Is this corrosion or what?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

robkat

I HATE the look of this, and I’m sure it’s from salt water use but I don’t know if it’s something to fix, replace, clean, or paint over.

The crusty looking white spots everywhere. Can I just scrape it or paint for black over it?

B02B94A4-770E-40F6-B599-6BFAA8D765A8.jpeg

Definitely corrosion from salt water. If you're willing to remove the pump nozzle, you can probably media blast most of the corrosion, but may still have some pitting. Then repaint. Might be good to follow-up with a coating of Corrosion-X as well.

I'd be willing to remove and clean up, but I've never done anything like this before. What is media blast? You think it's easier to just order a few pieces from ebay and replace? Obviously the damage is done, but do I need to worry about it getting worse if I keep clean and wash after use from now on, or does this have future problems for me the way it is? Thanks for any help.

media blast is same as sand blasting uses glass beads. Anyways if youd rather order new parts I say go for it, but its not much more work to clean up the corrosion however as mentioned you may have some minor pitting but it doesn't matter too much. its up to you however I am the same way don't like ugly shit.

If your concern is appearance then probably replacing is the way to go. If the concern is to prevent further corrosion, just media blasting or sanding, priming and repainting will probably be sufficient. The key though even with a new nozzle is to rinse after use and protect with some sort of anti-corrosion spray. I've heard good things about Corrosion-X from other boaters, but it's not easy to find. I also like Fluid Film which you can find in Lowe's and probably other places.

My 2008 GTX with 50 hours on it looks just like this. It's never been used in salt water, just clean lake water. I'm not sure there's anything to worry about(?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back