1999 Sea Doo Limited GSX 951 used to fire up, now it doesn't after fuel lines changed

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

b12soccer

Hello, I recently replaced my fuel lines, fuel filter, and cleaned the carbs on my 1999 Sea Doo GSX Limited 951. The ski had no issues prior with starting, running or idling. I can't seem to get the ski to fire over without using starting fluid, and once it starts up it dies immediately. Sounds like fuel isn't getting pulled through the carbs. Any thoughts?

First, don't use starting fluid as it can remove the oil film on the cylinders.
Are you 100% sure you reconnected the lines correctly?
Did you verify the fuel selector isn't bad and sucking air?
Same for the fuel strainer lid o-ring?
Did you use new Genuine Mikuni parts when rebuilding the carbs?

I did not rebuild the carbs, just simply took them off and cleaned them out quickly with some carb cleaner. Fuel selector was also changed as well. And yes the lines are correct. I took them off 1 by 1. I also verified them with the fuel diagram.

Last edited:
Then I would suspect the carbs.
Please follow the carb rebuild sticky.

"Just cleaning them out" typically causes more problems.

Yeah I plan on next year actually going through them and rebuilding. Ski ran fine when I bought it, just wanted to run through quickly for security before the summer season.

Update: The ski runs, looks like there's just a lot of build up from it sitting so long. Idles at 1400 rpm out of water, what is the recommendation for in water? 900?

Yeah I plan on next year actually going through them and rebuilding. Ski ran fine when I bought it, just wanted to run through quickly for security before the summer season.

Update: The ski runs, looks like there's just a lot of build up from it sitting so long. Idles at 1400 rpm out of water, what is the recommendation for in water? 900?
You should idle in the water at 1400-1500, usually out of the water it is double that.

On a 951 you want 2,800 rpm out of the water which should be 1,400 rpm in the water.

Back