i have a 951 motor 1998 gsx blown head gasket

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

heythere152

w/o taking the motor out. can i shave the top of the head. i put a straight edge on it and seems to be a small amount of clearance in a few spot. can i mill the head? put a thicker gasket on? if the head need s to be milled what the max allowance. if anyone knows id appreciate it

take it to a good machine shop and let them check it

if they shave the head at all, you are going to have to make a "squish" adjustment, which means the cylinders are going to have to come off too( you adjust combustion chamber volume by using different cyinder base gaskets. Pretty sure there is only one head gaskt.. It gets a bit messy at that point, I'd suggest pulling the engine and doing it "right". 951 motors are brutal expensive to replace so you don't want to be guessing with this one. Likely the engine overheated if the head gasket failed, unless you found the bolts were loose, but a warped head is a pretty clear indication of deeper and more costly problems.

Another option is to shave the head surface and the squish band surfaces the same amount.

Chester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back