I build to order my Sea Doo Spark - Plus New Gadgets for it

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

cheappc

Well, Ladies and Gentleman, Im almost ready to plunge and get my Sea Doo Spark.
I built it on seadoo.com, and I decided to get the 2 up, HO Engine, and Step Ladder. It came out to $5788.00

Also, in other good news I found vendors already creating their own "front storage bins" and bumpers and etc...
Which I figured would happen, so I dont have to get the most expensive Sea Doo Spark. I basically can get the lowest cost Spark, and add those options later (which I am very happy about)... I can probably add the "3 up" extension in the back, and get the "3 up seat" later as well...

I know I can buy the non HO engine and tune it later, but it would also mean that I have to buy the adapter and software, which is a little too much for right now, I can just add the HO option for $699.

So here is the ebay listing for the front storage bin:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sea-Doo-Spark-Front-Storage-Kit-/151191458176?pt=Personal_Watercraft_Parts&hash=item2333b69180&vxp=mtr

also the website that has these things:

http://sparkwatercraft.com/

Of course the price up there is not including tax.

I found a new trailer for $400 dollars. But I was hoping that maybe I can rig my current Sea Doo Speedster Trailer to add the Spark, or do you guys think the Sea Doo Spark, can fit in my 4runner?..

decision, decisions, decisions. The only way I can get the spark is I have to pay 2 outstanding loans right now which are almost paid, just like when I bought my boat, I commited my self to pay off 2 monthly debts before I incur more debt, so I have 2 credit cards totalling more than the spark per month... so just makes sense! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool, I'll have to check out the build your own.

Just so you know, by adding the extension and the seat will not "legally" make your spark a 3up. It will not have the proper legal certifications, so if you were to get caught, you would probably get fined.

That bin and side rails are oem parts.

Can't wait to hear you ordered it:thumbup:

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Cool, I'll have to check out the build your own.

Just so you know, by adding the extension and the seat will not "legally" make your spark a 3up. It will not have the proper legal certifications, so if you were to get caught, you would probably get fined.

That bin and side rails are oem parts.

Can't wait to hear you ordered it:thumbup:

Wow, didnt know about the "legal certifications".. but in all honesty, every time A water cop has pulled me over, they "never" have asked me for the sitting capacity.., and after all my investigations, the 2 up spark and 3 up spark are exactly the same thing, the "only" difference is the seat and back extension.. ummm so I think I can have legal cause.. (lol).

Also, remember, even the "engine" is the same, just a different software tune, which probably would make sense for me not to even pay the $699.99 if they are probably going to be selling that like hot cakes next summer (the software tune)... (oh by the way I think its the "engine" that makes the seating capacity?)

The only thing that probably makes sense is the "step ladder" which I dont want to hassle in putting up. Also, your going to think this is crazy, I even feel like calling Seadoo and just ordering it directly from them! WOW! Imagine I can do that, and they deliver it to my house?

Wow.. that would be new... lets see.. :)

Here are some pictures when I went to the local dealer to see it for myself how big it was, and what I really thought of it. I had a 1996 XP 800, which we all love here, but I was too fat to get back on it (im a big guy weighing in at 248 pounds), this time, I was even allowed to get on it not even in water.. hopefully it stays true to the gravity factor on water, also if my calculations are correct, if I put $1,000 down, my payments would be like $79:

seadoospark1.jpg

seadoospark2.jpg

seadoospark3.jpg

seadoospark4.jpg

seadoospark5.jpg

seadoospark6.jpg

seadoospark7.jpg

You aren't worried about bogging down on the spark?
The $79 a month will get you for 84 months at 8% approx. are you at least going to the 90hp HO motor? I am 200 lbs and I think the spark will be too light to support me on a fun ride.

Personally, short of winning the lottery, or a rich uncle in Nigeria dying and leaving me 3 million, I've decided to wait a year. A couple of reasons, it's an all new ski, I'm gonna let you guys be guinea pigs and ride them for a year, and maybe I'm old fashioned, but I'm not so sure about a thermo-plastic hull.

I saw the video about the guy in New Zealand who cracked his hull, $2500.00 for a new hull, and I don't think that included labor. Except for a Grumman canoe I once owned every watercraft I've owned has been fiberglass.

Lou

You aren't worried about bogging down on the spark?
The $79 a month will get you for 84 months at 8% approx. are you at least going to the 90hp HO motor? I am 200 lbs and I think the spark will be too light to support me on a fun ride.

My old 89 SP was like 50hp and was a hoot to ride, even 2 up. The spark is more than buoyant and powerful to move 200#. My 58 bug has 36 HP, and moves my family of 4 at 65 MPH down the turnpike just fine. You're over thinking it.

Personally, short of winning the lottery, or a rich uncle in Nigeria dying and leaving me 3 million, I've decided to wait a year. A couple of reasons, it's an all new ski, I'm gonna let you guys be guinea pigs and ride them for a year, and maybe I'm old fashioned, but I'm not so sure about a thermo-plastic hull.

I saw the video about the guy in New Zealand who cracked his hull, $2500.00 for a new hull, and I don't think that included labor. Except for a Grumman canoe I once owned every watercraft I've owned has been fiberglass.

Lou

Technology is changing, unfortunately we all need to evolve and adapt and embrace the new materials. I'm sure folks back in the early years of the Corvette said the same thing when the "fiberglass" body came out and look at the Vette's now. I bet they will make refinements for next years model. While that guy broke his hull, here in the states it retails for $1,666.99. Part#292001440

So Dan, exactly what are you saying? Do you think it's time to sell my stock in the buggy whip factory? :cool:

Seriously, I'm not saying it's a bad material, I'm just taking a wait and see attitude.

Lou

So Dan, exactly what are you saying? Do you think it's time to sell my stock in the buggy whip factory? :cool:

Seriously, I'm not saying it's a bad material, I'm just taking a wait and see attitude.

Lou

Lol, don't sell your stocks.

It's one hull that we've seen break, so far. I don't know the circumstance behind the break, but you will always have some failure. I'm not sure how his insurance works, if he even had it, but it would basically cost the deductible and she's back on the water. Provided they don't total it, lol. I don't blame you for waiting

Well, I guess I'm a little different. Over the years, and this is a lesson I learned from my Dad. If I can't afford it I don't buy it, I absolutely won't finance toys. Therefore I rarely buy new, and I don't buy expensive toys, so my replacement costs are minimal, so I do carry liability insurance, but I also have $500.00 deductible for collision, an amount that I feel I can afford to pay.

Lou

Well, I guess I'm a little different. Over the years, and this is a lesson I learned from my Dad. If I can't afford it I don't buy it, I absolutely won't finance toys. Therefore I rarely buy new, and I don't buy expensive toys, so my replacement costs are minimal, so I do carry liability insurance, but I also have $500.00 deductible for collision, an amount that I feel I can afford to pay.

Lou

I saw the pictures of the crack hull, no bueno, but I'm hoping I never have to go through that, and I do have full coverage on my speedster I only pay $179 a year and will be adding I to my spark.

The only big issue I have is if the spark is too small to get back on if I fall off, I weighed too much for my xp 800 that's why I sold it.. I read on another site that this 300 lb guy had hard time getting back on it... So maybe I'm going to have o get the 3 extension...

Oh and about financing, I usually make double payments and pay it off, or usually sell it before I pay it in full..

I saw the pictures of the crack hull, no bueno, but I'm hoping I never have to go through that, and I do have full coverage on my speedster I only pay $179 a year and will be adding I to my spark.

The only big issue I have is if the spark is too small to get back on if I fall off, I weighed too much for my xp 800 that's why I sold it.. I read on another site that this 300 lb guy had hard time getting back on it... So maybe I'm going to have o get the 3 extension...

Oh and about financing, I usually make double payments and pay it off, or usually sell it before I pay it in full..

I take delivery of a 3up hopefully later this week (dealer called me yesterday to say it had arrived). I'm a big bloke too, around 290lb, 6'4".. I had a similar worry when i started looking at them and pretty much immediately crossed out the 2 up as an option... with the 3 up, i've still got capacity to have a passenger if needed (most likely my partner, she's only a small girl)..

Anyway, I plan on riding mine in rough weather and surf so re-boarding will be important to me, and i'm hoping to get that sorted fairly quickly.. the spark on paper is a fair whack bigger than the XP800, wider and longer, the 3up even more so again with the length..

Will feedback how I go..

Your probably better going the 3up, I had heard you can remove the rear extension fairly easy, and you get the longer seat also..

I really dont think reboarding will be too bad. Im 225 and had zero issues with the 2 up. Its basically an XP long and a GSX wide. Its quite stable.

Very cool! If I was to get one, yellow would be my choice for sure. Call me old fashion, but all the high performance Sea Doo's back in the 90's had yellow in them!

My wife and I got to check one out at a dealer here in Michigan and thought it was very cool. Things that worried me are the cheap plastics everywhere! The side panels that remove for engine access were very flimsy and cheap feeling. I understand this is a "cheap" ski but time will tell how these plastic bits hold up. I have a feeling that fading and cracking will be issues as time moves on. At least with these older skis you can buff out the gel coat to like new most of the time.. To be honest I'm just glad to see a smaller jetski being made. Once the dust settles we will probably get one as well.

First day on the water on my 3up.. I'm new to pwc and this is the first ski I've owned, have riden a couple of times but the last was about 3 years ago.. Stability wise, I didn't have an issue, when I first got on, from waist deep water, it took 30 seconds to get my balance, but during that time the ski didn't get to a point where I thought it was going to tip.. After that, moving at 5 knots out of the port was solid stable.. Once out and giving it some throttle it comes up out the water no problems at all.. While i was out the chop picked up substantially and was fairly rough, the ski handled great, however it's time for me to get back to the gym, my arms and legs are certainly feeling it now! Response was outstanding, was very easy to throw around, super quick acceleration off idle.. Taking it easy at the moment for run in, a few full throttle squirts but only short, tried to keep around half to three quarters.. Hour and a half on the water and the fuel gauge still says full, will fill up again next time out just to check exactly how much was used.. Didn't try a deep water re board but from waist deep had no issue boarding from the rear..

First day on the water on my 3up.. I'm new to pwc and this is the first ski I've owned, have riden a couple of times but the last was about 3 years ago.. Stability wise, I didn't have an issue, when I first got on, from waist deep water, it took 30 seconds to get my balance, but during that time the ski didn't get to a point where I thought it was going to tip.. After that, moving at 5 knots out of the port was solid stable.. Once out and giving it some throttle it comes up out the water no problems at all.. While i was out the chop picked up substantially and was fairly rough, the ski handled great, however it's time for me to get back to the gym, my arms and legs are certainly feeling it now! Response was outstanding, was very easy to throw around, super quick acceleration off idle.. Taking it easy at the moment for run in, a few full throttle squirts but only short, tried to keep around half to three quarters.. Hour and a half on the water and the fuel gauge still says full, will fill up again next time out just to check exactly how much was used.. Didn't try a deep water re board but from waist deep had no issue boarding from the rear..

Exactly what I wanted to hear!... so, it was kinda hard to get back on it? even with the 3 up... wow so the 2 up for a fat guy like me would be tough..

So why did it take you 30 seconds? Did you get the reboarding step?, which is not bad, but just want to know... also, please post pictures! :)

Exactly what I wanted to hear!... so, it was kinda hard to get back on it? even with the 3 up... wow so the 2 up for a fat guy like me would be tough..

So why did it take you 30 seconds? Did you get the reboarding step?, which is not bad, but just want to know... also, please post pictures! :)

In all honesty, I think the 30 seconds to get my balance was just the fact it was the first time on a ski for so long.. I remember the same thing last time I road and that was on a yamaha gp1200 rental.. I guess sort of like riding a bike for the first time..

I found the extension on the 3 up was good for getting up on, plenty of room. Yes I did get the re boarding step but didn't use it, I don't know why, was a lot going on as it was at the boat ramp and there was a lot of other boats around, I was just trying to get on and out of there as quick as I could..

Will get some photos up in the next few days..

Thanks for the post, really awesome.. it will be 81 degrees this Sunday in SoCal, would be nice to have it.. how much did you pay for yours if you dont mind me asking? thanks..

Thanks for the post, really awesome.. it will be 81 degrees this Sunday in SoCal, would be nice to have it.. how much did you pay for yours if you dont mind me asking? thanks..

I'm in Australia, we seem to get screwed on everything we buy, they are even talking about taxing us for overseas internet purchases! Mine cost me $10,800au, with front storage bin, boarding step, trailer, including all registration etc (ready to use).. Which is a decent price here, best I could find..

A few photos I just snapped in the garage.. Will take some more next time I'm out, crappy weather here today..
35.jpg
36.jpg

37.jpg
38.jpg
39.jpg

Back