Hull Repair on my 96XP

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't forget you will need a black bow hook and shell.

I have painted my stock one, wasn't pleased with the result.

Got a black one for sale?

I also need a hood deflector, any color/condition will work as I think I am going to carbon cover it....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well time for an update.

I have been splitting time between this and my 97gsx.

I have good news and bad news, the good news is that all the orange peel is gone!

The bad news is that I have sanded through the gelcoat in a few spots and need to think up a repair.

268.jpg

Look to the left of the bow eye.

269.jpg

Close up.

Yep, I screwed this up.

There are about 3 spots like this on the hull (all less severe than this one)

That I need to figure out how to fix, I am open to opinions.

Here they are in order of effort from high to low.

1.Sand the hull down to 100 grit and respray adding thickness everywhere and hopefully less orange peel.

2. Brush on gelcoat to the yellow areas and re sand. The problem with this is that the areas surrounding the yellow are level and adding material to just one spot will make a high spot

3.Finish wet sanding and buffing, apply black touch up PAINT to mask the yellow areas.

4. Leave it.

What do y'all think? Am I missing any options?

Brush on the gelcoat to the affected areas. Lay it on heavy, sand, wet sand and polish to a shine. That is how I did the bottom of my hull. It is the easiest option and it will look great. My biggest problem was matching the color but on the bottom who really cares? You can't see it anyways.

270.jpg

See above for a better explanation to see the issue with adding material to just the yellow areas.

Not ruling it out but fear I may get back into the yellow when trying to sand it flat.

Analysis paralysis. You are making much more of it than you need to. Just brush it over, sand and polish. Personally I wouldn't sand any deeper, because the yellow is already a low spot.

Analysis paralysis. You are making much more of it than you need to. Just brush it over, sand and polish. Personally I wouldn't sand any deeper, because the yellow is already a low spot.

I appreciate your opinion, but it isn't a low spot. It is a radius that caught more pressure while sanding. It is level with the surrounding material.

tough call, like said above, you can always bush some on and re-sand, or re shoot building up the area using 50% duratec and should go on fairly smooth with very minimal orange peel feathering it out while spraying and re sand. using 50% duratec will allow very fast cure time to sand within 4 hours with 108 grit, the wait over night and then work your way to 1000 grit and then buff. dry sanding also works well.

I appreciate your opinion, but it isn't a low spot. It is a radius that caught more pressure while sanding. It is level with the surrounding material.

Actually if it was the correct contour before you sanded it, the yellow area IS a low spot since it is the only area showing. I would brush or spray carefully in the area and feather the edges and be done. I know you want it perfect, and you should since you did so much work on it. But it is the bottom of a ski that will get scuffed on the trailer and on the shore. Unless of course you are going to be doing water speed records with it.... Good luck. Be gentle. Don't open up any added yellow spots in the repair. Looking good! You are close.

Actually if it was the correct contour before you sanded it, the yellow area IS a low spot since it is the only area showing. I would brush or spray carefully in the area and feather the edges and be done. I know you want it perfect, and you should since you did so much work on it. But it is the bottom of a ski that will get scuffed on the trailer and on the shore. Unless of course you are going to be doing water speed records with it.... Good luck. Be gentle. Don't open up any added yellow spots in the repair. Looking good! You are close.

Thanks for the encouraging words. I am starting to lose motivation on the project.

Ok, big update on the hull,

I patched the yellow spot on the hull and finished sanding all the hull with 400 grit paper. It took 400 to remove all the orange peel from the gelcoat application.

I then followed in increasing grit, 600->1000->1500
This is what it looked like after 1500
520.jpg

Then, I broke out the buffer with a wool pad and started with 3m rubbing compound.

521.jpg

I followed the compound with finer compounds and new pads.

3M rubbing compound->medium cut->fine cut->swirl remover->machine glaze->boat wax

And this is what we were left with:

522.jpg

523.jpg

524.jpg

525.jpg

526.jpg

527.jpg

I finally have a black lower hull, trued and wet sanded flat.

There are some small imperfections, some scratches that I didn't completely sand out and some other minor problems.

All that stuff is difficult to notice under shop lighting and will never be seen in the water.

I am completely satisfied with the end result and hope to start reassembly tomorrow.

Says the guy who traded his 99 with a black bottom for a 96 that is all yellow!!! Lol sorry i had to

Ahhhh...... You just had to say it lol!!! And ha I'm like my yellow bottom ☺️ I was gonna have him paint my Ultra 150 bottom black lol

Thanks for the complements guys! I think If I did it all over again I could cut my time in half and end up with a better product. That being said, I don't think I want to do another one of these.

How does everyone feel about a tweaked version of 99 SPX graphics replacing my originals? I want to give a nod to the 99 SPX, but I feel writing SPX on the side is a lie. I want to find some type of harmony between the 96XP and the 99SPX in the graphics department.

You already came this far, now add the spx decals, or see if Mike can just put xp in the graphics and maybe see if he can change the color of the decals. Right now there is a purple hue to them. Maybe just take the purple out to have them just greyish. If you truly intend to make a spx clone it will be hard finding a hood.

You already came this far, now add the spx decals, or see if Mike can just put xp in the graphics and maybe see if he can change the color of the decals. Right now there is a purple hue to them. Maybe just take the purple out to have them just greyish. If you truly intend to make a spx clone it will be hard finding a hood.

Yep, I agree. We have already gone through a few revisions.

I don't know if I should post a teaser pic from [MENTION=70010]RatFink[/MENTION] (Mike) or not. But we have something sweet and unique in the works.

As for replica or not, I am not planning on a replica, just a nice mod XP with a strong nod to the 99 SPX.

I am planning on inverting the colors on hood with a black deflector and yellow hood base.

great minds think alike, i was thinking along those lines of spx'ish decals with xp on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back