Girl looking for advice on a Sea Doo :)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cookie1991

Okay, so, I'm playing the chick card to get a better response I might get a better response! :) Got me!

So, I'd like to get a 3-person Sea Doo. Narrowed it down to a GTI 130 SE, which from what I've read - and my budget - seems to be lot of bang for the buck. I do think I want to go 50 mph, not 42 mph - that's why I want the 130. I've only found one used ski near close enough that might fit the bill - a 2014 GTI SE 130 w/trailer for $6700, 1 owner, 79 hours - great shape, runs well, service records, etc. The other option is a new leftover 2018, which I think I can get for about $10,000 OTD from a dealer a couple hours from me, without a trailer (but there's tons of those on Craigslist for $500 or so). So, $10,500 new 2018, or $6800 2014. I suppose one more option is just a GTI SE 90hp w/ Polytec - do you think the lighter weight compensates for the smaller engine?

So, choices choices.

1) 2014 GTI SE 130 - 79 hours w/trailer - $6800 (probably $7100 once taxed and registered)
2) 2018 GTI SE 130 - new - $10,000 OTD no trailer
3) 2018 GTI SE - new - $9200 OTD no trailer

I'll be honest - I do worry that it might become one of those things I don't use enough, so that's why I was considering used for a first ski. But I also can hardly change a tire (usually don't have to - because, well.... :). Last thing I need is a mechanical headache when the nearest SeaDoo dealer over an hour away.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!!!!

Seadoo Gti is a naturally aspirated engine meaning it is not intercooled or supercharged . With that being said the maintenance costs are way cheeper. I would probably get the new one with a BRP care warranty . Then at least you know what you have and any service would be covered by warranty . But GTI S are a pretty reliable ski

Thanks for the advice.

Anyone know how the lighter polytec hull on the 90 hp GTI compares in terms of speed to the heavier fiberglass GTI 130?

All i can say about that is do not spill any Gas on that finish . It does not like it much it will discolor paint . Remember its not gelcote

There was another guy that loved Gti on the forum and he used to talk bad about Supercharged skis his forum code was GTI wow. But he really liked his Gti i guess he even tuned his . He knew a lot about them

My GTI 90 does the job very well. Works flawlessly. Enjoyable. It has tons of options (make sure you have VTS as I am not sure all models have it) and the only thing I had to add as an option was a boarding step. If you do not care for the speed, this one goes to approx. 43 mph. The polytec hull is definitely not a problem so far and I don't see how you could spill gas in it. I haven't heard that problem also on the Spark. Mine in fact is still dry from day one! Broken hulls were the result of bad treatment in most cases (from what I read on this forum). A Sea-Doo is not a tank and some people play with them a bit too hard.

I had some paint issues on the cover but I believe that all new skis have quality issues compared to the older ones. Just a few days ago, another person on this forum complained of the same issue on a 230 HP. In my case, the dealer promptly fixed that for me. The seat vinyl may not be as thick as I would have expected but again no issues there yet.

I see this ski as a "no problem" ski compared to all the bells and whistles of the upper models. Simple, nice looking and big enough to carry 600 pounds of people (unlike the Spark at 439). And easy maintenance.

Good luck.

Some people have been wondering if a GTI 90 can pull a skier out of the water. The answer is yes. I pulled my cousin's son out of the water on a wake board. He's 170 pounds. I was in touring mode. He told me that he felt a little that my ski lifted him a bit slower than his dad's GTI 155 but he's sure that it would have been as good should I have turned on the Sport mode.

I was curious about that so I had my answer today. The GTI 90 is a very capable machine if you do not mind sacrificing a bit of top speed.

I am more and more pleased with this ski every day.

P.S.: and it is very economical on gasoline.

Last edited:
I can only recommend to opt for a 2nd hand first. So many people buy a new one to find out later it is not their thing as they drove it 4 times and got bored... My son likes it and and the wife hates it so we take our boat if we want to do a family thing.
Good luck.

I have a 2012 gti 130 (bought used) and a 2015 gti se 130 (bought new) and love them both.

Either one can pull a skier out of the water and pull whatever inflatables. For me at 200# it's a bit longer to get out of the water to a plane on a slalom ski (yes I'm old fashioned) and when I cut I do pull the back end of the ski with me.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back