1998 sea doo GTX 951 is this sound piston slap or worse?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle135.1

that’s the link of it running, just bought a sea doo was told the motor needed rebuilt, pulled the head and pistons looked intact but had a fair amount of side to side play. Either way I swapped the head gasket because it was blown and got water into the cylinder, when I started it it would only run with some throttle and wouldn’t idle and made an horrible noise that sounded like rod knock. I already know I’ll need new pistons but I was wondering if a bottom end rebuild is necessary too. The ski has about 440 hours on it and has definitely had the top end done before from the look of it.

Hard to tell without getting in there, kinda sounds like a piston slap. Tear the top end down, and then do a visual inspection on the rod bearings, as well as checking for any play.
Chances are, you will probably end up with a full rebuild. If the pistons are that bad, whatever caused it (lack of lubrication, overheating etc.) probably damaged the bottom end as well.

Update, pulled the cylinder and one of the crank bearings is locked, what’s the best place to buy a rebuild kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back