Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

NPack

Hey folks,

My 2007 Sea-Doo RXT used to sound very deep and throaty with a consistent low rumble; it would consistently hit ~68mph out on flat water, accelerated great, hit 8k rpms, everything was good. End of last season, I put new oil, spark plugs, and a new display in and then winterized it. (Had to put a new display in because the old one was sunburnt and useless.) This year, I take it out and it start and runs fine(ish) out on the water, but now it has a higher pitched sound, and gone is the low, throaty rumble of the past... It gets out of the hole like it used to, but now I'm only hitting ~63 mph with ~7600 rpms.

Did my new display cause this?
Not sure why I lost 5 mph and 500 rpms, and now my old girl sounds like a Sea-Doo Spark. Because it runs and isn't causing problems, I don't want to take it to a shop and lose out on prime summer. I just want to figure out if this is an issue others have when putting in a new display. With the new display, does it kick in a limiter or do I need to get the ECU flashed to get my performance back?

Some other notes:
- I had the supercharger rebuilt in the middle of last season. Put 10 hours on it where it sounded great and worked exactly like it was supposed to.
- Went into winter with fresh plugs, new oil, stabilizers, and new screen.
- Filled the tank with 93, no ethanol, 13 gallons (my poor wallet).
- Was hitting 63mph (GPS confirmed) on glassy water with the full tank and still hitting 63 later in the afternoon with a quarter tank. One rider (170 lbs).
- 0-60 mph time was about 6 seconds.
- Battery is entering its 3rd season. Stayed on the trickle charger all winter as usual. Fired up fine, no "12V low."
- Engine has 330 hours on it.

I don't think a display will affect this. What can though is the bearings in the pump. Are you able to pull the cone to see what condition the seal and bearings are in?

I have not pulled out the cone to check the bearings in the pump, but certainly worth checking! When you say check the seal, you mean the carbon seal to the supercharger, or a different seal? The carbon seal on the supercharger was in pretty good shape when it was rebuilt 10 hours ago, but like anything with Sea-Doos, that can change quickly lol.

Took it out for a ride yesterday and the sound is definitely coming out of the back side of the ski. Kind of an rehhhh rehhhh rehhhh whirring sound instead of the old wah wah wah sound. For what it's worth, it's more noticeable at idle to 30 mph (1780-4000rpms). Above 30 and it kind of gets drowned out by everything else.

No the seals in the pump that keep oil/grease in and water out.

I pull the cone each spring to make sure it looks like the photos.. full of grease instead of water.

395fd1cdd237f4aae96da4de37ce66ec.jpgc50509b2e41aea95d7bed21f36010f53.jpg

Ah, got it. I'll have to pull out the cone and pump later this week and check. Honestly I haven't checked it in a while, and I really should. Thanks for the advice!

Double checked the oil level because it only takes a minute. It's a bit high, but still well within the acceptable marker on the stick.

Did you take the time to look at the plugs? See what they look like , color etc. they can tell you if it's an engine problem.

The wear ring from the indefinite picture you provided looks suspect,,,that can give you a jet turbine whine,,,and loss of speed,

Hey,

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread! So I pulled the pump over the 4th; the pump seals were good! No water in them. The grease looked the way it's supposed to.

The ECU was married to the display. If it wasn't, I don't think the ski would run at all... (I asked my mechanic to marry them since I didn't have the tools to do it myself. I am assuming they did it right.)

@POPPS, which picture are you referring to and what about the wear ring looks suspect? Honestly when I was looking at the wear ring, I thought it was fine because I don't have any deep scratches and it felt pretty smooth. I'll have to go back and measure the gap. I should have done that when I had it out. It's also the original stainless steel wear ring. Not sure what their life is, but the impeller and ring are both 15 years old now.

Ski has 330 hours on it. Would that really be end-of-life for a SS wear ring and impeller?

Are you sure it's stainless? Seadoo factory wear rings are not stainless, but like nylon or delrin material. There are some aftermarket stainless wear rings, but no one recommends using them.

Double checked the oil level because it only takes a minute. It's a bit high, but still well within the acceptable marker on the stick.
remove some oil until it's on the low mark and test again, simple test

The ECU was married to the display. If it wasn't, I don't think the ski would run at all... (I asked my mechanic to marry them since I didn't have the tools to do it myself. I am assuming they did it right.)
It has to be flashed for the correct year/model ski first before it is married. If it isn't, it can run but not run right as well as have missing characters on the dash lcd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back