Need speedster info please!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rangerrookie

First off, hello all, this will be my first post. I am going to look at a 1995 speedster this coming weekend. I was wondering what the draft is on this boat? I was told it has 2 85hp engines on it....true? How fast are they? Is it good for pulling people behind it? How long will its 21 gallon tank last? any info you can provide before I purchase would be helpful! Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the seadoo forum rangerrookie. The 1995 speedster will do the trick for pulling a tuber or a skier. It has plenty of power and speed too. The 21 gallon tank will vary based on full throttle usage's. I own a 1997 Challenger with a single 787 with 110 hp, and it runs for 8 hrs all day on a full tank of fuel, with some left over. You have twice the engines so figure it to twice of consumption. The draft on mine and yours too, is about 12 inches. but add number of passengers and fuel, plus gear, it might draft maybe 15" give or take. I haven't heard anyone complain about there twin speedster. If you want more information on the speedster you could sign up as a premium member and be able to download on line or print off a operators manual and a shop manual for maintenance, in case it needs some TLC. The Seadoo Forum 's library has a large selection of manuals with troubleshooting diagnostics, pictures for repairs, and regular maintenance.Click on the link at the top of the page under "Seadoo Manuals", for more detailed info.
Good luck with your purchase and if you need any help or have more questions come back and give us a shout. This forum has a lot of active members that are eager to help.
Karl

Fuel consumption....

Welcome to the forum rangerrookie.....
To add to Karls post, the Speedster holds 27 gallons of fuel, 2.4 gallons of 2 cycle oil.
Fuel consumption at WOT (wide open throttle) is 17 gallons per hour. Cruising time at WOT is 1 hour and 20 minutes with about 10 minutes of time for reserve.
Good luck, it's a great running boat!

Thanks seadoosnipe, for the exacting numbers rangerrookie will need to evaluate his own fuel consumption. I quoted from my own experience, on the open water. Throttle control is key to better mileage.
Karl

...Throttle control is key to better ...
Karl

Mileage, fun, tans, and that hungray feeling in your stomach.

Let me explain... Going WOT will increase fun dramaticaly as speed increases, this in turn will see the time pass faster, making you skip lunch and get that nasty sunburn, all the while the increasing speed will have the same effect on your gas consumption - it will burn faster.

So in the end - if your day has been just FILLED with fun riding - i guarantee - you WILL be out of gas :D Hungry :D and most likely sunburt :D :D

Good luck!

I was told that the original owner had heard they had issues with the oil pumps on this model and had it removed so you must mix the oil with the gas. I guess he had heard of it causing engine failure so he had the mod done. He still has all the manuals and original paperwork so I'm good there, I just want to know what I'm getting into since I have never been on a jet boat let alone driven one. I think he stated 54 mph with a couple people in it and it planes out real quick. Something like 170 hp on a 14-15' boat...it's gotta be insane! I cant imagine you crazy folks with the 400+ boats. Hope I'm getting a good deal and a good boat to go with it and smoke my relatives 23' Criss Craft?!

Yea, premix isn't such a bad idea. It will prevent any second guessing if it's pumping oil from the injector or not. You should have a blast with the speedster. I liked my 1997 challenger so much I bought a brand new 200speedster with 310 HP. I just got it broke in...and love it!
Karl

Rotary shaft

If your using pre-mix, like I suggest to my customers with the older boats, make sure you leave your oil tank in and full of oil for the rotary shaft. It's in an oil bath that cannot be left to run dry....:cheers:

:agree: If it is a used boat be sure it is hooked up properly to the old injector tank. Give us a shout if you not sure it is correctly hooked up.
Karl

Battery life!...

Actually, battery life depends on the type of battery you buy. You can buy the old cheap WalMart brand battery and it last about a year. Or you can pay $85 or more for a good "DieHard" marine battery and it last several years, so it's all in what you pay for.
Karl is a battery expert, so I'm sure he'll help direct you in the right direction once he reads this!...........:cheers:

Well Batteries come in different ranges of quality. Uh... Walmart uses Exide batteries...I sell Exide batteries, and think that they are good batteries. You must buy a Marine grade battery not a lawn mower battery. That is the big difference. Duralast batteries are a good brand too..go to Auto Zone to buy this brand battery. The most important thing to remember is to buy a battery that is suited for the application. Make sure it is charged up and keep the connections clean. I get between 3-4 years out of my batteries. I keep it charged up in the off seadson...which is seldom in Florida, but it is always charged if it isn't used for a couple weeks. Don't jump start a battery in your seadoo! it will hurt the electrical circuits. If you have to charge it take it out and charge in a well ventilated area, than replace it back in the seadoo when it is ready to use. Keep the terminals tight and clean. This also helps the battery last longer. If you neglect the battery and want to go riding 6 weeks later and it doesn't start...you'll be out of luck and buying a new battery, cause it needs to be maintained just like anything else. So there you have it...
Karl

Marine grade....

And when you buy marine grade, make sure it's a deep cycle. That way, if your out on the sand bar, blasting your sound system, it won't leave you stranded.
Of course, I'm a bit partial to the "Diehard" battery. I've just had a lot of good luck with them. They are a bit more expensive, but I had one last about 4 years.

Diehard's are good too, Deep Cycle is also a good choice in the mix of quality.
The main thing is it must be Marine quality.

Just went to see it...ended up being a 94 instead of 95....dont know what the differances are. Still was a good deal and decided to buy it. It has been re-upholstered and had impeller and seal replaced in the last 3 years. Couple dings but nothing to notice from 20' away. Asked about the oil and he said it was a 40:1 ratio...sound right? As for the shaft, I guess it has zerks instead of oil bath? I aint gonna lie.....I know nada about these boats so it will probably be seeing a dealer till I learn. All in all, I got a boat that will tow skiers, tubers, and boarders and looks decent doing it. It does stink buying a boat in Feb up here! (kind of like buying a snowmobile in july!)

No difference...

There is no difference in the engines between the 94 and 95 (which btw is the 657cc) but I do question the "zirc" fittings rather than the oil bath for the rotary shaft. I've never heard of this before. The rotary shaft is a beveled worm gear which is connected to the center of the crankshaft and provides the timed induction of fuel and air to your combustion chambers.
I'm not saying it isn't possible, but I've never heard of it. The oil ratio of 40:1 is fine.
But I'd like to hear more response from the members on the use of zirc fittings, which means they are greased rather than oiled. This sounds odd to me. .............

Fitting Reply

Hi everyone,
Like SEADOOSNIPE, I've never heard any kind of rotary shaft grease fittings.
Sounds to me like they're refering to the grease fittings for the PTO and driveshaft bearing pack.
DAWG

Hey guys, this is also my first post. I have a 1996 GSX right now, but im thinking of getting a jet boat. I live on the ocean and I am just wondering if they are more geared to lakes or if they run well in the ocean?

Hey NDGUNS07, I own a 1997 Challenger with a 787 single engine with 110hp, and a 2008 200speedster with twin 4-tec 4stroke engines with 310 hp. I live in Florida and run in the ocean and the ICW (InteCoastal Waterway) I have a ball all the time and love jumping waves. I have had my Challenger with 2 people about 10 feet high wave jumping, and my speedster by myself about 6 feet high. I have owned water craft for a long time and really enjoy my jet boats....plus you can bring friends and a cooler...and still pull about 40 - 50 mph

Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back