IBR when in reverse sprays salt water all inside engine compartment

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
And if I was in your position I would definitely consider trading. Down the line you will have lots of issues with that ski if problems are not fixed asap under warranty by the dealer.

Happened to me with a car 20 years ago. There were some paint issues with it so I returned it to the dealer as soon as the lease was over. They couldn’t do a thing since they had tried to fix the issue themselves.

For the past 23 years, I mostly leased cars and if I was satisfied with them I would buy them. Preferred paying a bit more but to have the option of getting rid of it if there were issues with them.
yes the problem i have is the dealer says no leak on carbon seal its all good according to dealer . and if i bring to another dealer they didnt make commission on the ski sale so if i bring it for carbon seal brp really dont cover the seal unless you have a good dealer and they admit the seal is leaking .and the other dealers will charge me from 500 to 1k for carbon seal. im capable to change seal myself . just basically leaves me the question why did i buy new if the warrenty isnt worth toilet paper. i have to drive to many different seadoo dealers with ski in tow to see if they will help. so im preparing to change myself . and if engine is out of alinment the new seal will go bad fast again so i have to buy the ailment tool. or trade it in and ill be out probably 3,000 even more LOL when engine running i can see the stainless coupler wigling and the seal is 100 percent smmooth maybe the coupler is installed wrong or maybe it warped but i dont see any blueing etc etc .fun fun

Last edited:
The issue with most dealers is that they don't have a lake nearby to test the machine. Some have basins but I have yet to see that at this point. For an older Sea-Doo that I have and that had a carburetor issue, I had arranged for a water test with the dealer. They charged me for it however even if they couldn't fix the issue. You should ask for a water test then as sometimes it is the only way to diagnose (or a water test attached to the trailer with seat opened).

The issue with most dealers is that they don't have a lake nearby to test the machine. Some have basins but I have yet to see that at this point. For an older Sea-Doo that I have and that had a carburetor issue, I had arranged for a water test with the dealer. They charged me for it however even if they couldn't fix the issue. You should ask for a water test then as sometimes it is the only way to diagnose (or a water test attached to the trailer with seat opened).
that makes my case even worse they said they will and did . i noticed with my own testing that on trailer leak dont show .not enough weight on ski or whatever but float on its own it spray out seal . i put it on video with the days newspaper sitting next to seal. but they wont look at it . it easier to say its good we looked at it its good bring it to brp. hence brp passed the buck back go to the dealer. lol

I pretty much guarantee that if any other Sea-Doo jet ski owners were having the same problem as your having we would have probably heard about on this forum. Since we have not heard of this before I would then hope the your problem is somewhat isolated. The bilge system works on the Venturi principal of creating a vacuum from high pressure in the jet pump to low pressure in the bilge lines and low wanting to become high. This system needs to be vented to work properly, the pin holes in the elbows which also need to be zip tied in the bilge higher than the jet pump opening to work properly.
Now if we assume the BRP engineers know what there doing, most of the skis, the bilge pumps work without spraying water in the bilge even when we are using reverse and braking I am thinking something is different about your ski than most others.
The first question I would ask is your bilge system operating properly when not using reverse or braking? I would then find a ski that is acting normally and make sure all the hoses, connections, height of elbows are all the same. Something is causing your jet pump to become at a lower pressure than your bilge line in reverse and causing a opposite low to high flow into your bilge. Should not be to hard to track down.
Have you ever noticed salt residue inside hull? Is your ski never with a checkvalve at the strainer? Why did they put a checkvalve in the strainer. If not there and what i notice on my ski the hull would fill fast. And this is in reverse at higher rpm not just idle. Thanks

No I have never noticed any salt residue inside my hull but I operate my ski in fresh water. Do I ever notice any water anywhere inside my hull other than small amounts at the bottom, no I don’t. Does water ever stream out of my elbows of the bilge system, no. Have I ever heard of this happening beside you, yes I found one instance on the Green Hulk forum of the same thing but with no resolution. It is not common. Check valve in strainer is necessary when your ski is sitting in the water with the motor not running, no positive pressure at pump so you would get back flow into the bilge without check valves in strainer.
In reverse at high rpm the water is just being deflected forward by the bucket, nothing else changes. Water is still flowing backwards thru the jet pump across the Venturi which should be causing a vacuum in the bilge lines even in reverse. Something is different and not right about your ski. You need to accept that and get it fixed.

Too long, didn't read. Shorten your post down to about 3 lines.
Pull your jet pump and check for 2 missing o-rings fo the bilge system. I've seen them missing on a 2018 that has never been serviced before I looked at it.

Chester
im going to check tomorrow all i have to do is remove elbows ,plug ventures and pump some light pressure into tubes one side at a time , only a couple of pounds with a gauge and if i loose pressure fast the o rings are most likely not there , if the lines hold pressure then the o rings are most likely there . but either way pump is coming out for carbon seal fix . but this way ill have a way to check my ski in the future and know without having to pull pump . ill record finding in my shop manual.

Last edited:
Too long, didn't read. Shorten your post down to about 3 lines.
Pull your jet pump and check for 2 missing o-rings fo the bilge system. I've seen them missing on a 2018 that has never been serviced before I looked at it.

Chester
i pulled pump yesterday all seals are there ! i post some down road thanks

after pulling pump off and getting ready for carbon seal change didnt find anything missing wrong OR BROKE ETC with the bildge system.

. but if anyone ever looks at the elbows when running in reverse at higher then idle rpm ,or braking from a fairly high speed etc etc. LET me KNOW YOUR FINDING PLEASE also the year matters with or without a checkvalve at the strainer /pickup.
as of now i believe its working as sea doo engineered it to do , if your in fresh water no worries im in salt water,no good !!! ,but i found a way to control where the spray goes. ill live with it i cant find any thing wrong. maybe somethings missing

i only started this because i had a lot of salt build up in compartment at end of day in hull inspection/clean up. and after some time on trailer and running in open with seat off discovered i had three water leaks in my new ski FUN STUFF ! , i know i would have never noticed this system and who would care too notice.! ill post pictures of all system pieces if you see something missing or broke be happy to let me know..... i guess my pwc is a piece of crap .i was to admit that im wrong if nobodys craft spays water out the elbows then im wrong a bought a seadoo for its closed loop but i get the opposite my motor rots from outside in . the dealers said thats the way elbows are , they spray water in reverse and braking , its good. !!!!! another lie i guess!! but it runs good and i hit between 50 and 55 everyday out. i hope if it stops running i can find a dealership who will fix the craft . i have 4 year warranty /toilet paper?
regardless i like the ski, guess i got a lemon, i do love lemons

No I have never noticed any salt residue inside my hull but I operate my ski in fresh water. Do I ever notice any water anywhere inside my hull other than small amounts at the bottom, no I don’t. Does water ever stream out of my elbows of the bilge system, no. Have I ever heard of this happening beside you, yes I found one instance on the Green Hulk forum of the same thing but with no resolution. It is not common. Check valve in strainer is necessary when your ski is sitting in the water with the motor not running, no positive pressure at pump so you would get back flow into the bilge without check valves in strainer.
In reverse at high rpm the water is just being deflected forward by the bucket, nothing else changes. Water is still flowing backwards thru the jet pump across the Venturi which should be causing a vacuum in the bilge lines even in reverse. Something is different and not right about your ski. You need to accept that and get it fixed.
i guess if in fresh water u wont get salt i should have been a little clear on that my elbows only spray when in reverse and a high rpm application like a panic reverse. without throttle just reverse no extra rpm the clear hoses show they instantly fill with water, have you ever notice that. ?????? . my old skis dont have a check valve all three gti 1996, 97,only a hollow black plastic strainer would you know why? thanks for input much ill check green hulk , i just check green hulk lots of info nice

Last edited:
And if I was in your position I would definitely consider trading. Down the line you will have lots of issues with that ski if problems are not fixed asap under warranty by the dealer.

Happened to me with a car 20 years ago. There were some paint issues with it so I returned it to the dealer as soon as the lease was over. They couldn’t do a thing since they had tried to fix the issue themselves.

For the past 23 years, I mostly leased cars and if I was satisfied with them I would buy them. Preferred paying a bit more but to have the option of getting rid of it if there were issues with them.
i pulled pump yesterday fixing carbon seal ..and the elbows - bildge system i didnt find anything broke or missing i guess if its missing how would i notice ill look into that, i did find a simple way to control the spray so it dont turn into a mist and i directed the stram to fall into the bildge pichup area. and i found one rubber hose going to muffler slightly loose witha slight drip. thats a great idea leasing car first, and if you dont like it or you do like it you have a choice , at least your not stuck forever with lemon.

pic 1 maybe someone can find something wrong first picture measures 1 1/8
pic2 is the length of that set of tubes
pic3 shows all seals in place
i did a suction and a low pressure into tubes only leak is the pin hole in elbow
only thing i see that can be bad is the black tubes maybee wrong length maybe wrong size
i dont see anything missing or broke very few parts involved in the bildge system !
can anyone notice any issues??
is the system 100 percent correct?
is it that nobody really looks at the elbows with ski running in a higher then idle reverse situation ?
im sure who cares but like i was saying i had to find why so much salt in hull..... turn out three leaks or 4 if you count two bildge elbows .
the bildge in my ski only has the strainer/bildge a tube into elbow with the small pin hole second piece tube to the stern fitting thru stern to the black plastic tube shown in pic 2 (with ruler)then to the venturi. thats it , unless somethings missing nothing clogged either! ( last pic shows flashlight inside hull ) whats wrong or do we not notice this water pissing from small hole which on my ski is only occasionally as i described in a painfully way to long story thanks for looking and if something thats wrong be happy to tell me ill be on it. i just controlled the spray as shown in second to last pic. water drop down on top of bildge strainer/checkvalve

Attachments

• PB230061.JPG
    PB230061.JPG
    843.6 KB · Views: 27
  • PB230071.JPG
    PB230071.JPG
    827.3 KB · Views: 26
  • PB230039.JPG
    PB230039.JPG
    678.4 KB · Views: 20
  • PB230029.JPG
    PB230029.JPG
    890.2 KB · Views: 24
  • PB230032.JPG
    PB230032.JPG
    838.1 KB · Views: 24
  • PB230033.JPG
    PB230033.JPG
    852 KB · Views: 26
  • PB230042.JPG
    PB230042.JPG
    869.6 KB · Views: 27
pic 1 maybe someone can find something wrong first picture measures 1 1/8
pic2 is the length of that set of tubes
pic3 shows all seals in place
i did a suction and a low pressure into tubes only leak is the pin hole in elbow
only thing i see that can be bad is the black tubes maybee wrong length maybe wrong size
i dont see anything missing or broke very few parts involved in the bildge system !
can anyone notice any issues??
is the system 100 percent correct?
is it that nobody really looks at the elbows with ski running in a higher then idle reverse situation ?
im sure who cares but like i was saying i had to find why so much salt in hull..... turn out three leaks or 4 if you count two bildge elbows .
the bildge in my ski only has the strainer/bildge a tube into elbow with the small pin hole second piece tube to the stern fitting thru stern to the black plastic tube shown in pic 2 (with ruler)then to the venturi. thats it , unless somethings missing nothing clogged either! ( last pic shows flashlight inside hull ) whats wrong or do we not notice this water pissing from small hole which on my ski is only occasionally as i described in a painfully way to long story thanks for looking and if something thats wrong be happy to tell me ill be on it. i just controlled the spray as shown in second to last pic. water drop down on top of bildge strainer/checkvalve

There should be 2 small o-rings on the nozzle to allow suction while you ride, if one of those 2 plastic tubes broke you would have water being pump into the Hull, ask me how I found out .the tubes should also be located above the water line to prevent back flow , the mini whole you are asking about is intended to cut the vacuum, the fact it shoots water back into the Hull while in reverse is because instead of vacuum the bucket creates possibly pressure and since we don’t drive in reverse all the time it’s “acceptable “ as per brt standards .hope this clear things up for you .
5d542f383817464bb9bf9e37d8534974.jpg
19738ae2b1f3c1d49f3bb4bb8a4db38d.plist

Last edited:
There should be 2 small o-rings on the nozzle to allow suction while you ride, if one of those 2 plastic tubes broke you would have water being pump into the Hull, ask me how I found out .the tubes should also be located above the water line to prevent back flow , the mini whole you are asking about is intended to cut the vacuum, the fact it shoots water back into the Hull while in reverse is because instead of vacuum the bucket creates possibly pressure and since we don’t drive in reverse all the time it’s “acceptable “ as per brt standards .hope this clear things up for you .
5d542f383817464bb9bf9e37d8534974.jpg
19738ae2b1f3c1d49f3bb4bb8a4db38d.plist
your answer is what i concluded and i agree !! , thanks..! the reason why i started this post is because i called , . the dealers, and for the most part up here in the north east the dealers dont know nor care , unless $$ in there pocket..,and most will swear that theres a problem with my ski no way brp would build a ski that sprays water inside hull they say . but i found brp did design the system to spry minimal amount of water but my case its a lot!! because of clearing pump all day long... . in long island new york south shore most inlets are where seaweed collects so you have to go thru a mile of thick seaweed , hence forward reverse to clear pump for a long time in 5 mph no wake zones . mostly in july and then thruout the day areas you have to advoid or battle seaweed all day long ,so lots of reverse so for me and its a bad thing to have all that salt water so i found a way to controll the spray . to prevent salt mist on everything.

your answer is what i concluded and i agree !! , thanks..! the reason why i started this post is because i called , . the dealers, and for the most part up here in the north east the dealers dont know nor care , unless $$ in there pocket..,and most will swear that theres a problem with my ski no way brp would build a ski that sprays water inside hull they say . but i found brp did design the system to spry minimal amount of water but my case its a lot!! because of clearing pump all day long... . in long island new york south shore most inlets are where seaweed collects so you have to go thru a mile of thick seaweed , hence forward reverse to clear pump for a long time in 5 mph no wake zones . mostly in july and then thruout the day areas you have to advoid or battle seaweed all day long ,so lots of reverse so for me and its a bad thing to have all that salt water so i found a way to controll the spray . to prevent salt mist on everything.

I also ride in Long Island but no seaweed issues near me .

I also ride in Long Island but no seaweed issues near me .
i come out of south shore most the time , when i run north shore no seaweed northshore by the city garbage is the issue . but further out east northshore not much to worry about except big rocks lol . but im going to try to make a shield around carbon seal . like the old skis. dont know why seadoo stoped the shield.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back