Noise, vibration, and high RPMs at only 10 mph on my 2004 GTX??

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
That sounds like the going price for most shops. You could have put in a refurb impeller and new ring yourself for about $160 including everything you need.

Hi there!

Question Part #1
I have a quick question that runs along the lines of this thread.... I have a 2005 seadoo RXT with 70 hours on it. I recently did a dry start while the ski was on the trailer and noticed some very odd noises coming from inside the hull after 30 seconds of normal operation. I am not sure what is causing this noise but it seriously sounds like the performance of the engine is all of a sudden becoming impaired while the watercraft is sitting on the trailer and I am just leaving it to idle, not touching the throttle.

Question Part #2
After cutting the engine off I crawled underneath the watercraft and grabbed the driveshaft with two fingers. I attempted to wiggle it to see if there was any looseness in the shaft itself. Although the movement is very little, I am able to shake the driveshaft a little bit, enough so where it could very well make a rattling sound outside the water. Is this normal? Is the driveshaft supposed to be so stiff that it cannot be moved in any direction or should there be very little wiggle room if pressure with fingers is applied?

Thank you for your time in reading this post!

Kefir

Last edited by a moderator:
My 2006 RXT had no slack in the driveshaft with the original impeller, also with 70 hrs of operation on it (all freshwater; I recently put a new Solas impeller in it). I'd wonder if your jet pump bearing (behind the impeller) may have failed... water intrusion thru the bearing pack seal could have caused it to rust inside. If that bearing starts having slop in it, it'll let the impeller wobble around rubbing the wear ring (and making noises I'd imagine!). It'd take you about 25 minutes to unbolt the pump and pull it out to verify whether the slack you're feeling is from the impeller moving around or not. It should also be pretty obvious if the impeller is rubbing it's own ring into the wear ring. I don't think you should be able to move the drive shaft by hand, there should be no slack! Pull the anit-cavatation cone off the back of the pump and look for any water or sludge in there with the marine grease... it should be obvious if water is getting in there. If you think something is wrong, then something probably is... go with your gut on this!

ps. 10 seconds max engine run time on trailer without water flowing thru the exhaust system! The exhaust get's hot fast without cooling water being pumped into it, and can cause the exhaust manifold to warp or crack. If you have a water hose hooked to the pump then you can run it for a few minutes on the trailer without harm... but the less time you run it on the trailer the better!

pps. Some noises from the pump when running out of water are normal, there's no load on the impeller and it "shakes" just a little on the drive shaft splines... all jet propulsion units are like this. In the water though there should be no mechanical sounds from the pump whatsoever!

- Michael

I have a 2008 RXP 215 PWC, 44.5 hours at the time of incident yesterday, always properly serviced by the dealer. I got the dreaded vibration, loss of power, and unable to go over 8MPH with terrible vibration and strain. At idle all seems fine moving at the usual 2,3,or 4 MPH, you can hear the supercharger slightly, engine responds perfectly to throttle, but around 2300 RPM and over 8MPH the vibration starts, loss of power is observed and it just makes quite the turbulent behind you. I limped back half way to the launch until some friends showed up to tow me the rest of the way. I left the engine running while in tow to prevent water intrusion to the exhaust as I did not have a set of BRP pinch off clamps for the hose. While being towed I had applied some throttle to the PWC to help keep up with my tower, with this I felt what seemed like slippage, or as if the craft was sucking air and free revving, which was reflected on the Tach too. These symptoms continued for the remaining 2.5 hour limp back to the launch. The dash console has not yet alerted me via audible tone, or message indicator that anything has gone wrong. That is not to say there has been a fault code stored into the computer.
So what I have ascertained so far is the Supercharger blade just inside the intake hose has no play at all, can barely move it one quarter of an inch either direction, I did notice traces of oil on the bottom of the intake hose at the point of connection to the S/C lip. I removed the water intake grate, could not turn the out drive shaft any more than 1/32 of an inch at best straining all the way, I did see a small piece of twig embedded into the wear ring, but could not verify if it was in the path of the impeller. I proceeded to tear down the entire discharge tail, removing the impeller with housing from the splined drive shaft. At closer inspection, the twig didn't really impede the impeller at all. I removed it anyway. and examined the rest of the assembly. The impeller has no nicks at all and the wear ring has roughly half a millimeter clearance from the impeller. I removed the bearing cone for the impeller tail bearing, and all is good there, plenty of grease, and no water intrusion. I have yet to return to the lake to see if my problems are gone. I really feel I did not find anything conclusive and feel my problem will still be there. I am under an extended Best warranty for another 4 years, and really won't tear down any further. Any other ideas???

Go try it again... see if it still behaves the same or not. There may have been more than just a twig in the pump, and it came out when you pulled the hull out of the water. Get me?

ps. The trace of oil in the SC hose indicates there is a bad o-ring, you might aught to schedule an appt. to take it in under warranty and get that fixed before it gets any worse.

- Michael

properly serviced by the dealer./QUOTE]

that sounds like an oxymoron if I ever heard one

Sarcasm? I didn't find any of that either during my tear down. Yes properly serviced by the dealer! With only 48 hours total on a 1 year old 2008 PWC, the only service thus far per BRP is 10 hour plug/oil change, then once a season or every 50. Both services were witnessed by me, and they were kind enough to show me the BRP software information while it was connected to, and reading the water craft. I will try again to see if things are different, I forgot to mention that I went overboard dove under while in very deep water, and stuck my fingers as much as I could into the intake grate and was able to feel some of the drive shaft, and all of the grate. The PWC behaved the same all the way back to the launch till I drove it onto the trailer, at which point I did a final check in the prep area underneath, and into the nozzle. I would be amazed that such a tiny piece of twig could have caused such an issue seeing that the vibration is so strong and definite under the seat indicating drive line issues. But I remain positive and realize anything is possible...

i bought a new solas impeller a new wear ring and the spline tool for 325 with shipping and did it myself never having done one before i am a heavy equip mechanic but it's really not that hard with the info here all the generous souls put up and a little common sense and patience most any one could do it.

hVACWWELDER, your account sounds EXACTLY like what happened to me (minus the towing, we limped 2 hrs back to the dock at 8 mph). And I found nothing in the impeller. Took it back out a week later, per Michael's suggestion, and it ran fine. I would think that if you saw a twig, removed it, and see no further issues, your craft should also run fine next time you put it in the water.

With the kind of RPMs these crafts are operating at, a small obstruction can make a lot of noise and vibration.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

UPDATE....
Finally made it to the lake at 9AM today, nice and quiet at that hour. I have to report that all vibration and malfunctions are gone. Acceleration, thrust, and super charger sounds, all seem to be normal. As mentioned before I found nothing really conclusive, outside of the tiny splinter of cedar wood embedded into the wear ring, and not seemingly in the path of the impeller. It's obvious that the issue was within the water path from intake to nozzle. Definitely an experience for me I guess......

Whatever was in there causing all the mayham, it probably fell out when you loaded up on your trailer.... leaving only that little twig behind. That the twig was embedded in the wear ring forward of the impeller blades suggests that a stick was in there swirling around in front of the impeller, spinning round n round throwing everything out of balance and unable to pass thru the impeller blades. I wouldn't worry about it further... good to hear she's sounding and running perfect now! Have fun, be safe!

- Michael

UPDATE....
Finally made it to the lake at 9AM today, nice and quiet at that hour. I have to report that all vibration and malfunctions are gone. Acceleration, thrust, and super charger sounds, all seem to be normal. As mentioned before I found nothing really conclusive, outside of the tiny splinter of cedar wood embedded into the wear ring, and not seemingly in the path of the impeller. It's obvious that the issue was within the water path from intake to nozzle. Definitely an experience for me I guess......

I got my first twig yesterday..

Cruising along at about 40 MPH, saw this tiny twig going perfectly up and down but not enough time to steer around it. Let off on the throttle and sure enough, I got it.

Tried light throttle power both forward and reverse and it would not clear. Gave it a bit more gas and the impeller cut it in half and cleared it.

All is good....

Reviving an old post but i had an identical issue to what's stated. Ski was running perfect then we went to start after lunch and wouldn't go over 5mph and began to shake insanely under throttle. Before injury i limped it back in. When i returned home and inspected the grate it appeared something was lodged in the impeller not allowing it to turn at all. Removed the grate to find a large rock that was wedged in a way i never thought would come out. After some redneck ingenuity i was able to dislodge it using 2 screw drivers. Barely made a nick in the impeller and saved myself a hefty shop bill and some serious time to not have to completely remove etc but now that I'm more familiar with it thinking i may do the solas upgrade myself thanks 4 the help and pointing me in the right direction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back