Looking at a pair of 2004 GTX 4-tec

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matty13198

Hello!

I am currently in the market for a pair of nice used skis. Today I saw a set of 2004 GTX 4-tec's that looked in good shape from their pictures and are being sold by a dealer in DE. I will be vacationing out there this weekend and was planning on heading over to look at them. They are asking $11K for them which seems really high (includes double trailer and covers).

How do I properly evaluate them to make sure they are the right ski for me? I'm a "bigger" guy (300 lbs.) and want something that will get me around. Top end speed isn't a big concern for me because I like to cruise on them and not do all the fancy tricks. I have always wanted a sea doo but haven't had the financial means until now. My wife is also very interested in cruising the local bays and islands with them (hence why I am looking for 2). We have two children (ages 6 & 8) that have ridden with us before on our friends skis and loved it.

Need to know from the experts if this is a good entry level unit for my family and me. We would use it for a couple of eyars probably before stepping up to a jet boat or newer ski.

Thanks in advance for all the advice!

Hello!

I am currently in the market for a pair of nice used skis. Today I saw a set of 2004 GTX 4-tec's that looked in good shape from their pictures and are being sold by a dealer in DE. I will be vacationing out there this weekend and was planning on heading over to look at them. They are asking $11K for them which seems really high (includes double trailer and covers).

How do I properly evaluate them to make sure they are the right ski for me? I'm a "bigger" guy (300 lbs.) and want something that will get me around. Top end speed isn't a big concern for me because I like to cruise on them and not do all the fancy tricks. I have always wanted a sea doo but haven't had the financial means until now. My wife is also very interested in cruising the local bays and islands with them (hence why I am looking for 2). We have two children (ages 6 & 8) that have ridden with us before on our friends skis and loved it.

Need to know from the experts if this is a good entry level unit for my family and me. We would use it for a couple of eyars probably before stepping up to a jet boat or newer ski.

Thanks in advance for all the advice!

If they are close to firm on that price I would keep looking. You can find a pair of low mile/hour 2007 GTX's for under $10K pretty easily. Many (admittedly not all!) pre-2007 Seadoo 4-TEC's have suffered from premature exhaust valve stem breakage that will sink your wallet stat if you are unlucky enough to get one that has rust on the valves and fails.

Last September I bought a 2010 GTX 155 with 37 hours on it. Paid $6k. It was originally part of a two ski package with trailer. The other, identical ski, had 32 hours. The boy wanted $13k for the whole rig. Wish I had gotten both of them but I'm VERY happy with the one I got.

Since it is basically mid-season, my recommendation would be to wait til the end of summer, before winter sets in.

Jay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The 2004 GTX 4 Tec specs search shows that the engine is 155 hp. If it is a limited, it's only 185.
What is the hours on them? 75hrs and under and like new conditions, $11,000 is high. $8,500 - 9,000 with trailer.

Let the children ride with the learner key. The 155 hp will move you with no problem. No SC maintenance.
All you want to do is cruse, so no power out-of-the hole needed.

According to the listing for these machines, they are the 155 engine. That should be more than enough to get my fat a$$ out of the water considering my buddies is a really old 110.

I'm more curious what I should be looking at structurally. I know to look for cracks in the hull, but aside from putting them in the water and not sinking, what else should I check? There is no mention of the hours, just that they are low.

Here is the listing: http://www.wmfwatercraft.com/waterc...-sea-doo-gtx-9ce60234395ebe0a4d231500df09a6a8

But I may also consider these as a back up option: http://www.wmfwatercraft.com/waterc...supercharged-7af0531e549dd2a0ddb6fc8f5c4cf964

Thoughts?

I'm more curious what I should be looking at structurally. I know to look for cracks in the hull, but aside from putting them in the water and not sinking, what else should I check? There is no mention of the hours, just that they are low.

Call them for the hrs. Test ride before you buy, or get brief warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back