Where to find a 1999 GSX Limited in awesome condition

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

x81048

I really would like to find a 1999 GSX Limited in absolute pristine condition. I could settle for a 1998 GSX Limited even though the color scheme is hideous but would probably pass on the 1997.5 because of the 951 concerns with that model.

I'm starting to become impatient and might have to settle for a 1996 XP. I would guess the 1996 XP would be more playful than the 1997 GSX with 110hp. The 110hp SPX, XP, and GSX would unfortunately all lack top end compared to the GSX Limited.

These new watercraft designs since the end of the XP have been frustrating. I like to do more than go fast which includes jump, submerge, etc.

I guess the 1998+ XP are playful as well but as I recall, the extended length of that hull design lessened the agility of the watercraft, added more weight, and made jumping less fulfilling. The 1997 XP was a horrible redesign with missing power.

Then we have the HX which seemingly cuts through waves like a kinfe. I owned one for awhile and dumped it. Interesting design but the jumping experience was disappointing because you went through the wave instead of launching from the crest.

Clean
Seadoo GSX 50 hrs with Trailer

Last edited:
96 Xp hands down is the most playful. The GSX L is fun too and a bit faster. I have owned 2, both minty fresh but VERY hard to find in good condition. I would look on CL and FB 6 times a day, everyday until I found one.

Unless you're set on a 99' model, there's a 98' GSXL that looks pretty sweet and runs down in Daphne, AL. Look on FB marketplace and search in the Mobile/Pensacola area. Asking is $2100.

Better post a link of that 98 before you pull the trigger. It's probably one that I have fixed and sold so I could shed light on it's history.

@matt
Thanks for the help but I am waiting for an answer on the hours and motor state. I found another one I am deeply considering in another state. 98 clean as anything. Also, take a look at this I just posted in a previous thread. Pretty impressive if accurate.

Seadoo GSX 50 hrs with Trailer

That 97' GSX in Conyers, GA has been listed before (yr ago same pic) for about $3500, it's clean no doubt. I just picked up a 96' GSX north of Conyers at Lake Lanier. It's a strip down and resto winter project, hasn't run in yrs and needs attention everywhere.

Just curious what kind of "freestyle" you are looking to do as a GSX Limited is not a freestyle ski in the typical definition. Maybe Freeride?

Just curious what kind of "freestyle" you are looking to do as a GSX Limited is not a freestyle ski in the typical definition. Maybe Freeride?
x2... free style on a gsx??? I'd get a SJ or a build an aftermarket hull for freestyle

Maybe freestyle was the wrong word. I just mean I really appreciate playful watercraft with the characteristics of the 1996 XP, SPX, GSXL, etc. The 110hp GSX may be playful too but I would very much miss the top end after having owned a GSX Limited for many years.

I just don't want to take the risk of buying a watercraft that leads to a disappointing experience when I'm so used to the 951 performance of the GSXL. Otherwise, I would probably jump on a 1996 XP or 1999 SPX.

All people want to do today is go fast. That's neat and all but eventually becomes boring. I used to enjoy watching Yamaha and Kawasaki owners trying to mirror my playing with the GSX Limited. Try going vertical with a Yamaha GP or Kawasaki Ultra on calm water. While they were scratching their heads, I was busy jumping earth.

Last edited:
That 97' GSX in Conyers, GA has been listed before (yr ago same pic) for about $3500, it's clean no doubt. I just picked up a 96' GSX north of Conyers at Lake Lanier. It's a strip down and resto winter project, hasn't run in yrs and needs attention everywhere.

It's really too bad that watercraft is not a limited. I would have been enroute to demo and buy it immediately.

The 99 GSX 951 was the lightest 951 ski ever made. the thing was basically a plywood sheet with 130 HP. It wasn't a race ski (XP would out turn this thing like 10 fold) like the 02 XP, but if you wanted flat out stupid fun the 99 GSX LTD was it!

With a few mods a 1996-1997 GSX would be as good or better than the 951 due to the lighter weight so don't write them off.

With a few mods a 1996-1997 GSX would be as good or better than the 951 due to the lighter weight so don't write them off.

You think so? Enlighten me with ideas. Also, claz.org appears to be a great website for searching used listings.

Last edited:
Check out the Group K article on it Resto Mod!.
Also a pipe will make it as fast as a 951 and a 97' weighs 500 lbs to a Limited at 530 lbs.

Just giving you options.

Check out the Group K article on it Resto Mod!.
Also a pipe will make it as fast as a 951 and a 97' weighs 500 lbs to a Limited at 530 lbs.

Just giving you options.

I have never done any mods but what are your suggestions and what is the expected cost of your suggestions? And will the mods add low end top end etc?

I'm wondering if you can stand a GSX vertical like you can a GSXL without mods because youre missing some power in the bands.

I have both 787 and 951 powered skis and can tell you first hand there is not a mind blowing difference. The 951 pulls a little harder in midrange but that's about it. You are talking 110 HP to 130 HP so it;s not huge, also keep in mind you are 30 lbs lighter.

A pipe will set you back about $500 or less and will easily add the 20 HP to the 787.

Thanks for the help. Just one more question. How you would compare the riding experience from a 1996 XP to a 1997 GSX with mods or 1999 GSXL.

I was thinking about taking a look at this ski but of course without compromise on the jump features and with some decent top end.

Jetski

I can tell you that you will not have more fun in calm water than on a X4 which is a 1995 XP 800, 1996 XP, 1997-1999 SPX. If it is choppy they beat you up though.
I honestly never cared for the GSX as it just wasn't playful enough and if I just want to go fast and shred I have a 2001 XP 951.

On a nice day given all the skis in my signature I will pick the 1996 XP for stupid fun, for big rough water the 2001 XP and for a fun short range rip the HX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back