Impeller and fuel line advice

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

thomps33

96 xp advice thread

He guys, doing some work on a 96 xp. Along with polishing the hull, rebuilding the carbs, replacing the grey fuel lines, new seat cover, hydroturf, I'm replacing the wear ring. The impeller is damaged. I'd like your opinion on how bad it is. Should I just ride it like it is or should I get a new one/fix it? Also, do the translucent colored fuel lines hold up to ethanoll fuel or should I just stick to the regular black fuel lines? Thank you!
Sorry about the pics, did the best I could with an iphone.photo-1.jpgphoto-2.jpgphoto.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Two things,,,,

There is enough damage on each fin that I would at the very least have it re-worked if not go with an aftermarket replacement.

There looks to be more gap than what there should be. Are you able to fit more than a dime between the impeller and the wear ring?

To me it looks like a new ring is in order.

With all the work you have done, it isn't worth putting it in the water not 100 percent.

I agree, you can also get a rebuilt impeller from SBT, 35.00 I think with exchange.

Use automotive fuel line the clear fuel line can get brittle over time and the water cops don't like it.

Lou

The rebuilt impeller from SBT is $85. It's is $59.95 PLUS $24.95 shipping. That includes shipping both ways, I just called yesterday. And they will give you $3 for any extra impellers that are good cores. The basically left no other option for the shipping.

Wow,thanks for the quick replies! A new wear ring is sitting in a box ready to go in. I could fit almost two quarters between the wear ring and the impeller. Automotive fuel line it is. Do you know approximately how many feet I'll need? I guess I could search the forum to find out.

Is there a lot of performance to be gained from an aftermarket impeller? I'm just a recreational rider so unless there is a dramatic difference I'll probably just go with the rebuilt impeller from SBT.

Buy a box of 25' of 1/4" fuel line and 3-10 packs of fully stainless steel clamps from Home Depot. Probably about $45 in parts for the fuel line rebuild.

Stuff in the states is cheaper for sure. I just did my 951-most of the lines are 5/16 so it was like 2.xx a foot. came out to almost 60$ alone in fuel line! Mind you i opted for the nice flexible usa stuff, not the hard thick chinese crap

Looks like your wear ring disintegrated like mine did and busted up my impeller, although yours is a lot worse. Get the $60 SBT impeller swap and a wear ring from them while you're at it.

OK, I got the fuel lines replaced in the hull today. I tore out the rave valves to clean them (they were filthy) and removed the carbs. I noticed the carbs don't have a choke plate and it's missing the choke cable. There are brass plugs installed instead. Why is this? Were they removed? Are they not the carbs that came with the ski? Should I attempt to add them back? I know these can be a little cold blooded, but it fired right up the few times I have started it. Any advice and thoughts? I attached pics. Either way, I'll be sending these out to Dr. Honda for a cleaning and rebuild. photo-4.jpgphoto-5.jpgphoto-3.jpg

Thanks for the previous advice guys. I'm the getting the SBT impeller.

Last edited by a moderator:
They look like the stock carbs., it looks like they have been converted to a primer system. Was there tubing attached to the nipples where the choke plate used to be?

Lou

Interesting............from what I have heard guys pull the choke plates off because it helps some other mod that they did. Do you know if you pipe and intake/breather are OEM or if there are any other mods done to this ski? Maybe snap a couple pics of the engine compartment, the guys here will be able to tell you if your not sure.

Lou you were right on the money. The tube fell off the plunger on the dash so I thought it was missing the choke cable. I hooked it back up and pumped away until it started squirting out fuel. Thanks!

The ski is stock besides the primer system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back