Looking into getting a ski boat

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

soccerdad

So we now spend a fair amount of time at the lakes with our skis. The family now thinks we need a ski boat so we can use it on choppier days and for floating around. Oh, and ski/tube/wake as well. Not a Sea doo question, but you are all great watercraft people. So I want to use the same approach as I did with the skis. Get in fairly cheap, then see if we like it and make decisions from there. So here are my parameters. Hold 6-8 people, I don't want an outboard, 4-stroke, $10,000 or less ($7k would be better), decent shape, does not need much work besides some cosmetics and maintenance. Want a bow rider. (my daughter wants a place to tan.)

I see locally mid 90's era boats in the 6k range. Donzi, Maxum, Glastron. Some have wake towers added. 4.3 and 3 liter mercruiser engines. I have no idea how big a boat or motor I need. 4 cyl or 6? It doesn't have to be the fastest on the lake but want to get skiers up without too much pain. I also don't know how old is too old. Also, how big? 18, 19, 20 ft?

So what is a good starter boat for my needs. Or perhaps better asked, what to stay away from and what really to look for. What are the nice to haves and must haves?

Thanks!

You're looking for a mastercraft, ski nautique, malibu, moomba etc....... that price range is going to net you in the 80's to 90's probably needing work with high hours. You want a V8, I've gone down this road before. The price of new ski boats is ludicrous (75k and up) and that in turn keeps the used market value strong. Go on Ebay search those names mid 90's boats are strong at 10k with a bunch of bids. Trust me I'm not trying to be negative, I want to see you get that good deal, I just think it's possibly in the 15k+ range. You'll see the jump in price structure in the used boats, it's crazy.

It's a hard thing to give great advice on, when you are open to anything. But, with a $7k~$10k budget... it does make things easier.

Before I would dive into the power situation... I need to ask... "How serious are you about wake boarding?" and "How big are the people who will mostly be on the end of the rope?"

Yes... a big v-8 is great... but they drink a lot of fuel, and are generally loud. If this is pure recreation, and you aren't looking to pull a "Pro" wake rider who is 250 Lbs... then there is nothing wrong with an old "Iron Duke" engine. (2.4L GM, making around 120 hp) AND... the GM based 3.0L V-6 is smooth as silk, and makes long rides very enjoyable.

Outboards and jets are easier to get started with... but if you are looking at an I/O... then I would stick with engines that are GM based !! Over the years, there were some very goofy bastard engines that Mercury came up with. One was HALF of a ford V-8. With engines like these... there are almost no parts available. As far as outdrives... look for Mercury Bravo or Alpha. They are common, and parts are out there.

Here's a list of I/O questions to ask about...

1) When were the water pumps/impellers changed?
2) When was the drive shaft rebuilt? (pulling the engine is a pain in most of these)
3) When was the bellows replaced? (boat will sink when it rips)

Unlike a jet... you can't start them dry. If you do... you will wear the water pump very quick. (They are rubber impellers) SO... you MUST take it for a real water ride with the kind of $$$ you are looking at.

There's really no right or wrong with a starter boat... and even though you may have something in mind, on how it will get used... that may change. (ie. the guy who wanted to wake board decides they don't like it)

Then... finally... don't get stuck on a brand. Look at the drive. A big name could have a goofy engine... and that will make service hard.

I know most of that was fluff... but that's because if hard to nail down what you need right now. BUT... to me... more than power, or a name... let's talk space. (The most important thing)

Physical size: Personally... I would recommend the biggest boat you can Physically deal with. Both with weight (for towing) and length. Think about where you will need to park it, and the entrance to that spot. You may want a 22' boat... but you may find that (with the trailer) an 18' boat is all you can park. Also keep in mind that boats get heavy, so if you need to stick it in a tight spot... it's not going to be like your skis, where you can simply roll it in by hand. (I can't even move mine without power, and I use my tractor or RZR to park it for winter, because my truck just doesn't fit)

People: Just like with a jetski... the "allowed" capacity isn't the "Comfortable" capacity. For example... my Islandia is rated for 12 passengers. BUT... anything more than 7~8... It's getting crowed, for an enjoyable day. (that's also assuming 3~4 kids) If you have a daughter who wants to lay out and sun herself... then that will take 3/4 passengers worth of space. (lounging/lying on a seat) If we take that thought into effect... if you get a 19' open bow, and it's good for 8 people... then any more than 5 people... and you will be having to move out of each other's way to do the basics. (2 people up in the bow, driver, and 2 in the rear) Also... if you have the weight of 4 people in the boat (with food and gear for the day) and are trying to tow a skier... then it will make it hard. A bigger boat (not necessarily more power) will help in this case, since it has more floatation, and your hull won't be sunk down.

Dry Ride: Here again... more size will help keep you dry. Some days that's not even a thought... but if you get out to a choppy lake, during a vacation... and you want to use the boat to go a few miles up to a restaurant... you don't want to be wet. Also... some lakes have size requirements with lifejackets. Deep Creek MD has a law saying passengers under 12 years must wear a life jacket on a boat less than 21'. AND, then, when over... there must be grab rails installed. (here's one more reason for bigger)

With all that said... I personally think the seadoo islandia (or similar deck boat) is the ideal "Do all" family boat. It's big enough to stay dry, it's small enough that I can still handle it alone if I want... there's enough room for 2 normal families to be on it... and has enough power to pull most water sports toys. (plus it has a sink with fresh water, and a potty for the girls)

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you set your sights a little lower, to a Buiick (SeaRay) or a Chevrolet (Bayliner), you can get a lot more boat for the money. You'll get a similar hull, not quite as nice interior, and the same drive.

Two years ago I bought a 2000 18' Bayliner Capri, with the 3 litre Mercruiser stern drive, Alpha 1, gen. 2, in excellent shape for $4000.00. I bought it from a private sale, the guy I bought it from was a youth minister at U.K. It's been a great boat, and I have done very little to it. I did add a stainless prop., an external canister fuel filter (I keep it at the lake, and buy my gas at the dock). The boat has always been serviced at the dealer where he bought it. This year I will change the lower impeller.

It has the 3.0 L, 4 cylinder engine, which sips gas, I get much better mileage with the boat than I do either ski. In this size boat I would look for either the 3.0 L, or for a little more umpf the 5.0 L V6. My boat does in the 35-40mph range.

Last year a friend of mine bought a 95 SeaRay, 18' with the 5.0 L V6, from the SeaRay Dealer (Cumberland Marine), for $6500.00.

I'm not sure I would take either of these boat out on big water, but for inland lakes, they are great.

Also don't discount an outboard, by far they are the most fuel efficient propulsion, and the newer 4-strokes are very reliable, and they self drain so no winterization. Also a pontoon boat is a great platform for a family boat, especially when you are using SeaDoo's.

Attachments

• 100_0772.jpg
    100_0772.jpg
    966.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 100_0771.jpg
    100_0771.jpg
    856.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 100_0770.jpg
    100_0770.jpg
    958.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited by a moderator:
One more thought... cleanliness is a good indication of maintenance !! A grubby, nasty, dirty boat generally means "Abused".

I was gonna say maybe a pontoon also since you have kids that want to tan whats better then a floating island :) But if you want water sports then I agree with what was said above can't go wrong with a 3.0L have been around forever and run well!

I agree on the smaller engine for fuel mileage. But when it come to yanking a wake board out of the water or a slalom skier out of the water you need power. I've tried wake boarding behind an under powered boat, it sucks. You can slow the boat down going around a corner, it's just not enjoyable plain and simple. If you want a ski boat you need a boat designed for it. Yes you can ski behind any boat, but he asked for a ski boat. Also the ones I mentioned have unreal seating capacity, typically 8+ and they're very open. All the ones I've been in the port side is one long bench, great for tanning. Also, think future. If your kids are smaller now, they won't be in a few years. Although, I think his kids are teens iirc.

Great replies! Thanks. As noted, I am new to boats so I had a hard time even asking a semi intelligent question. And I realize it is like asking what kind of car to buy... But from your answers I can refine my questions and search.

Today, we have a wake board that we pull behind our GTX's. So we wakeboard with out any wake... We all are under 180 pounds and no one, including my 17 year old son are really into wake boarding. It is just an additional activity. My daughter is 14 this summer so I am sure her and a friend will take over the front seats. So mostly it will be used for cruising around exploring lakes. On our big lake week stays, it will be for going to eat and cruising. We do pull tubes with our skis so I am sure that will also be done with the boat. I am sure we will do some skiing behind it, but again, not a lot. Old shoulders don't last long and the kids have never done it. Basically we do need a pontoon, but want a boat so we can tow some stuff. We rented a pontoon last summer and it was cool, but we pulled a tube with it and that was not very fun. Most of the time it will be just 3-5 of us with some times wanting to take up to 7 on a cruise (no towing then). We can always bring skis along for more fun and seating...

Great point on parking/storing/trailering. I will verify what my truck will pull. My stupid neighborhood will not allow boats stored on the property that can be seen from the street. So I will likely have to park it in a storage yard.

So it seems that something like Lou's Bayliner with a 3.0L would fit my bill. (ya want to sell it???) So, is the 3.0L 4cyl Mercruiser a good motor? or should I look for a 3.0L 6 cyl GM motor? I will also look for ones with larger motors since I know that would add to the flexibility.

No, but there's one for sale on the next street over, it looks like the identical boat. Since we have matching ski's we should have matching boats.

Lou

Great replies! Thanks. As noted, I am new to boats so I had a hard time even asking a semi intelligent question. And I realize it is like asking what kind of car to buy... But from your answers I can refine my questions and search.

Today, we have a wake board that we pull behind our GTX's. So we wakeboard with out any wake... We all are under 180 pounds and no one, including my 17 year old son are really into wake boarding. It is just an additional activity. My daughter is 14 this summer so I am sure her and a friend will take over the front seats. So mostly it will be used for cruising around exploring lakes. On our big lake week stays, it will be for going to eat and cruising. We do pull tubes with our skis so I am sure that will also be done with the boat. I am sure we will do some skiing behind it, but again, not a lot. Old shoulders don't last long and the kids have never done it. Basically we do need a pontoon, but want a boat so we can tow some stuff. We rented a pontoon last summer and it was cool, but we pulled a tube with it and that was not very fun. Most of the time it will be just 3-5 of us with some times wanting to take up to 7 on a cruise (no towing then). We can always bring skis along for more fun and seating...

Great point on parking/storing/trailering. I will verify what my truck will pull. My stupid neighborhood will not allow boats stored on the property that can be seen from the street. So I will likely have to park it in a storage yard.

So it seems that something like Lou's Bayliner with a 3.0L would fit my bill. (ya want to sell it???) So, is the 3.0L 4cyl Mercruiser a good motor? or should I look for a 3.0L 6 cyl GM motor? I will also look for ones with larger motors since I know that would add to the flexibility.

Any of the GM based engines are good to me. so 4cyl, 6cyl.... whatever. Even the v8 if the price is right.

Now... Racer is correct. If the primary goal was to "Ski" or "Wake"... then a purpose built boat is great. But I kind of figured that the "Ski Boat" was just a generic term.

I think it's totally dumb that you can't park the boat at your house. I have friends that live in a closed community, and it's the same way. AND... in my younger life... I lived in one too. They use to give me crap about a dunebuggy that I owned. They said it was an RV, and had to go. But, I said it has a plate, and I use it when the weather is nice. (It was always a fight)

So ya think this would be a good starter boat? :rolleyes: http://greensboro.craigslist.org/boa/5528686513.html

Joking aside... that red one would make for a cool restoration. (Assuming it's not totally rotten) I kind of dig the 50' and 60's boats with the wings and scoops. Get it, and swap in a Seadoo 4tec jet drive !!

It's a crappy weather day here in Da'Burgh... so I'll run though your CL to see if anything catches my eye.

This one fit's the bill... but seems expensive for what it is....

https://greensboro.craigslist.org/boa/5524833385.html

This one is cleaner, and is in budget...

https://greensboro.craigslist.org/boa/5433068554.html

This one is like Lou's. I would see if they would take $1k less.

https://greensboro.craigslist.org/boa/5446118643.html

Here's a V8 boat in nice shape, and lot's of room...

https://greensboro.craigslist.org/boa/5470428388.html

Another nice 3.0L

https://greensboro.craigslist.org/boa/5493354437.html

Little out of budget... but here's my choice. LOL

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/bod/5528062174.html

I would highly recommend a boat with removable carpet. Much easier to keep clean and much lower chance of the floor being rotten since those are covered in fiberglass and gel coat. I replaced my floor and that was a 2 month long nightmare.

Also I was able to fit a 19' Bayliner in my standard 2 car garage at an angle. I was borrowing my parents boat while fixing my floor and had to keep the HOA happy so squeezed it in the garage.

Man, you guys and your housing restrictions. No way am I living somewhere where someone is telling me what I can and cannot park outside my house.

Yah first house and never doing an HOA again. Next one will be a lake house or at least a few acres with a huge barn.

Yep it is a pain. I do have my two ski trailer (empty) in my back yard and my GSX on a single trailer back there too. But they are hidden behind a big stand of dense trees. But a boat will be too tall I am pretty sure. I have a three car garage, but I doubt it is deep enough. Maybe I can build a huge ski cart for the boat so I don't have to worry about the trailer tongue!

Also, IMO the Volvo outdrives are a million times easier to service than mercruiser. Whoever designed the Mercruiser sucks at life. I can change the impeller in a Volvo or OMC (Volvo bought or copied the OMC) drive in 5 minutes with a screwdriver. Same with bellows.

My Mercruiser took 1/2 a day as you have to take the entire freaking outdrive off the boat, then split it in half to access the impeller. There is a learning curve when putting the drive back on too. Add an extra hour or 2 the first time around. Really stupid design considering it should be replaced every 2 years. Bellows is a nightmare as well on Mercruiser. No idea why that became the most popular drive.

Yep it is a pain. I do have my two ski trailer (empty) in my back yard and my GSX on a single trailer back there too. But they are hidden behind a big stand of dense trees. But a boat will be too tall I am pretty sure. I have a three car garage, but I doubt it is deep enough. Maybe I can build a huge ski cart for the boat so I don't have to worry about the trailer tongue!
Just get a fold away trailer tongue. Can add to any trailer.

You could also consider keeping the boat at the lake. I keep mine on a lift under a covered slip. I can be on the lake in less than 5 minutes. It costs about $1000.00 per year, but what does it cost in gas and wear and tear on your vehicle, especially if you are already paying for boat storage. Since the lift keeps the boat out of the water the boat stays at the lake year round. Also its a great feeling on Sunday afternoon to go to the marina and have dinner overlooking the circus at the ramp. If you go to a particular lake you should consider renting a slip.

The other big advantage, at least for us, if you become one of the "gang" at the lake.

Lou

I'd slot my garage door just to prove a point.

You'll be surprised how the 3.0 4cyl can pull your arms off, we used to pull 4 skiers with ours. We just went a little undersize on the prop and picked up a lot of grunt. The 18' boat could plane with 12 full grown people aboard, took a little time but could do it over and over.

My favorite mercruiser powerplant for this size boat is the 4.3 V6 4bbl, you'll swear it moves like a V8 and uses less fuel. Now if you don't mind burning fuel you can buy something someone else has grown tired of putting fuel in but you're getting to a rather large boat with the big blocks and large boats are (to me) a PITA to haul around.

If you can't pull it with a station wagon it's getting too big, IMO.

90's boats were still using wood in the layup, after about 2001 most wood structure was gone. The Mastercrafts had no wood in them. I bet I could find rot in most 90's boats unless they were properly cared for by garaging. Normally the average ski boat rots from the bottom up so if the floor is soft there might be a motor mount, stringer or transom that's rotten. Generally there's no barrier between the stringer and transom so if the stringer is soft there's a good chance the transom is also waterlogged.

There are 3/4" head lag bolts holding the motor brackets to the stringer blocks, try tightening those lag bolts and if they spin you'll know the wood mounts are rotten. Bang around with a hammer, inspect the transom carefully.

Also, IMO the Volvo outdrives are a million times easier to service than mercruiser. Whoever designed the Mercruiser sucks at life. I can change the impeller in a Volvo or OMC (Volvo bought or copied the OMC) drive in 5 minutes with a screwdriver. Same with bellows.

My Mercruiser took 1/2 a day as you have to take the entire freaking outdrive off the boat, then split it in half to access the impeller. There is a learning curve when putting the drive back on too. Add an extra hour or 2 the first time around. Really stupid design considering it should be replaced every 2 years. Bellows is a nightmare as well on Mercruiser. No idea why that became the most popular drive.

I work on a lot of boats, I prefer the mercruisers over vulvas. The Volvo came from the dreaded OMC Cobra for crying out loud, which was so fubar (Cobra impeller was a breeze, BFD!) they were forced to fix it. Besides, merc parts are everywhere and much cheaper.

The Alpha 2 drive has a really good impeller setup that pumps tons of water, more than any engine short of a v12 would need.

I second the Mercruiser 4.3 L v-6 power plant. It puts you squarely between the fuel-sipping-but-underpowered 3.0L (Especially in anything bigger than an 18' bowrider) and the very thirsty but awesome power V-8s. I've had no problem pulling up large and small wakeboarders, folks on 2 skis, and I can give a pretty fun tube ride still with 5-6 people aboard with the 3.0L 4-cylinder motor on a 17.5' bowrider (capacity on my bowrider is listed as 8, but realistically its 4-5 standard adults total). For tow sports, I/O is the way to go, no outboard motor to have to maneuver a rope around. Stay away from the OMC I/Os, as those are NLA and parts are getting hard to come by. Also stay away from the high compression 4 cylinder Mercruiser engines of the mid-late 80's. Those are the dreaded 470s and are nothing but trouble. Don't be seduced by the higher HP of those engines (typically 165-190 HP vs 135 for the 3.0L ) I've never ventured into a Volvo power plant, but with Mercruiser being so popular and parts being so readily available I've never seen the need.

For a used boat in the $5K-$10K range, forget the brand name. Condition is everything. Inspect the transom and make sure there is no rot or soft spots around the outdrive or near the motor mounts. Tap with a hammer and listen for solid 'rap' instead of a hollow sounding 'chunk'. Hollow = rot and delamination. bad news. Raise the outdrive and inspect the bellows for tears. Step on every square inch of deck and make sure there are no soft spots. Boats rot from the inside out, so if you feel a soft spot on the deck, chances are there is tons more rot in the stringers. Get yourself down into the ski lockers and make sure you don't see any mushy wood or delaminating fiberglass cloth. Look for rust streaks on the engine block, this would indicate possible improper winterizing and a cracked block somewhere.
Absolutely take the boat on an on-water test before giving up any money. When you do make sure its moving through its full RPM range (for the 3.0L it should idle at about 650, max 4600 RPM), operating temp in the "normal" range, oil pressure, etc. inspect the engine oil, make sure there is no "milkshake" or discoloration that would indicate water intrusion. Ditto the outdrive. That oil should also not have any white streaks in it, or metal shavings.
Questions to ask; when was the water pump impeller last serviced? When was the last full outdrive service (should have included at minimum changing the outdrive oil, impeller,impeller housing, gaskets, check engine alignment), when was the last time the engine oil was changed? filters? Look for old or rusted spark plugs, old oil filter, bad belts or rusted pulleys as an indication that the motor has been neglected.

Good luck. These are just a few of the things I have learned over the last 10 years of purchasing and owning various boats, all of which were purchased used and all of which (with the exception of my current boat) were sold for gains when I was ready to move on. I'd rather have a well-maintained mid-80's bayliner than a circa 2000's Sea Ray whose owner neglected the basics.

-E

Back