IBR when in reverse sprays salt water all inside engine compartment

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

motoring

has anyone noticed that there 2018 gti 130 ,(or and all seadoo models) when in reverse or brake sprays water inside the engine compartment .and the engine has to be at a higher rpm! like parking or backing up fast to advoid hitting something ??
the two elbows at the top of the bilge system has a pin hole in each one and in reverse and higher then idle rpm shoots out in a fairly strong force of what ever type of water your running in ,creating a salt build up ( in my case i run in salt water )all over engine compartment.....i s) i . i called my dealer and the service guy dont know that theres a hole in the elbows , i called two more dealers and another said there shouldnt be a hole spraying into hull something wrong (yes i agree ) and one last dealer said yes the elbow does have a hole in it and its no big deal its will spray water inside. lol just clean the engine everytime.
any one else with this issue?????????????????i guess you wont notice if you dont go in reverse to much plus the rpm has to be higher . Like on mine to see it spray!!!!!!! .

thanks

Last edited:
I pretty much guarantee that if any other Sea-Doo jet ski owners were having the same problem as your having we would have probably heard about on this forum. Since we have not heard of this before I would then hope the your problem is somewhat isolated. The bilge system works on the Venturi principal of creating a vacuum from high pressure in the jet pump to low pressure in the bilge lines and low wanting to become high. This system needs to be vented to work properly, the pin holes in the elbows which also need to be zip tied in the bilge higher than the jet pump opening to work properly.
Now if we assume the BRP engineers know what there doing, most of the skis, the bilge pumps work without spraying water in the bilge even when we are using reverse and braking I am thinking something is different about your ski than most others.
The first question I would ask is your bilge system operating properly when not using reverse or braking? I would then find a ski that is acting normally and make sure all the hoses, connections, height of elbows are all the same. Something is causing your jet pump to become at a lower pressure than your bilge line in reverse and causing a opposite low to high flow into your bilge. Should not be to hard to track down.

mine is working as such in forward the pump is sucking thru the lines the elbows and the check valves (bildge strainer), which allow the pump to suck out any water that may be in hull. i believe that normal?
and in reverse/brake the bildge lines fill with water the check valves(strainer) stop any water from filling into the hull, except for the elbow that have a pin hole in each, which i believ the pin hole allows for the reverse /brake to bleed fast and work asap. to help prevent accident and for faster reverse. i believe thats working normal?
except for the fact that my ski has two elbows squirting a small water pistol like stream that is constant in reverse which i dont like at all !!!!!!!!!!!!!! is that the way the ski was designed????????. common sense tells me salt water shooing into hull isnt good !!!!! because i have no choice to drive in reverse a lot when seaweed is cloging my pump every few secounds in forward , maybe most people dont notice or even get a salt build up , i drive my ski 4hrs each time out and im in reverse for 30 minutes of the 4hrs figthing seaweed. lol

Never saw a drop on my GTI 2018. After a thunderstorm if not covered I can see sometimes a few ounces but that is it. Definitely something not normal. How much water remains in the hull after a normal ride?

Never saw a drop on my GTI 2018. After a thunderstorm if not covered I can see sometimes a few ounces but that is it. Definitely something not normal. How much water remains in the hull after a normal ride?
i found my carbon seal is spraying also, and on my 1996 and two 1997 s there is a plastic shield over the carbon seal to contain the spray . does anyone elses skii have a plastic cover over the carbon seal on the 2018 ?

its a slight spray even a mist but after running the ski for a full day the compartment is covered in salt spray everything in the rear and some salt on top of the engine . at least i found two problems , my seat lock is even froze now i have to use a good deal of force to open the seat seems the least of my problems .
is my ski missing a carbon seal plastic shield ? my other three skiis had this plastic shield but my 2018 gti does not .

i found my carbon seal is spraying also, and on my 1996 and two 1997 s there is a plastic shield over the carbon seal to contain the spray . does anyone elses skii have a plastic cover over the carbon seal on the 2018 ?
there is a coating of salt most water is removed from hull by the bilge system.

so ill have to bring it in to the dealer at least i know whats wrong . who buys a new skii and wants to change the carbon seal. i know ill get the blame but i called about it after a few hours of run time( i was told carbon seal is dry it dont leak ) and i know i didnt over heat the carbon seal i never run it on hose for more then like 30 secounds nevermind two minutes . lol
just wondering if there should be a shield like on my older skiis ???? there is actually a small rubber sheild at the rear of the motor but it dont cover where the carbon seal and the stainless steel ring meet which is where the water is leaking

Last edited:
i bought an electric bildge pump sold by seadoo for my ski and in the bailer hose theres a hole . and when pump is bailing it shoots a stream of water out where ever the hole ends up. and 4 out of 5 dealers i called dont know the holes even exist im told bring the ski in somethings wrong .......( in the electric or the bailers that suck water from the pumps vacuum . ) and sea doo does it for a good reason . good luck getting anyone from seadoo corp . with tech knowledge .( if theres a number for seadoo corp that will actully answer a tech question id like to know it !!!! ) im goin to vent the holes outside the hull .like the battery, but these have to be at the highest point possible. i just dont like salt water or even any water shooting all inside the hull.randomly i do run only in salt water . so out the hull the water will go.

This is absurd. Have you contacted BRP directly? 1-888-272-9222. Water should not be spraying inside your ski, final.

its a cheap design and is very simple its an anti siphon . with out the hole the hoses could after ejecting water ,the line could still be full of water , and the water could reverse flow .. say you pull up to the dock to stay awhile and right before the bidge was finished ejecting all the water , in the middle of that process you turn the engine off an now no bidge and the water flow reverses an then it starts filling up the craft. lol you come back in two hours an ski is sunk . the little hole breaks the flow. the price to pay is only if in reverse the pressure pushes water up the hose and squirts out the little hole . and it only happens when applying higher rpm when in reverse (because the pressure gets higher along with the higher rpm . . i know my 2018 gti se does it i video taped it . i wanted to know why so much salt in hull. 2018 gti the strainer also has a check valve other wise it would be gallons of water in reverse under throttle. so sea doo engineering did this way. i may not have ever noticed but water hose are in plan view on my 2018... my 96 97 gti the hoses are way in the stern way up in a dark corner nobody ever looks at ill bet the older ones do it but being reverse is a pain in the ass lifting the handle and with the rusty cable its a bit hard , i and most people try not to be bothered putting it in reverse. but with all the seaweed i drive ski in reverse for a long time until i get out of canal otherwise i wouldnt have so much salt . plus my carbon seal issue so i really had to get in there an figure out were the water is coming from.
being the old skis dont have a check valve in the black plastic strainer you may not get water out of elbow but ill bet the older ones do!!! only if in reverse and raising rpm .and you have to really go out your way to look at it big time .for one the seat has to be off and youd have to stick your head in there with a flash light and maybee even a mirror to see it...remember in reverse with higher rpm only way really is on a trailer on some skis my hoses are right in your face on the 2018..so its easier to see if your looking for it !!!!! my picture shows it !! the after math salt everywhere no good imagine cleaning the salt off every time out would take hours , my coolent pump is corroding already the paint is bubbling off .BRP said ooooh .
if i was brp i would have little hoses ejecting water overboard . and either way im going to do it on my own.or something else check valve maybee or at least control the continues squirting so it is aimed on the floor or something but ill fix it.
if you have a later model test it on trailer in water in reverse raise rpm and watch the little tiny holes leave a mess !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
im going to check my 96 97 gtis also to see what happens.

the joke and sad sad thing about this is i have a lousy dealership to say the least the ski was brought in they left it for 3 weeks it was left out in front with key in etc etc etc no work done at all. i got new scratches etc etc they probably let people play on it yea start it up the key in . rev it up have fun put the family on it . etc etc i still have a carbon seal leaking and the dealer said bring it to canada let them look at it. i even have a video the dealer and brp dont care DONT EVEN WANT TO SEE IT !!! i know carbon seal is gray area i just bought ski new left over and after running it 1 hr i call dealer said a lot of salt he said carbon seals are dry seals they dont leak. so what to do etc etc etc blah blah but in the process this is how i discovered the reverse system also has a water issue. at least i can fix myself. warranty . i hope is good for more then toilet paper ,if something like engine failure etc but im afraid id get a story as to how its my fault . ANOTHER EXPERIMENT CALL BRP ASK SOME QUESTIONS LOL.THEY ARE TRAINED TO BE KNOW NOTHING PASS THE BUCK .. you would think if you call brp that they will be happy to help you with tech questions good luck. they dont and wont !!!!!they will tell you to call the dealer and i even left a complaint about dealer all i got was a headache a run around and the conversation was very upsetting to say the least. i though the dealership was bad call brp. it will make me buy a yamaha next ! its very hard to get good tech info on the skis lucky im a mechanic for many years .

i post this to let other know my findings if theres a good dealer in jersey or connecticut let me know ill have to drive hours if i find someone who isnt a wiseguy.and a good person really looking to help you have a good day even when your not on the water and looking for a repair or info. thanks much .

This is absurd. Have you contacted BRP directly? 1-888-272-9222. Water should not be spraying inside your ski, final.
6 times thanks !!!!!!!!!! read my last post... if i can im looking to sell my warranty to brp if the $$$ is right. thats my next call waiting for them to get back to me

i should make this much shorter i repeated story to many times lol at least im tired after a long message and ill sleep good i hope to find good shops close by . besides my garage lol
i watch youtube a guy with a 15k ski sunk because the sponson bolts came out so i feel lucky . they got his ski running warranty but all they did was change oil i cant imagine the life of that ski. i think he should have received a new ski from brp but . like i said im lucky i guess great ski just dont let it break. lol next time ill call yamaha corp to feel them out

Too long, didn't read. Shorten your post down to about 3 lines.
Pull your jet pump and check for 2 missing o-rings fo the bilge system. I've seen them missing on a 2018 that has never been serviced before I looked at it.

Chester

Pull your jet pump and check for 2 missing o-rings fo the bilge system. I've seen them missing on a 2018 that has never been serviced before I looked at it.

Chester
way to long lol and i forgot i typed same story probably 20 times . did the missing seal cause a malfunction

Chester
?

Chester
way to long and didnt relize same story a few times .... but i dont think i missed any details.lol the missing o rings did that cause a malfuntion if so can you tell me what ???

im getting ready to remove pump (have to do carbon seal) ill post if the seals are gone . and when i run ski in spring if condition changes ill post it. if im wrong ill certainly admit to it. thanks , if i knew id have to work on it already id stay with my 96 97 models and not buy a new one.

The video you are referring to is the guy with missing bolts on the sponsons. I too had some issues with my new ski but fortunately there were only cosmetic issues. All the issues were fixed in a timely fashion under warranty by the dealer and I didn’t have any issues.

You seem to be stuck with a lemon. Maybe you could trade it for a new one and let the dealer break his teeth with the problems...

The video you are referring to is the guy with missing bolts on the sponsons. I too had some issues with my new ski but fortunately there were only cosmetic issues. All the issues were fixed in a timely fashion under warranty by the dealer and I didn’t have any issues.

You seem to be stuck with a lemon. Maybe you could trade it for a new one and let the dealer break his teeth with the problems...
the problem with trading in is ill be out a few thousand. what type cosmetics ???i cant get a sinking ski fixed and you can get cosmetics fixed which my three weeks at dealer i got extra scratches all over for free

im glad you got a good dealer what cosmetic issue you have?

yes trade it in is a good idea i thought of but i will loose a good amount $$$
at this point ill have to have an engine aligenment carbon seal change. and possibly if nobodys bildge hoses leak as mine with luck its only missing o ring plus cosmetics caused by dealer i m sure i can make list longer . but ill still have to loose $$$ to take a chance on another. and chance another dealer lol

The paint developed a problem on the main compartment cover. It started to crack. Also, there was a problem with the decals around the compartment. And also, the left mirror was not assembled properly. Dealer replaced the compartment and the decals and he fixed the mirror.

Excellent service from this eastern Ontario dealer.

And if I was in your position I would definitely consider trading. Down the line you will have lots of issues with that ski if problems are not fixed asap under warranty by the dealer.

Happened to me with a car 20 years ago. There were some paint issues with it so I returned it to the dealer as soon as the lease was over. They couldn’t do a thing since they had tried to fix the issue themselves.

For the past 23 years, I mostly leased cars and if I was satisfied with them I would buy them. Preferred paying a bit more but to have the option of getting rid of it if there were issues with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back