2008 utopia input

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

nckb

After a couple years away from Seadoo, I’m looking at a Utopia 205 SE. It’s a short drive from me, but also far enough that making more than a couple trips really isn’t practical.

Owner says 150 hours - is there a readout on the dash to verify? My old 2 strokes skis never had one, but have worked on 2005-2008 four strokes that did. Hoping there is one here.

Should I worry too much about compression? Putting it in the water won’t be an issue, so I think I can judge condition readily that way.

Anything else specific that I should keep a close eye on? Been through the forum, and I’m no stranger to boats in general - figure this one is pretty close a mash up between a dual console outboard and similar era Seadoo PWC. Thinking I should know my way around OK, but always looking for input.

Oh, and have confirmed it is the twin 155. That makes me happy.

Thanks!

I have the same model. There is no readout for engine hours, need candoo or buds. Make sure gauges and switches all work. Check wear ring and carbon seal. Checking compression is not a bad idea, but if you test drive in water, you will know if something is not right.

Thanks enut.

Just got back from a walkaround. It was cleaner than I expected, and also still had the mostly unused factory carpet and snap on cover. Owner had an aftermarket full cover. Fired up in the driveway almost instantly- but its really hard to judge too much out of the water. Was able to verify the hours from an independent seadoo shop work order. It was recently serviced for the basics getting ready for warmer weather.

Shifter was what I would consider stiff. Is this normal? I suppose it's moving the gate up/down. My reference point is an outboard throttle.

It was stored in a freshwater wetslip for much of it's life. Is there anything to worry about there?

How critical is flushing? It's a mostly closed system, but I am operating in saltwater at a drystack facility, so can't guarantee it will be lifted out of the water for flushing everytime I go out. Can I flush in the water with any level of effectiveness?

Planning to go back for a spin in the water.

You can't flush the boat while it is in the water. What you could do while it is in the water is to spray XPS lube (aka fogging oil) into the yellow caps which are mounted on the plastic engine beauty cover. These caps lubricate the throttle body shaft. You spray while manually turning the throttle linkage. Flushing is good to keep debris and saltwater out of the exhaust system including the exhaust manifold. Freshwater is okay as long as there is not too much corrosion on pump parts. The service and operating manual suggests to flush after every use. For the shifter, I would extend the shifter all the way out such as when you are in reverse, then I would lube the cable on the outside of the boat. Then move the shifter to distribute the grease. That should hopefully loosen things up if there is some corrosion on the outside of the cable. While water testing, check to see if the engine rpms are synched. 2k rpm when in idle. They can be synced later, it is just a manual process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back