Most Wanted used Sport Boats?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nitro257

When you look at the used SeaDoo boats on the market you see a lot of Speedsters and Challengers but very few Utopia's. Any opinions as to why that is? I know the Utopia is more expensive new. My guess is that SeaDoo probably sold a lot less of them. Does a Utopia owner just tend to hold on to their boat longer?

Did SeaDoo just sell a bunch more of the Speedsters and Challengers thus having a more active secondary market?

You rarely see any of the mid to late 2000s Utopia's on the market. In my search, we were actually considering an 08 Utopia 205. My fear is that down the road that boat is going to be much harder to move than a Speedster. Is that fear legitimate?

They made the utopia from 2001 to 2009. I really think there are just a lot less of them out there. In my opinion most people think of Sea Doo boats as sport and recreation. The styling, looks and functionality of the boats reflect that. The Utopia on the other hand tends to look more like what most people expect out of an open bow boat. So most hardcore sea doo fans i think would steer more towards the speedsters and challengers. It just comes down to personal preference, if you like the utopia by all means get it. When it comes time to sell it, im sure there is someone who will want it.

Here is my theory:

People who by a speedster (typicall first boat), fall into 3 buckets ...

1) boating is not for them, or only manage to get out once or twice a year while the boat takes up space and costs money.
2) love boating so much, they want a bigger nicer boat. To bring out more friends and familly, and smooth out the rougher waters. Or as a remedy to the two-foot-itis ailment when they see all the nicer boats when they get on the water.
3) absolutely love the speedster.

1&2 means chances are it goes on the classifieds!!!

Personally, I fall somewhere between 2&3. The person I baught my "third owner" speedster from was a type 2. Was 100hrs, and in great shape, so well enjoyed and cared for. If I (or the person I baught the boat from) started with a Utopia we would be a type 3.

Not much of a sample, but my friend is looking for a Utopia, and when he finally found a reasonably priced 2007 amongst all the speedsters, by the time he called the guy two days later, it was sold.

IMHO probably less Utopias were sold, less are first time boat owners, and people hold onto them longer. Lower supply does not always mean lower demand.

Awesome feedback. Obviously no right or wrong answers. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

We've really jumped all over the map in our search. There are a LOT of Speedster 150s, Speedster 200's and Challengers on the market...and seemingly very few of the other SeaDoo models. And, not surprisingly, the prices are all over the map too. It seems as though I have talked to more people who say "this is what I owe on it and I can't sell it for less than that"--even though what they owe is above NADA.

Ya, I don't get the "you need to pay what I owe" types. How is their lousy rates and terms, my problem! Ran into a few of them who got arrogant when I mentioned the NADA evaluation, like it was an insulting price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back