I build to order my Sea Doo Spark - Plus New Gadgets for it

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Exactly what I wanted to hear!... so, it was kinda hard to get back on it? even with the 3 up... wow so the 2 up for a fat guy like me would be tough..

So why did it take you 30 seconds? Did you get the reboarding step?, which is not bad, but just want to know... also, please post pictures! :)

Just to update on this post.. I was out today and got thrown off for the first time in 10 hours of riding.. Playing around in a 40ftrs wake and miss judged a bit, flew off side ways.. Anyway I hadn't practiced getting back on in deep water yet so it was a first.. First attempt, used the reboarding step, grabbed the rear handle, pulled myself up then used the strap on the seat to slide up, I didn't realize at the time but the lanyard/key had got caught In The boarding step, being attached to my PFD it was holding me back from going any further, so I bailed back into the water.. I then waited and relaxed for a couple of minutes, tucked the lanyard into the top of the PFD and gave it another shot, up and on no problems.. The ski did become a bit unstable once the foot wells fill up, but as long as your weight is centered all is ok, I just got myself onto the seat as quick as possible.. The platform on the 3 up made it easier for me, I ended up on my knees then got onto the seat., I think after a bit of practice I'll have it mastered..

Just to update on this post.. I was out today and got thrown off for the first time in 10 hours of riding.. Playing around in a 40ftrs wake and miss judged a bit, flew off side ways.. Anyway I hadn't practiced getting back on in deep water yet so it was a first.. First attempt, used the reboarding step, grabbed the rear handle, pulled myself up then used the strap on the seat to slide up, I didn't realize at the time but the lanyard/key had got caught In The boarding step, being attached to my PFD it was holding me back from going any further, so I bailed back into the water.. I then waited and relaxed for a couple of minutes, tucked the lanyard into the top of the PFD and gave it another shot, up and on no problems.. The ski did become a bit unstable once the foot wells fill up, but as long as your weight is centered all is ok, I just got myself onto the seat as quick as possible.. The platform on the 3 up made it easier for me, I ended up on my knees then got onto the seat., I think after a bit of practice I'll have it mastered..

Thanks for that, I ordered mine 2 up and I am going to be buying the 3 up extension on the back, but was worried about getting back on it in deep water..

Thanks for that, I ordered mine 2 up and I am going to be buying the 3 up extension on the back, but was worried about getting back on it in deep water..

You should be right.. I've done it a couple of more times now.. Gets easier each time..

I did the same thing, bought it in Jan in MN when it was -20 outside, sight unseen, other than sitting on it at the boat show. It should arrive in a 2-3 more weeks, hopefully spring will also decide to show up sometime fairly soon... Heard we're having more snow later this week after being teased tomorrow with close to 60 degree weather. Cruel, very cruel. Also, I hope my decision to go 2 up HO with IBR turns out to be the right one, has anyone ordered/driven that combo as of yet?

Yep, sure did. Liked the way I was treated, and as a bonus, found out after the sale at the show that they are opening a 2nd location in Golden Valley off of 394 next to Menards, between 169 & 100. That will be closer to me, but it won't open till after I pick up my ski (was told today it would most likely be opening by June), unless we have another winter like last year, when it snowed into May... :banghead: Seemed like good ppl to me, and as this is the first PWC I've ever owned, (if it wasn't for the price, under 8k out the door w/trailer, I still wouldn't be an owner... 12-18k for a jetski? Really? Not for this guy) I'd like to have a decent relationship with the dealer, especially since I got the 5 year warranty, & they are going to be my go to place when things go wrong, which I'm sure they will. It is a 1st year model, after all. Hopefully not too often, of course...

Did you buy from St boni?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Good deal... Yes out of all the dealers around here they are the best by far. You have a great attitude about it because yes... Im sure there will be some problems it's a machine.

Where do you typically ride tonka? I rode the spark down in havasu in October but can't wait to take one of boni's demo sparks out on tonka.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Actually, I rarely go on tonka, it's Way too crowded, at least the times I was out there (on the weekends, of course) so I've mostly done my fairly limited amount of riding on vacation up north in the whitefish chain. I think I'll be trying Waconia this summer, Prior is getting as bad as Minnetonka I've heard, but since I will now have my own, I may give them all a try on a weekday, maybe it won't be quite as bad. Just makes me a little nervous when I'm on something the size of an oversized skateboard cruising around 40-50'+ yachts with ppl who aren't always paying attn...

Yeah I like chasing the big boats around tonka on the weekends. The little crappy launch by the Wayzata sail club is fairly easy to get in and out of, its pretty crappy so its usually just fishing boats and PWCs that use it.

I really wonder if the Spark can handle the abuse I dole out on a weekend to weekend basis...lol

[video=youtube;CExs1OKaqsA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CExs1OKaqsA[/video]

Ooh, fairly easy access to the freeway, no fighting for launching, what makes it so crappy? Just small, or falling apart? I don't want to wreck my new toy just getting it in and out of the drink...

Yeah I like chasing the big boats around tonka on the weekends. The little crappy launch by the Wayzata sail club is fairly easy to get in and out of, its pretty crappy so its usually just fishing boats and PWCs that use it.

I really wonder if the Spark can handle the abuse I dole out on a weekend to weekend basis...lol

[video=youtube;CExs1OKaqsA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CExs1OKaqsA[/video]

Sweet...

Yep, my phone sent this...

Ooh, fairly easy access to the freeway, no fighting for launching, what makes it so crappy? Just small, or falling apart? I don't want to wreck my new toy just getting it in and out of the drink...

its just a bit run down and small, the gaps between the cement pads arent very filled in so things bounce, and it really sux for boats when the water is low.

For jetskis its pure gold.

Actually, I rarely go on tonka, it's Way too crowded, at least the times I was out there (on the weekends, of course) so I've mostly done my fairly limited amount of riding on vacation up north in the whitefish chain. I think I'll be trying Waconia this summer, Prior is getting as bad as Minnetonka I've heard

The trick to tonka is to get there before 10:30. At 11 the rookies start showing up and launch times get LOOOONG. Prior is worse than tonka for crowded ramps. Waconia is nice but will probably get boring riding circles around that island and getting dirty looks from the sail boats. Like Nick said wake jumping on Minnetonka is where it's at (that's why I own jet skis).

There's also the st croix river. Lots of places to eat, HUGE boats to jump wakes and no speed limit.

Huh? Speed limit? In a boat? What's up with this? (obviously I am a noob, so Please be nice... ;)) I have seen and know about no wake zones, but speed limits?

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL I know huh? White bear lake and Tonka are controlled by the LMCD, and there is a 50? mph limit. The LMCD is one of the worst organizations known to the lakes. F'in hate those bastards.

I got pulled over a few summers ago by an undercover...yes they have those too! on a fishing boat. He hassled me about throttling in a no wake zone which I looked left and right before I went; he must have been looking at an angle or I would have seen him as I looked to make sure I had crossed the imaginary line. Then he tells me you cant pass a boat in a bouyed area. THEN...he starts guessing...yes guessing...I was going too fast. I asked him to them tell me the speed of two speed boats drag racing right in front of us CLEARLY going very fast and he got all pissy. He then proceeded to stalk me and my group all day long and eventually got me on wake jumping.

The guy was an ass, it was Labor Day weekend so they have these extra guys on the lake. I have been pulled over by the normal water patrol and for the most part they have been easy to deal with.

Minnetonka is hardcore with rules and patrol. They are even testing fire extinguishers now.

Unfortunately the speed limit is 40mph. 20 at night. But I have never heard of someone getting ticketed for that. In my experience they're more worried about DUIs and life jackets. One day I was driving a Florida boat that had the numbers but no tabs and passed about 6 patrols and they never stopped me so they are selective.

In their defense it does get pretty chaotic out there with partyers that have no clue how to operate a boat (like my brother in law).

As far as speed in a no wake zone, MN law says a PWC can have a wake if that speed is necessary to maintain control. So if you ever get hassled for 5 or 10 mph in a no wake zone you can easily fight it.

Wow, didn't know any of that. I can see one thing I am going to do asap is get a copy of whatever official rule/law book that says you can have a wake to keep control, pull that page out highlite it and get it laminated, and keep it somewhere secure on the ski, so when Barney Fife comes along with a hassle, I'll whip it out and (politely) say "I am only trying to be safe and keep complete control of my watercraft at all times, for the safety of myself and all others on the shore and on the water". And no offense, but I guess my biggest concern being the smallest fish in a Big pond with ppl like your bro-in-law, because I have to think, just like when I am riding my bike, 700 lbs (bike) vs 1000's (car/truck) I will lose every time. Def helps in both instances to keep one's head on a swivel, prob more so on the PWC because with roads, you know where people *should* be, on a lake they can come from anywhere.

I guess I had better get a copy of the Boating Bible from the DNR before I get this thing, so I'll have a decent understanding of all the rules and regs I am going to run into. I have also heard that what happens on a boat can effect your car drivers license, is this true? If so, how can this be? I mean, they are totally unrelated, and you don't even need a license to operate a PWC?

Oh, and LMCD? Had no idea, found this out:

The Lake Minnetonka Conservation District has a Joint and Cooperative Agreement with the Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office. The Sheriff’s Office Water Patrol Unit provides law enforcement services on Lake Minnetonka. This includes policing and enforcement of Chapter III of LMCD Code of ordinances “Regulation of Watercraft and Other Craft and Vehicles.” The Water Patrol also polices and enforces all state laws regulating the conduct of activity on the lake. Working cooperatively with the LMCD, the Water Patrol licenses all special events on Lake Minnetonka.

Sounds like they are sort of rent a cops out there, or do they have policing powers granted from the Sheriff? I'll need to read more about them, but it appears to be yet another reason to avoid the Big Lake. Anyone every taken their ski to the Real Big lake up north, Superior? Now THAT would be some serious jumping potential, I'd think? Just bring your wetsuit.... (or drysuit) ;)

*edit* nope, not rentacops, looks like they are the real deal, just work supporting "Special Rules" on Mtka?

LOL yes you are new to skis...no need to whip out the book because....oh boy!!! In MN you have to have a rules sticker on your boat! LOLOL I dont. When they ask me where mine is I look in the footwell and say crap it must have come off again.

They usually pull one out and slap it in the worst spot. I get home and stick it on the inside of my garbage can.

Back