you have the right oil and the 169 KW = 230 hp so that's right also, not sure what manual your looking at, below is off the Seadoo website for 2022 Seadoo GTR 230Screenshot 2023-10-10 at 16.32.13.png

Last edited:
I am pretty sure the operator manual for your ski is messed up, they transposed the lubrication requirements between the 900 and 1630 motors. You will find the above chart in your manual under the 900 ACE specs. This would not be the first time I have seen an operators manual messed up. I don't think BRP hires Seadoo engineers to publish their manuals.

Last edited:
That is absolutely mind boggling that a company that size, that makes operates in the aerospace industry where errors like that could result in loss of life, would have such glaring mistakes. So much for their ISO 9001 Certifications. So, bottom line, run ski in water, check dipstick when boat is at rest in water is best practice. I will download a pdf shop manual next. Thanks again.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    372.8 KB · Views: 7
So, bought a service manual online. 291 pages, seller says it is what Seadoo supplies. Please take a look at screen shots attached. I highlighted where it says refer to the Lubrication SubSection for oil change procedure. But Lubrication Sub Section doesn’t exist in index. When you search document, nothing. I am wondering if this is a plagiarized half done attempt or if this is really what it is. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0127.png
    IMG_0127.png
    269.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0125.png
    IMG_0125.png
    896 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0126.png
    IMG_0126.png
    629 KB · Views: 7
So, bought a service manual online. 291 pages, seller says it is what Seadoo supplies. Please take a look at screen shots attached. I highlighted where it says refer to the Lubrication SubSection for oil change procedure. But Lubrication Sub Section doesn’t exist in index. When you search document, nothing. I am wondering if this is a plagiarized half done attempt or if this is really what it is. Thanks!
Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 16.58.22.pngThis is where the oil change info is in my pirated 2011 Wake Pro Service Manual, I do not have access to your 2022 service manual so who knows. Remember to support Right to Repair legislation any chance we get, it would alleviate this piracy BS.

I didn’t know that. Still, I am somewhat surprised documentation is wrong in the manual. Looking at their Corporate Mumbo-Jumbo Webpage they are focused upon all sorts of global goals. You would think Quality would be one of them. Looks like only 4 of 12 plants have any type of ISO Quality in place. As to the Service Manual maybe that’s a result of being “pirated.” I may buy from a different source just to see.

Getting back to the problem and resolution, I put ski in water and everything checked out as being to spec. Next time I will “burp” the engine to extract more oil before refilling.

This forum has been a big help, Thanks to all.

BRP has not been associated with Bombardier aerospace since 2003.
Other than that the Bombardier/Bedouin Family owns 39% of Bombardier Recreational Products and has full ownership Bombardier Inc who owns Bombardier Aerospace.

I owned a 2008 Sea-Doo 230 Wake (boat) with two 215 HP engines…hope this helps. With such small oil volumes, a little oil added will move the oil on the dipstick more than you think. Second, I always had to add a little more after the oil change to account for what the new oil filter absorbed. Lastly, in the driveway, on level, the sweet spot was always just inside the safe zone and then when on the water and fully warm, it would rise to halfway to 3/4’s up the safe zone.

Last edited:
Back