NEW OWNER. need help

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jfree40

so i just bought a 2004 seadoo sportster!! :) the boat is in great shape and im very excited to use it in the spring! i was just at a boat show and a guy told me the shifter should move easily and freely. well my shifter doesnt move at all, im scared ill break it! right now the battery is out and winterized. does it need to be running for it to move easy? and help would be nice. also any tips and tricks would be great!

Nope... the battery doesn't need to be in.

The control system is very simple. Control lever... Cable... reverse bucket.

So... unbolt the cable from bucket, and see if the bucket it tight... or the cable. Chances are... the cable is bound, and needs replaced.

Nope... the battery doesn't need to be in.

The control system is very simple. Control lever... Cable... reverse bucket.

So... unbolt the cable from bucket, and see if the bucket it tight... or the cable. Chances are... the cable is bound, and needs replaced.

How much are these cables? Where can I get it?

Thanks very much! I'll try and find what I need!

Remember, the shifter is was SIMPLER, than you might think it is, it is absolutely not "electrical" in any means! lol. I thought in my head the shifter was like a car shifter, and all it was, was a cable that moves the reverse bucket in the back up and down for it to shift into neutral and reverse...

So think of it as simple as that!, the shifter lever, moves a cable, that moves the reverse bucket in the back! lol... so go look at your reverse bucket and see if it moves a little (dont force it)

ALSO THE THROTTLE HAS TO BE AT THE LOWEST LEVEL, the throttle lever right next to the shifter lever has to be all the way to the back, if not the boat wont shift I think....

Remember, the shifter is was SIMPLER, than you might think it is, it is absolutely not "electrical" in any means! lol. I thought in my head the shifter was like a car shifter, and all it was, was a cable that moves the reverse bucket in the back up and down for it to shift into neutral and reverse...

So think of it as simple as that!, the shifter lever, moves a cable, that moves the reverse bucket in the back! lol... so go look at your reverse bucket and see if it moves a little (dont force it)

ALSO THE THROTTLE HAS TO BE AT THE LOWEST LEVEL, the throttle lever right next to the shifter lever has to be all the way to the back, if not the boat wont shift I think....

thank you! ill give it a shot asap!

So I tried to move the bucket by hand and it doesn't want to move without force! Maybe the bolts on the bucket are tight? My boat stored outdoors so I don't get much time to work/ look at it with all this snow!

So I tried to move the bucket by hand and it doesn't want to move without force! Maybe the bolts on the bucket are tight? My boat stored outdoors so I don't get much time to work/ look at it with all this snow!

Dont force it... so is the throttle shifter all the way back? (left to the shifter)?

do you have someone with you that can try to push the shifter forward while you are at the back at the bucket lever (of course tell them to be easy with it), so you can help it move, at the same time they are trying to push it forward softly?

I say this because I dont want you to brake your shifter lever cable (which I broke my by the way.. on my old boat )

I'll give this a shot tomorrow when I'll see the boat. Hoping an easy simple fix. I'm excited for boating season

So I went the other day, it was pretty warm out. When I went to try it, it moved with NO problem at all. I'm
Assuming when it was cold that something was iced over. So solves that! Thanks for the help! Now that that's over with, I CAN'T WAIT till boating season

So I went the other day, it was pretty warm out. When I went to try it, it moved with NO problem at all. I'm
Assuming when it was cold that something was iced over. So solves that! Thanks for the help! Now that that's over with, I CAN'T WAIT till boating season

Good for you, thankfully you didn't force it or break it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back