Just bought a 99 GSX limited....need some answers.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very true. Although I was hoping to get a head start on the VTS, Float problem before coming down again in April.

Ft Meyers is 90 minutes away but I'm game for it....where is Peace river?
Short ride is what I'm looking for considering it's my first ride in other than an inland lake

I'll call you.

ya, give me a buzz, we haven't made any specific plans yet, but Sunday is Sunday, the Peace river is Punta Gorda, right about where you turned onto Burnt Store road when you came to my place (exit 161 on I75) our peace river ramp is exit 167.

Thanks for the offer Tim but as you know I decided not to drive to Fort Meyers for the ride.
But here an update on the ski.
I got the seat recovered...went from all red to red with a black stripe on the side and back.

Also wiped down the hood, deflector and bar pad with a degreaser and all the white "faded" wax came off.

No time to get the trailer weighed as "homemade"....probably in April.

But after sitting since Nov until now I found about a cup or so (8-10 oz) of oil in the hull by the balers. I had the trailer tongue way up. I soaked it up with paper towels. I think the oil tank grommet is a little loose.....or at least i could move by the little bit that i could "touch" it......man these 951 are a bear to work with exp in a smaller GSX. But anyways I pumped about a gallon out and left the trailer tongue resting on the ground this time, trying to keep the oil towards the front of tank.
Any suggestion for this problem???

Also bought Black tip mats on Black Friday, but not time to install them yet.....April again, I hope.

IMG_0711.JPGseat back close up - tape.JPGseat new cover - 2.JPGseat new cover.JPGIMG_0715.JPG

replace the grommet :) its a cheap part, i think new oem its like $20 shipped (don't quote me on that)

but you should see a leaky leaky right near the grommet, is there evidence of leakage ?
was it all oil and was it 100% dry when you left it last ?

Seat looks good, it's a nice blend. You can replace the grommet.

Item #3 part# 293720008 Around $7 new at the dealer.

You guys have to weigh your trailers for a homemade trailer? Heck I think we just need 4 pictures(from all sides) and have a mechanic "check" it out and sign a DMV form, and wait. Perhaps check it in MI and just title it there.

2328_0025.gif

You can have anyone weigh any trailer and use their slip. Dan we dont have to have it weighed by the secretary of state, just any place with a scale, any scrap yard, moving companies, salt/mulch suppliers, most places charge $5-$10, Anything that shows a slip with the weight is sufficient. Its actually really dumb, they dont ask for pictures, to see it or for anything proving you even have a trailer. Here in Mi you dont get titles for trailers either, you just register it once and for $75 the plate is good forever and it never needs to be inspected or looked at. This way is easier to get registered, but if someone doesnt know what they are doing it could be really unsafe. At least a mech checks them out there. Here someone could be using L brackets and screws to hold it togethor

Last edited by a moderator:
I would also not tend to put the tounge on the ground, rain water will pool in the foot wells and mold and nasty stuff will be on your mats and hull. I guess either way you have to clean up something.

I would also not tend to put the tounge on the ground, rain water will pool in the foot wells and mold and nasty stuff will be on your mats and hull. I guess either way you have to clean up something.

its indoors i believe... no worries there. i also forgot to say I like the seat ! looks nice, I hope Chris took good care of you, and I hope he was in the same price range that I told you to expect (it is nice having someone do removal/install :) )

yes, the trailer weighing thing is retarded. its just a matter of the dam hassle getting the ski off the trailer and weighing it empty. takes about an hour, and its a pain in the butt...

yes, the trailer weighing thing is retarded. its just a matter of the dam hassle getting the ski off the trailer and weighing it empty. takes about an hour, and its a pain in the butt...

Cough, Cough, all the more reason I'd just bring my other tag with me. If there's no data tag on the trailer they can't check it ;). Most of those data tags are just a stinking label that falls off anyway. All the Po-Po is looking for is a plate, if that. I've never been pulled over for a trailer tag. The data sticker on my Speedster trailer, my 6X10 landscape trailer and my 16' car trailer all have succumbed to the UV and road spray making them fall off. I just checked my single place and there is no data tag on that, and I bet the one on my double place is long gone too.

cough cough, funny because I have the exact opposite problem, the data tag on mine is in great shape, but none of the info on it matches anything !

but the reason for my questions (did you clean it and dry the inside before storing) & (evidence near the grommet of a leak) was to eliminate the possibility that this was oil left over from before.

cough cough, funny because I have the exact opposite problem, the data tag on mine is in great shape, but none of the info on it matches anything !

but the reason for my questions (did you clean it and dry the inside before storing) & (evidence near the grommet of a leak) was to eliminate the possibility that this was oil left over from before.

Yes, it is stored in a garage.
There could have been a little water left inside but not that much. You could definitely feel and see the oil mixture. I "powerwashed" it with superclean and a jet tip on a hose last Nov after picking it up at your house.

Evidence: well I could only barley touch the grommet and underside of tank with my finger and paper towel. It did show lots of dirt/oil residue.
I replaced the grommet on my 787 GTX this past summer but there is plenty of room to work compared to this thing.
Is there an easier way to check W/O taking the oil tank out?......Sabr....any tips for me??

Trailer has a tag from the maker and it's readable but the state of Florida has no record of it ever being registered so they want a letter from the 2 previous owners stating they bought it......I can get the 2nd owner but not the first. I tried the maker but they changed data systems back in 2000 -2001 and they lost they record of this trailer. But they did tell me how much it weighs GVW minus another number on the tag = the weight. I don't know if the state will take that number 1050 - 900=150. I'm going to ask Rampage if his work "Action Kawa..." in Bradenton could lift it off for me and keep it for an hour or so.
If I do it this way should I remove the original tag from the manufacturer?????? or won't it matter?

Yes, it is stored in a garage.
There could have been a little water left inside but not that much. You could definitely feel and see the oil mixture. I "powerwashed" it with superclean and a jet tip on a hose last Nov after picking it up at your house.

Evidence: well I could only barley touch the grommet and underside of tank with my finger and paper towel. It did show lots of dirt/oil residue.
I replaced the grommet on my 787 GTX this past summer but there is plenty of room to work compared to this thing.
Is there an easier way to check W/O taking the oil tank out?......Sabr....any tips for me??

Trailer has a tag from the maker and it's readable but the state of Florida has no record of it ever being registered so they want a letter from the 2 previous owners stating they bought it......I can get the 2nd owner but not the first. I tried the maker but they changed data systems back in 2000 -2001 and they lost they record of this trailer. But they did tell me how much it weighs GVW minus another number on the tag = the weight. I don't know if the state will take that number 1050 - 900=150. I'm going to ask Rampage if his work "Action Kawa..." in Bradenton could lift it off for me and keep it for an hour or so.
If I do it this way should I remove the original tag from the manufacturer?????? or won't it matter?

well in that case you can safely assume the grommet and I could be wrong, but wont' the oil tank come out thru the hood if you needed to remove it ? (drain, clip line, remove tank, replace grommet, re install) if it won't come out thru the hood, you've got some work ahead of you lol can't you get a light down there to get a good look at it, usually if the grommet is leaking you'll see a trail of oil, unless its leaking down the side, then running under the engine, and working its way to the back by the bailers due to gravity.

re: trailer, i'd go with the plan B... drop it off somewhere for an hour... get it weighed, manufacture a bill of sale if needed, well, i don't recommend that but i've heard that some people in the past may have tried and been successful with such ideas) even somebody with an empty pwc trailer could just back up to yours, winch your ski over to his, hold it for an hour, and when you get back, you just winch it back over to your trailer, all legal and nice. (sounds easy, i have two empty's but its still been a month and I haven't gotten around to doing just that, but i'm extremely lazy and never feel like blowing off a half a day on such a stupid project...)

Then i'd remove the tag, but only if the new registration doesn't match the tag, so if you have a super duper diligent police officer some day a year from now, you won't have any numbers to compare. but... the tag office 'should' use the trailer ID # you provide them, if not they'll register it as homemade, create a fictitious vin for you and give you a registration/tag, if they do that, then remove any stickers that don't "match"

I have a bill of sale from PO that you had him sign. Tax collector office in FL. wouldn't accept it. I guess "Homemade" is the way to go

I should be able to remove the tank from the front storage bin as long as the oil hoses are long enough for me to disconnect, but I doubt that.
Well maybe not....if I can reach the grommet then maybe I can reach the hoses that attach to it and plug them somehow to prevent oil from spilling out.

I have a bill of sale from PO that you had him sign. Tax collector office in FL. wouldn't accept it. I guess "Homemade" is the way to go

I should be able to remove the tank from the front storage bin as long as the oil hoses are long enough for me to disconnect, but I doubt that.
Well maybe not....if I can reach the grommet then maybe I can reach the hoses that attach to it and plug them somehow to prevent oil from spilling out.

ya, if you can pop the hose off the grommet, just shove a bolt in there to keep what little bit of oil is in there from spilling out.

Do yourself a favor when replacing thr grommet but a thin layer of silicon around the tank to grommit and grommet to sensor. You will never have a leak again. I just replaced mine if you can reach down try to move the spout side to side if it moves easily the grommets shot. Might be easier to pull the exhaust off. Will also give y ou the opportunity to replace all the oil lines and fuel lines. And take a look inside those carbs

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Good luck. That 951 is wedged in there tighter than.. Insert inappropriate joke here.

I replaced the filter and inspected mine when I redid the pipe. The PO hadn't secured the pipe to the engine... Or muffler to the hull.. Or screws in the carbs...

The other thing you could do is drill a 6" hole where the fuel selector goes. I did... To install a speaker. But your results may vary.

Good luck. That 951 is wedged in there tighter than.. Insert inappropriate joke here.
I replaced the filter and inspected mine when I redid the pipe. The PO hadn't secured the pipe to the engine... Or muffler to the hull.. Or screws in the carbs...
The other thing you could do is drill a 6" hole where the fuel selector goes. I did... To install a speaker. But your results may vary.

mmmmm An access hole...sounds interesting. I don't need a sound system, what else could I "fill in" the hole with. Any 2 sided, screw together caps out there??????????? where would i look?...even square/rectangle ones.

UltraE05 - Fuel lines were just replaced before I P/U it up and after I bought it. Oil lines...I Don't think so, as I see the painted lines still.

Nice spot for a drink holder.

mmmmm An access hole...sounds interesting. I don't need a sound system, what else could I "fill in" the hole with. Any 2 sided, screw together caps out there??????????? where would i look?...even square/rectangle ones.

UltraE05 - Fuel lines were just replaced before I P/U it up and after I bought it. Oil lines...I Don't think so, as I see the painted lines still.

Does anyone know the part number for the fuel baffle float for this ski, (99 GTX L)? I've looked it up on 3 different part schematics and it's not there. When did the "new" white molded style come out?

The oil tank bottom grommet is the same as the top grommet #293720008 Appox. cost is $6.99

Fuel float is 295500438, that is the new white style one.
You are correct on the bottom oil grommet

thanks, how did you find it? Why isn't it listed in the diagrams?

I searched riva for this number and got this -

There was an error.
If this continues, please call HLSM at: 570-639-2028
ASP Description: Unspecified error
ASP File: /seadooforums/showmodel.asp
ASP Line: 204
ASP Number: -2147467259

Ok I searched Google and found it @ parker yamaha Cost is $9.99...Seadoowarehouse is $11.99. Ebay was $14.00 free shipping.

Also it stated this:
SeaDoo Fuel Float fits 1996 and newer 2 Stroke models, unconfirmed reports say this will replace the older models single magnet type float if you remove the top magnet and install this one with the one magnet on the bottom side. We have no further information on what these fit as SeaDoo doesn't list it.

I dont think its in any BRP parts manual because originally they would only sell you the whole baffle you could not just buy the float. I cant remember how I found it, probably from this forum somewhere.

I also put one in my 95 XP and it works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back