I may be closing the shop, and heading into a new carrier.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Dr Honda

Hi Guys,

Well... I'm not even sure where to start with this one... but I may be closing my shop.

Basically... my dad is getting the the point where he would like to retire, and he has come to me, asking to step up in the family biz. My Wife, and Brother both work for him, and if I joined, he could step down, and just let us run it.

His company is a consulting group, that services high-end hotels and their restaurants. Needless to say... this would take me from wearing a ball cap, and T-shirts, to wearing a a suit every day.

The downfall would be a lot of travel, and being away from home. The up side is eating at the finest restaurants, and staying at the best hotels in the USA. Also... the $$ will be good.

Anyway... I just wanted to throw that out there. Let me know what you think.

I think most shops suck. Probably about 90 percent or more are just some idiot waiting in a trap compared to you. If you quit it would be the loss of a great one but that should not stop you from bettering your life.

Yup, just gotta do what is best for your life. You will still be required to do carb rebuilds tho :)

How will the traveling affect your time with the kids is another big thing, I'm sure you've thought of it all tho

sounds like a positive move and quite an interesting adventure !

I fly free since my wife works for the airlines, that job description might be the only thing I'd like better than pushing paperwork around all day like I do now. So, at least from my perspective, it sounds awesome !

good luck with your decision ! But the bottom line is that if its a well established and stable company, it sounds like a solid move.

Pros and cons no matter the direction you head. I fly five days a week and generally enjoy my job. If I had to go through regular security like everyone else I honestly think if quit.

I did exactly what you are thinking about with a slight different twist. My father came to me and said that if I don't come run the family business it would close and he pretty much put the world on my shoulders. I felt good about what I did but it came at GREAT EXPENSE AS WELL. Affected my marriage, affected my income in a negative manner and affected my health due to the tremendous stress that came with it. I worked there for 21 years and we made millions. However, it was so hard that I literally walked away and signed everything over to my brother.

I would think the biggest potential issue you will want to look at is, the change it will make in your direct family life. Will the travel affect the relationship you have with your spouse kids?

I think you I'll miss the hands in work but you will be glad to be away from it as well. I LOVE that I can fix almost anything. But I also LOVE that now I do so out of desire to to be helpful.

Make two lists of the pros and cons and see if one strongly offsets the other.

I truly wish you the best with this. It can be a challenging time within your life.

I almost made a similar post today but it has to do with my office closing and relocating. Some rather large decisions and challenges in my near future.

Hi Guys,

Well... I'm not even sure where to start with this one... but I may be closing my shop.

Basically... my dad is getting the the point where he would like to retire, and he has come to me, asking to step up in the family biz. My Wife, and Brother both work for him, and if I joined, he could step down, and just let us run it.

His company is a consulting group, that services high-end hotels and their restaurants. Needless to say... this would take me from wearing a ball cap, and T-shirts, to wearing a a suit every day.

The downfall would be a lot of travel, and being away from home. The up side is eating at the finest restaurants, and staying at the best hotels in the USA. Also... the $$ will be good.

Tony, how old are your kids? Obviously, you need to provide for your family but caution you about the impact a lot of travel can also have on the family. Only you know how it will/wont go over. In my last position, I traveled a few weeks each month and it worked for us. My wife and kids missed me when I was gone and had a deal that if my travel included a plane trip, the kids had a gift from me when I came off the plane. My travel was mostly Monday-Thursday so was not missing weekends. When my kids got a little older and I saw how much of their lives I would miss (sports, etc) I made the decision to jump off the corporate ladder and take a position at the same company that would allow me to work from home, good pay and minimal travel. I have seen many more families/relationships impacted negatively than positively from extensive travel positions....

Good luck with your decision!

Just some random thoughts...

This company has been around for at least 15 years now, and is relatively stable. (no issue with that)

The money is good, and when I opened my shop, the $150k start up cash came from this company. If I go to work with my fam... I could probably build enough $$$ to retire on in 7~8 years, and have my house paid off. in comparison, my shop is "feast or famine". (spring and early summer, I turn away work. Winter, I sit around more than I like)

The wife is the person who books the travel for the company, so she knows what will be involved. And, for the first year or so, I would be doing more homework over travel, to get up to speed. eventually, I'm sure it would get rough... but when I am home, I could be a hands on dad. So, it's not like a normal biz, where I would still have to work 9 to 5 when I wasn't traveling.

The stress could be bad... but probably no worse than I have now.

Since it's all family, I know that I get along with the other employees.

If I liquidate my shop... I have at least $100k in equipment, and inventory, so that would be a great departing gift to myself. But, I was thinking about building a new garage, and put some cnc machines in, here at the house. (nice to have to make custom parts with)

I think that's about it for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the career change something you would be happy with. Can you truly say that you would be doing what you want if you made the change? Furthermore, is running your shop as you are now making you happy? I think that happiness is severely underrated and the monetary aspect should play a lesser part in making a life decision.

Is the career change something you would be happy with. Can you truly say that you would be doing what you want if you made the change? Furthermore, is running your shop as you are now making you happy? I think that happiness is severely underrated and the monetary aspect should play a lesser part in making a life decision.

I have found that the more money I make, the more I spend... I am just as broke making 6 figures as I was when I was making $23K!!!!

Doing what you enjoy and being there for your family are the most important things.

Just because you will be working with family is absolutely no guarantee that you will have a harmonious relationship when you are involved in a work environment and tripping over each other on a day-to-day basis.

Travel can be enjoyable when you desire to do it; when it is mandatory a lot of the joy goes away. As Coastie mentioned, commercial airline travel these days is a real PITA; if, however you have your own corporate jet to tool around in this makes it much more bearable.

Been there, done that (without the corporate jet): many years of 80-100 hour work weeks, my ex-wife enjoyed the $, corporation came to expect the extra work and it was a lot of trouble when I tried to scale back, burned out.

But, what the hell; you never really know until you try something new. Maybe it will be the real you. You do have fallback options.

Whatever you decide, here is wishing you the best of luck.

Rod

a lot of good insight here, then on the other side of the coin, if you can pull an early retirement and pay off the house in 7 to 10 years would be a dream for sure. the plus side is that your wife works for the company and knows up front the traveling schedule. worst case is you can always go back to what you were doing.

I have found that the more money I make, the more I spend... I am just as broke making 6 figures as I was when I was making $23K!!!!

Yep know a few guys like that...but I learnt not to spend up to it.... and I have best of both world 5 days on 5 days off...love life

a lot of good insight here, then on the other side of the coin, if you can pull an early retirement and pay off the house in 7 to 10 years would be a dream for sure. the plus side is that your wife works for the company and knows up front the traveling schedule. worst case is you can always go back to what you were doing.

Yes, but you never know what tomorrow is going to bring.... My father worked his tail off so he could retire at 45. Bought a sail boat and got his captains license. He and my mother were going to sail the world. 2 years later she was dead from pancreatic cancer. There is a fine line between providing and working too hard and not enjoying life. VERY tough to find the right balance!

I have a saying on the wall of my home office... it reads... "Never Get So Busy Making A Living That You Forget To Make A Life"

I have a saying on the wall of my home office... it reads... "Never Get So Busy Making A Living That You Forget To Make A Life"

That's very true. I left a perfectly good day job to open my shop, so I would have more time for myself. Also, I always heard... "You won't get rich working for someone else" from my dad all the time.

I guess at this point, I figured I would have a few employees, and I would be doing more of the "Executive" work. But, I'm still a one man shop, and that has finally gotten to be too much of a load. I like being the engineer, and making new parts... I just don't like being on my back, or hanging with my feet in the air, trying to install an engine anymore.

Honestly... if it doesn't work out with my dad... I think I'm going to go back to school, and get my teaching cert. I've always been good with that. I can teach math, Physics, Bio, Chem, and Auto shop. (lol) Besides, being a teacher, I would have my summers off, and I could just sit on my boat.

Hi Guys,

For 24 years I traveled with my job all over the world. It would be easier for me to name the places I have not been rather than the places that I have. That being said, it cost me a couple of marriages and my kids growing up with their father always gone.

As someone who has "been there...done that," I would think long and hard before taking time away from those precious kids I see in your boat pics. Just a thought!!
Forgive me if this seems out of line.

Yes, but you never know what tomorrow is going to bring.... My father worked his tail off so he could retire at 45. Bought a sail boat and got his captains license. He and my mother were going to sail the world. 2 years later she was dead from pancreatic cancer. There is a fine line between providing and working too hard and not enjoying life. VERY tough to find the right balance!

yes i totally agree, at my job i have the option to work 6 days a week but dont, life to me is more important than money for sure. if i knew if it would make a difference on an early retirement or such i may have considered it. but yes i would never take on more than i could handle as i like my freedom too much.

That's very true. I left a perfectly good day job to open my shop, so I would have more time for myself. Also, I always heard... "You won't get rich working for someone else" from my dad all the time.

I guess at this point, I figured I would have a few employees, and I would be doing more of the "Executive" work. But, I'm still a one man shop, and that has finally gotten to be too much of a load. I like being the engineer, and making new parts... I just don't like being on my back, or hanging with my feet in the air, trying to install an engine anymore.

Honestly... if it doesn't work out with my dad... I think I'm going to go back to school, and get my teaching cert. I've always been good with that. I can teach math, Physics, Bio, Chem, and Auto shop. (lol) Besides, being a teacher, I would have my summers off, and I could just sit on my boat.

And there lies some of the balance! First job is to provide! When you start to have concern on continuing what you are doing, it makes the trade off less of an issue as you need to be a provider... I totally get not wanting to be on your back! I was in Autobody for 9 years and had to get out because I knew I could not be doing that until retirement. Plus when I broke several fingers on my hand and was unable to work and make money, realized I had to get out. Now I do not have the body stress but the mind stress... The biggest thing I would suggest if you do it is to make sure you carve out specific time for the family. Just as if one decides to slack off at work, they will not be employed long, if one slacks off on the family, that will not last long either!

Good luck with your decision bud!

Well it sounds like a tough decision. Personally I travel a bit, and the novelty has long worn off. I much rather stay at home with my wife, taking my daughter to hockey practice, watching her grow up, as opposed to being away for weeks at a time. Not worth it for me. Even eating at the best restaurants isn't worth it, I just tend to over eat and get wider. Now my travel is about 4 days per month, which still can be too much at times.

Now with this opportunity, are there ways to cut the travel back? That may be something to consider. Whatever you do make sure it works for your and your family. And don't wait til retirement to enjoy yourself, my dad never made it that far. Your kids are only young once, make the most of it.

Good luck with your decision.

Well....

Thanks for all the input guys. And traveling for work really isn't my thing. But the family wants me, and the money will be very good. The only upside to this kind of travel, is that I'm in control of it, to a point. If I decide I need to be home for important things.... I can be. If I want to take a month off, to enjoy Xmas with the kids... I can.

I'm going to sit down with my Dad tomorrow, and work out some of the details. I think it will be a "one year trial" kind of thing. So, if it's not working out... I can walk away. At that point, I could reopen the shop, go back to school, or get a job in a lab again. I'm sure some of you guys know... I have degrees in Physics, Bio, and liberal arts... so research labs have wanted me. Also... I have been offered lab jobs at a few companies I use to buy product from.

I'll post up tomorrow night, and let you know the outcome.

Well....

Thanks for all the input guys. And traveling for work really isn't my thing. But the family wants me, and the money will be very good. The only upside to this kind of travel, is that I'm in control of it, to a point. If I decide I need to be home for important things.... I can be. If I want to take a month off, to enjoy Xmas with the kids... I can.

I'm going to sit down with my Dad tomorrow, and work out some of the details. I think it will be a "one year trial" kind of thing. So, if it's not working out... I can walk away. At that point, I could reopen the shop, go back to school, or get a job in a lab again. I'm sure some of you guys know... I have degrees in Physics, Bio, and liberal arts... so research labs have wanted me. Also... I have been offered lab jobs at a few companies I use to buy product from.

I'll post up tomorrow night, and let you know the outcome.

Good luck on the decision and may God be with you in making the right choice.

it would be sad to see you close up shop after becoming such a big part of this community, but you should do what makes you happy.

If I were in your position, I think it would come down to whether or not the job would be something I'd want to do if it didn't have anything to do with family. Being around them can make things more fun, or more interesting, but in the end if the job sucks, the fact that you work with family won't fix it.

GL to you in whatever you decide.

Strizzo: I'll still be here. I just won't be turning a wrench. (as often)

OK guys. It looks like I'm going into the Family Biz. Owning my own shop was fun... but my old bones was having a hard time with some of it. We are still working out the final details... but I will keep you all up today with what happens.

Back