New owner of 2001 Islandia

Status
Not open for further replies.

LBrinson35

I recently purchased a 2001 Islandia with the Mercury 240 Jet Drive. I am very pleased with the boat, but not with the engine. I do a good bit of Intercoastal waterway boating and this boat isn't practical at all due to the terrible fuel mileage. Anybody out there know what kind of fuel economy this boat should be getting? Also i've found a 2007 Islandia with dual engines and I am strongly considering trading up if the fuel range is much different.

The new Rotax 4-tec engines burn a lot less fuel than that old Merc. BUT... if it's the supercharged version... then it will still be thirsty since you will have +400 HP at tap. But then again... it turns that big boat into a 55~60 mph machine.

Personally... if you have the $$ to do the upgrade... I would recommend it. Seadoo stopped supporting the Merc drives in 2006... and the dealers won't work on them since they can't get parts.

The new Rotax 4-tec engines burn a lot less fuel than that old Merc. BUT... if it's the supercharged version... then it will still be thirsty since you will have +400 HP at tap. But then again... it turns that big boat into a 55~60 mph machine.

Personally... if you have the $$ to do the upgrade... I would recommend it. Seadoo stopped supporting the Merc drives in 2006... and the dealers won't work on them since they can't get parts.

4tecs are very thrifty until about 5000-5500 when boost comes on, and even then, they average out surprisingly well unless your WOT more than 40% of the time. Far better than a 2 stroke on average.

also keep in mind propellers are more efficient since they've had many more years of design than impellers... it seems to take a lot more engine to move a jet boat at 40 than a boat with a prop at 40.

Jet drives have a lot of advantages, but I'm not sure MPG is one of them.

If your boating area is deep enough, you may consider a prop drive.

I am seriously considering a prop driven boat. Your right about it taking more to move the boat, it seems even if your easy throttling up there is still a ton of free spin.

You have to think about what you value more. Sounds like you do a lot of steady speed cruising so a prop might be a better fit. Jets are better suited to shallow draft and handling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back