Just bought a 98 Speedster- NEED HELP PLS!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffdiedrich

Hello everyone, Im new to this ive always had outboards and this jet thing is all new to me. Here is goes.. Bought the boat 98 speedster twinn 800's last week knowing it might need a few things.. Drive cable was hit and miss ( real hard to put in forward Ect ) Saturday after buying it 400 miles way i took it out on the water.. Ran perfect for 20 min, popped the hatch while it was running good to see how everything is doing and the " water jet valve thing on the exhuast the thing that looks like a rave valve but really has 2 hoses going to it was hooked up wrong and dripping water out of the bottom and the side " Also there is a exhaust leak somewhere,I said ohh ok ill have to replace that no biggy and shut the hatch and drove foranother 5 minutes, untill both engines lost power and wont rev past 3,500. I was thinking the neutral switch because i had the hole assembly out 10 times messing the the cable trying to get it too hook into gear.. So i idle it back to the dock load it and sence i know nothing about jet boats i figured id drop it off at the dealer to have a new cable and see why it wasnt running past 3,500. They called me today saying there are a number of things wrong 1st all 4 exhaust resignators are burnt up and they have holes in them ( where the smoke is comming from ) and 1st they have to fix that to diagnose why its not revving past 3,500. I told them to put the shift cable in and let me pick it up. they told me 104$ apiece for the resignators and couple hundred labor to start there just so it wouldnt leak exhuast so they could really see whats going on.. I know i should fix the leak but im not dumb that wouldnet make the engine not rev past 3,500. any ideas? Could it be the neutral switch cuz i was messing with it with the cables? Im going to fix the resignators myself with some hose and what not.. but what do you think is the real problem here?? why would it runn 60mph at 7grand and then NOW neither engine will run past 3 grand rpms, even witht he hatch open and fresh air going in.. If it could possibly be with fumes joking it out but i highly doubt it would do that, that much BOTH engines wont spin past 3 grand?!? PLS HELP! sry soo long guys

you said it was running fine before you rearranged the hoses, did you try putting it back like it was?

Sounds like it is neutral. While in neutral you can only rev to 3500 rpm. Try checking cables and make sure it is actually in forward. A way to check woulf be to push to forward and then try to start engines. If you hear four beeps, you are in gear. If it starts you are still in neutral.

I once added 2stroke oil to my gas trying to be safe. I had to much mixture and i could not rev past 35oo either.

Jeff - first you need to replace the burnt ones and find out why they were burning up.
hoses hooked up wrong, line blockage, bad bellows, etc.
BTW, whats the compression?

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is both motors hitting the magic number of 3500, its a neutral switch issue.

Yup .. what he said. Just to add to it though. If you pull the control lever(s) assembly you'll see a signal wire. Just make sure its not cut or crushed (shorted to anything). I had this boat and had this same problem, the wire was the cause. Man i miss it!!

Thanks for the information.
Can you tell me where the "start a new thread " is located on the forum site as I just cannot see it anywhere.
THANKS AGAIN

Thanks for the information.
Can you tell me where the "start a new thread " is located on the forum site as I just cannot see it anywhere.
THANKS AGAIN

Click on "Home"
scroll down to the boat or PWC section or whatever section you want...
click on the title.....
You will then see "Post new Thread" highlighted in blue on the left side

SDB: Do you realize that you pulled up a 3 year old thread? (just asking)

Anyway... I'm locking it since the OP's last activity was 2 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back