Shop Discount Sea-Doo Parts

IBR when in reverse sprays salt water all inside engine compartment

Water Crafts
sea doo gti 1996
has anyone noticed that there 2018 gti 130 ,(or and all seadoo models) when in reverse or brake sprays water inside the engine compartment .??
the two elbows at the top of the bilge system has a pin hole in each one and in reverse shoots out in a fairly strong force of what ever type of water your running in ,creating a salt build up ( in my case i run in salt water )all over the engine compartment. i checked the hoses leading to the pump ( i separated the hoses at the elbow fitting) i put a suction on them and then pressure theres no clog going to or from the pump. and the bilge what on old skiis are only a strainer are now a check valve in the strainer , also in reverse the bilge hose fill up with pressurized water and sprays out the 45 degree elbow , all over.... . i called my dealer and the service guy dont know that theres a hole in the elbows , i called two more dealers and another said there shouldnt be a hole spraying into hull something wrong (yes i agree ) and one last dealer said yes the elbow does have a hole in it and its no big deal its will spray water inside. lol just clean the engine everytime with salt away and oil spray etc. why should i allow my engine to get coated in salt water every time i go in reverse or the brake .and now the dealer i bought it from said i have to bring it in because theres a problem , half the problem is he dont know how the system works ,,,and now i have to waste two round trips to dealer just for them to come up with who knows what and how much$$$$. i know the problem and i make some kind of sheild to at least contain the wwater to fall straight down into bildge area and not all over the motor . the reason why i even looked into this is because of the salt build up on bottom of seat i thought the exhaust pipe was cracked and sparying water all over. and i found by running ski in water on trailer ( in reverse only !) the two elbows. so the finall result is i have to bring ski to dealer because im afraid they will mess up my warrenty. i probbably made a mess of story ill try to put pictures. im hopeing to find and elbow with a small nipple to vent the salt water over board and not in hull. im sure i can do that. just where to put the hoses to go overboard i dont want to make a hole in the hull. im sure it sound like im making a huge deal out of this but i drive in reverse a lot because the canal is loaded with seaweed and if no reverse the old skii cant make it out the mile long canal without overheating and cloging the pump. fun fun/ and salt water bath cant be good !!!!!
any one else with this issue? i guess you wont notice if you dont got in reverse to much thanks

skiasylum

Water Crafts
2011 Sea-Doo Wake Pro 215
I pretty much guarantee that if any other Sea-Doo jet ski owners were having the same problem as your having we would have probably heard about on this forum. Since we have not heard of this before I would then hope the your problem is somewhat isolated. The bilge system works on the Venturi principal of creating a vacuum from high pressure in the jet pump to low pressure in the bilge lines and low wanting to become high. This system needs to be vented to work properly, the pin holes in the elbows which also need to be zip tied in the bilge higher than the jet pump opening to work properly.
Now if we assume the BRP engineers know what there doing, most of the skis, the bilge pumps work without spraying water in the bilge even when we are using reverse and braking I am thinking something is different about your ski than most others.
The first question I would ask is your bilge system operating properly when not using reverse or braking? I would then find a ski that is acting normally and make sure all the hoses, connections, height of elbows are all the same. Something is causing your jet pump to become at a lower pressure than your bilge line in reverse and causing a opposite low to high flow into your bilge. Should not be to hard to track down.

Water Crafts
sea doo gti 1996
mine is working as such in forward the pump is sucking thru the lines the elbows and the check valves (bildge strainer), which allow the pump to suck out any water that may be in hull. i believe that normal?
and in reverse/brake the bildge lines fill with water the check valves(strainer) stop any water from filling into the hull, except for the elbow that have a pin hole in each, which i believ the pin hole allows for the reverse /brake to bleed fast and work asap. to help prevent accident and for faster reverse. i believe thats working normal?
except for the fact that my ski has two elbows squirting a small water pistol like stream that is constant in reverse which i dont like at all !!!!!!!!!!!!!! is that the way the ski was designed????????. common sense tells me salt water shooing into hull isnt good !!!!! because i have no choice to drive in reverse a lot when seaweed is cloging my pump every few secounds in forward , maybe most people dont notice or even get a salt build up , i drive my ski 4hrs each time out and im in reverse for 30 minutes of the 4hrs figthing seaweed. lol

benjilafouine

Water Crafts
Sea-Doo GTI LE 2003, GTI 90 2018
Never saw a drop on my GTI 2018. After a thunderstorm if not covered I can see sometimes a few ounces but that is it. Definitely something not normal. How much water remains in the hull after a normal ride?

Water Crafts
sea doo gti 1996
Never saw a drop on my GTI 2018. After a thunderstorm if not covered I can see sometimes a few ounces but that is it. Definitely something not normal. How much water remains in the hull after a normal ride?
i found my carbon seal is spraying also, and on my 1996 and two 1997 s there is a plastic shield over the carbon seal to contain the spray . does anyone elses skii have a plastic cover over the carbon seal on the 2018 ?

Water Crafts
sea doo gti 1996
its a slight spray even a mist but after running the ski for a full day the compartment is covered in salt spray everything in the rear and some salt on top of the engine . at least i found two problems , my seat lock is even froze now i have to use a good deal of force to open the seat seems the least of my problems .
is my ski missing a carbon seal plastic shield ? my other three skiis had this plastic shield but my 2018 gti does not .

Water Crafts
sea doo gti 1996
i found my carbon seal is spraying also, and on my 1996 and two 1997 s there is a plastic shield over the carbon seal to contain the spray . does anyone elses skii have a plastic cover over the carbon seal on the 2018 ?
there is a coating of salt most water is removed from hull by the bilge system.

Water Crafts
sea doo gti 1996
so ill have to bring it in to the dealer at least i know whats wrong . who buys a new skii and wants to change the carbon seal. i know ill get the blame but i called about it after a few hours of run time( i was told carbon seal is dry it dont leak ) and i know i didnt over heat the carbon seal i never run it on hose for more then like 30 secounds nevermind two minutes . lol
just wondering if there should be a shield like on my older skiis ???? there is actually a small rubber sheild at the rear of the motor but it dont cover where the carbon seal and the stainless steel ring meet which is where the water is leaking

Last edited:

SPONSORED LINKS

Usergroup

Administrator Moderator Premium Member