Need advice on a purchase Plz 99SPX VS 98GSX Ltd. !!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralster26

So I have a 1996 Seadoo XP and its great I love it. Its my first Seadoo (own a Kawasaki also).

But I'm in the market for another one and I need to choose between two by Wed. I HOPE i can link a craigslist ad here but ill also cut and past the descriptions

Which one and WHY? What are your opinions?

1998 GSX Limited 59 hours (Red and Purple) OR

1999 SPX Yellow and Black with 130 hours

**i'm not mentioning the colors for a reason to choose one over the other im just mentioning them in case they came in sub models but I dont think they do**

SPX ----> https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/boa/6193930179.html

GSX ----> https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/bod/6193586550.html

GSX $2300 no trailer from a dealer so no Registration on it. Description: 1998 Sea Doo GSX Limited 130HP 2-stroke, 2-seater, excellent condition, 59 hours, serviced lake tested and ready to go to the lake. We have many other PWC's for sale, call me at XXX-XXX-XXXX with any questions and info on the many other boats we have for sale.

SPX $2499 w/single trailer (2016 registration) Description: Seadoo SPX with Trailer 1999. I have owned this Seadoo for over 10 years, it has around 130hrs of run time on it. It has been kept garaged and is in perfect condition. (she says dealer serviced)

Both look super clean and 59 Hours sounds better but I dont know the history of either engine or anything like you guys might be able to say oh man 130 on a 787 no prob or dont get that 951 or that 951 with 59 hours good to go.

If its against the rules to post a craigslist ad im sorry but seems like I had seen them before

Thanks guys

Why would you want another XP? That SPX is the same ski.

Get pics of the Gsx motor. Also, If going the spx route, be ready to tear the carbs down and replace the fuel lines...

If you really like your XP get the SPX. I have not ridden my GSX yet but it is a little bigger/wider than an XP so I'm sure it is a little more stable. Or just pick up the SPX because it is rare and that one looks great condition.

Yup as dieselndoo said the SPX is the exact same ski as your 96' XP. The gsx on the other hand is much more stable especially with two people. Has a big 15 gal gas tank and is about 5 miles per hour faster than the SPX and handles the chop much better too.

Ya I love the XP so the SPX being the same doesn't matter to me I just wanted to get opinions on 951 vs 787 on longevity and reliability, cost to repair maintenance, stuff like that

For me, I'd stick with commonality of parts and longevity, the 787.

26.jpg

Man I'm thinking that too, the lady with the SPX called today and asked if I was still coming to take a look.

I love both ski's to be honest, i'd go with the GSX only if you need a distance/chop cruiser or plan on occasionally riding with a passenger/kids.

pro's of having two X4's, parts are interchangble, cheaper, engine "should" last longer
the spx needs fuel lines, I see tempo in there

pro's of having two different, you'll have a change of pace ski, a distance cruiser, and one that is more stable for noob's or friends.

IMO both prices are a little high, but note i'm in FL and we freak out at anything over $1500. :seeya:

although duly noted: they are usually salt crusty, like this one
https://ocala.craigslist.org/boa/6186389116.html

If we pay $2300, it usually has lots of extra's on it, like factory pipe, nozzles, flame arrestors, etc, like this one.
https://ocala.craigslist.org/boa/6169070982.html

Last edited by a moderator:
The 951 motor with that many hours and depending on the service history. I would stay away there are known issues with the crank.

The 951 motor with that many hours and depending on the service history. I would stay away there are known issues with the crank.

It only has 59 hours on it. If it was taken care of and the correct oil used it should be fine with that many of hours. It does look very clean and taken care of at least in the pictures.

Yes but why only 59 hrs. I would have dealer hook it up to computer and run a check on it. Check stored codes. They can also check service history and what recalls Ect. Do a compression test as well. Better safe than sorry. Just my 2 cents

So I bought the 99 SPX $2400 with 130 Hours on it and its in pristine condition ( brand new seat cover too) I brought a compression tester and both cylinders were 145ish (not more than 5% out from each other) climbed under and looked in the pump and the wear ring was brand new looking, I asked about the wear ring and they said they didnt know they just knew that they had it serviced at the dealer and the bill was always around 300$ so the wear ring was replaced at some point and the caulking around the pump was not OEM black it was clear so someone has had the pump off (dealer). I asked what oil have you used for the ten years you have owned this? he said he didn't know and he would go get the bottle and wouldn't you know he brought a BRP full synthetic 2 stroke bottle and said thats what we have always used the dealer sells it to us for $25 a quart and we just keep the oil tank full. So I was pretty happy.

It does have the old grey tempo lines so I have an oil block off kit the small Ski-Doo vented oil reservoir for rotary valve gear (thanks Chris Watercraft Magic for introducing me to that nifty little tank) 25ft of yellow Tygon F4040A two genuine Mikuni carb kits w/ N/S and a spare rectifier in case this one craps out at the lake. Oh and a fuel selector valve. All that for the premix conversion and preventative maintenance and I think this ski should be GTG am I missing anything? Ill be using Klotz R50 for premix.

Lol, why switch to premix? You seem so happy they ran xps its entire life and your going to switch to klotz? Just doesn't make much sense to me. You need to do so little to keep the ski in original condition. Sorry just scratching my head here.

The premix conversion is just added insurance, Klotz is a highly rated full synthetic oil with a long racing history it's not a down grade from the XPS. I was just pleased to see they had used the BRP XPS oil and not pull out a jug of off brand TWC3. That's all I meant by the oil

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey its yours so the decisions are up to you. I just seemed like you wanted a well documented ski with a great past history to continue with as is. No harm no foul.

Ah yeah i get ya, well I just wanted a well aged ski with a good history so I can keep it healthy and reliable, I already did the $800 96 XP that sat two years and wear ring was trashed and needed lots of work. And didn't want to do that again.

No problem, I buy diamonds in the rough. Actually, I buy lumps of coal. I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum, I don't want someone else's maintained ski. Lol, even $800 is too rich for my blood.

Oh ya? Lol I have just the set of titled skis for you then! I just bought a Polaris SLX 780 and SLX 785 Pro, I now have a total of six engines and ton of stuff 8 seats 6 steering columns 6 gas tanks 12 carbs. I bought a guys whole lot. And now my heart's not in it to restore them

I was drawn in by the idea of the 785 race boat and factory triples and now I'm like ugh what am I gonna do with all this stuff lol

I love the smell of klotz but you will be spending a ton more money on premix too.

Oh ya? Lol I have just the set of titled skis for you then! I just bought a Polaris SLX 780 and SLX 785 Pro, I now have a total of six engines and ton of stuff 8 seats 6 steering columns 6 gas tanks 12 carbs. I bought a guys whole lot. And now my heart's not in it to restore them
Sorry, not a Seadoo I'm not interested especially a Poo (snowmobile nickname for a Polaris), God they have zero in the looks department. I've been born and bred on bombardier, rode my first sled when I was a young kid and I was hooked, I'll never switch.

I'm with ya, the difference in build quality and design is unmatched so far, I have a Kawasaki and now these Polaris.... I'm going to get rid of all this Polaris stuff, my Kawasaki X2 is nostalgic and sentimental, but I'm in love with these X4 hulls the XP and SPX look so sexy sitting next to each other in my garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back