Rebuilding 93, 94, and 96 advice?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

EvoV98

Hey just got into having skis a few days ago. I picked up 3 on a triple trailer for $1500. 93 XP, 94 XP, 96 SP. They all turn over, 1 runs (leaks cooling water), 1 wont stay running, and the other wont start. 2 have superficial hull damage, and 1 has a large amount of cracking along the bump rail, I don't think the fiberglass is bad yet. Already started going through them and am replacing the grey oem fuel lines, fresh gas and oil, replace oil/fuel filters, cleaning the carbs. Anything I should really know to be on the look out for? I've been looking at a few threads already about repairing the seats, paint, and found the sling to lift the ski so I can work on the bottom, but didn't see anything that said hey noob look at this when you buy cheap jet skies that might have been sitting for a while and could (did) have bad home work done (backwards oil filer, tons of RTV instead of gaskets, motor oil instead of 2 stroke...).

Hey just got into having skis a few days ago. I picked up 3 on a triple trailer for $1500. 93 XP, 94 XP, 96 SP. They all turn over, 1 runs (leaks cooling water), 1 wont stay running, and the other wont start. 2 have superficial hull damage, and 1 has a large amount of cracking along the bump rail, I don't think the fiberglass is bad yet. Already started

going through them and am replacing the grey oem fuel lines, fresh gas and oil, replace oil/fuel filters, cleaning the carbs. Anything I should really know to be on the look out for? I've been looking at a few threads already about repairing the seats, paint, and found the sling to lift the ski so I can work on the bottom, but didn't see anything that said hey noob look at this when you buy cheap jet skies that might have been sitting for a while and could (did) have bad home work done (backwards oil filer, tons of RTV instead of gaskets, motor oil instead of 2 stroke...
If I can remember every step here’s what I do when purchasing a new to me machine tha hasn’t ran for awhile. Before purchasing I usually take the plugs out and see if I can turn the engine over by hand, if it will roll over I check compression. I always roll them over with the plugs out and plug wires grounded in case they are oil locked from a leaking seal. Take fuel tank out and clean it, take oil tank out, empty and clean it, new oil filter, bleed oil pump, get air out of oil filter.change small oil lines to intake ports, Like yo mentioned change out the grey fuel lines, clean the micro filters in the carbs, pressure test the fuel filter or inspect the o-ring, fuel selector valves can be an issue. If it’s still not running perfectly after this then rebuild the carburetors with genuine Mikuni rebuild kit from OSD Marine. You could test your pop off before to see if it is correct, you may be able to get away without new needle and seat, follow Mikidymac’s carb rebuild thread. When I first put in the water, I take a little ride with the seat off to look for leaks and also look to see if water is coming out the pisser. As for recovering the seats I’ve recovered my GTI seat for about 45.00 or so. As long as there isn’t any crazy dips you can recover them with flat 2 way stretch marine vinyl from DIY. I’m going to try vinyl from Marine vinyl fabric.com next time, 13.00 a yard. I will attach my thread from when I recovered the GTI, maybe you will find something in there that will help. Nice buy, good luck with the new machines.

If I can remember every step here’s what I do when purchasing a new to me machine tha hasn’t ran for awhile. Before purchasing I usually take the plugs out and see if I can turn the engine over by hand, if it will roll over I check compression. I always roll them over with the plugs out and plug wires grounded in case they are oil locked from a leaking seal. Take fuel tank out and clean it, take oil tank out, empty and clean it, new oil filter, bleed oil pump, get air out of oil filter.change small oil lines to intake ports, Like yo mentioned change out the grey fuel lines, clean the micro filters in the carbs, pressure test the fuel filter or inspect the o-ring, fuel selector valves can be an issue. If it’s still not running perfectly after this then rebuild the carburetors with genuine Mikuni rebuild kit from OSD Marine. You could test your pop off before to see if it is correct, you may be able to get away without new needle and seat, follow Mikidymac’s carb rebuild thread. When I first put in the water, I take a little ride with the seat off to look for leaks and also look to see if water is coming out the pisser. As for recovering the seats I’ve recovered my GTI seat for about 45.00 or so. As long as there isn’t any crazy dips you can recover them with flat 2 way stretch marine vinyl from DIY. I’m going to try vinyl from Marine vinyl fabric.com next time, 13.00 a yard. I will attach my thread from when I recovered the GTI, maybe you will find something in there that will help. Nice buy, good luck with the new machines.
Thanks! Yeah I just couldn’t pass that package deal up for the price

Thanks! Yeah I just couldn’t pass that package deal up for the price
Always nice when you can make a purchase for the price of the trailer give it take a bit. Take your time, don’t ride it when it’s not running right. Just check compression first so you can make a decision on each machine and I forgot to mention I always run a half tank of premix at 50:1 in addition to the oil injection until I’m sure the injection is working properly. You won’t foul any plugs. If you were only running premix though run 40:1,but the oil injection systems in these are very reliable So no need to go pre mix. Grab yourself some shop manuals for free at seedoomanuals.net

A couple of other things to check: visually inspect the pump all the way through to make sure there is no wear ring scoring/obstructions/prop damage; check for common water leaks-drain plugs, shaft seal, bottom side of exhaust pipe; seals around electrical boxes are actually there and insides look good-no white crustiness; when you clean out fuel tank inspect and clean baffle/pickup - may need to replace fuel level float. @burtshaver2021 was very comprehensive!

Back