Tool to measure runout on crankshaft

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

burtshaver2021

Premium Member
Premium Member
A325B996-D08B-43FD-A6A5-F66A5C475E40.pngHi all, I’m just starting to do a little research on measuring the runout on crankshafts. Thought I would start by asking everyone here a few questions. I have a Fowler dual bore gauge, and I was wondering if there would be a stand with a base that I could buy that would turn this dual bore gauge into a dial indicator that I could use? I’ve done a little looking online but all I’ve been seeing so far are dial Indicators with the base. I’m completely new with measuring the runout so any advice with anything to do with this would be great. I know with the ski doo’s the manual states that I can measure runout with everything still together with just the primary clutch removed. With the seadoo’s probably be mainly 657x 717 and 787 cranks could I test the runout with the crank sitting in one side of the crankcase or do I need a set of V blocks? I’ve watched a couple video’s of people rebuilding cranks, 1 was a 717 where he was trueing the crank by hitting what looked like the counter balance but I’m not sure for sure what he was hammering on, anyways just like to start by getting the proper tools and knowledge for measuring the runout.

Well, to be honest checking runout in the cases has little to no value. The cases help hold the crank in alignment to a small degree while bolted up. If the runout is not in spec once the cases are forced closed "bolted down" it will lock the crank in place with "no movement". Now, checking run out on v blocks will show runout before the crank is installed. A regular dial indicator with base will suffice. The video probably shows hitting on the crank web which will cause the web to move on the pin to align.
You can grab a cheap dial indicator from Amazon or eBay with the base fairly cheap.

Than
Well, to be honest checking runout in the cases has little to no value. The cases help hold the crank in alignment to a small degree while bolted up. If the runout is not in spec once the cases are forced closed "bolted down" it will lock the crank in place with "no movement". Now, checking run out on v blocks will show runout before the crank is installed. A regular dial indicator with base will suffice. The video probably shows hitting on the crank web which will cause the web to move on the pin to align.
You can grab a cheap dial indicator from Amazon or eBay with the base fairly cheap.
Thank you for the reply, I’m in no rush, I have lots to keep me busy around here but when the time comes, I will buy a couple dial indicators with magnetic base,

Back