How to do an Oil Change on 180 Challenger

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rayrodas

I just got a 2008 - 180 Challenger. In reading the manual, it says that I need to take it to the dealer for an oil change. Yeah right!!! Is it that hard to change the oil? Can anyone give me tips on a easy oil change? I have worked on many cars, so it can't be that complicated. Please send me advise or let me know where can I find a manual of DIY for these type of issues. Thanks

you have to pump the oil out through the dipstick tube "jimmy". yeah i no it sounds odd but its easy. you can buy an automatic pump or you can get a little pump that goes on the end of a drill. i use a vacuum pump for refrigerant systems. just make sure you have a big enough container to put all the oil in. the filter is at the front of the motor. it has a cap over it with a funny star shaped bolt on it.

Changing the oil on a 4-tec engine…all models

1)420320920-$7.25
2)420850500-$8.99
3)420950860-$2.20

Oil filter /I use a K&N off their website.
1)KN556-$12.95

Oil 10w40 Mineral Oil or Blended oil from seadoo or similiar#219700346-$6.50 a qt.
Be sure you use 10w40, marine 4 stroke Oil, with a API of SL, SJ or SN.
You need 3 L or 2.7 us quarts with filter for oil change.

Oil extractor from West Marine. Company Tempo, Part# 170200 Model# OB5 Retails about $50.00.
Change the oil when it is warm. Rev the engine to 4,000 rpm for 10 sec. and shut off at this rpm. This moves all the oil from the pto housing to the oil tank for maximum draining. Remove the oil filler cap and the dipstick. Insert the extractor tube in the dipstick 18.7 inches from the top of the dipstick pipe. Wrap tape around the tube to be sure it is in that deep. Next, extract the oil from the dipstick. (on pwc models only, the next step applies)When no more oil is extracted, pull the tube out of the dipstick hole and crank the engine(do not start) while the engine is in drown mode(fully depress the throttle lever, or on Jet Boats grab the throttle cable linkage at the throttle body and HOLD it open than crank the engine, get a friend to help)
Crank the engine for 10 seconds, Extract oil again, repeat crank extract 2-3 more times.
Keep track of how much oil you extract and add what you removed.

You will need a E-10 star socket or a 8mm,(6pt) socket to remove the oil filter cap. There are 3 "O" rings in the filter cap area if they are damaged change them. Check level, and go have fun. I hope this info helps.

Karl

Shop Manual for 2008 180 Challenger

Hey, thanks for all the advise on the oil change. What will be a good shop manual that shows all these little things for DIY like me.

Hey, thanks for all the advise on the oil change. What will be a good shop manual that shows all these little things for DIY like me.

The factory service manual is the only one to use.

Make sure you dont over fill the oil, it will reduce performance.

The oil change involves cranking the engine over without starting a few times while removing oil to get it all out. I recommend using only the new BRP synth blend oil. Also change your plugs once a year and dont forget the oil filter.

They can sell you all the parts and a manual here. Its not so bad once you have done it a few times.

KH

how do you crank the engine with out starting it and does this method apply to the newer boats? i.e. a 2008 challenger 180?

Also, how does running the engine without oil not wear it out?

Disconnect the spark plugs
Running an engine w/o oil harmful?...duh! (actually the parts have a coating of oil, but IMO, starting it w/o oil would be stupid)

Hi, guys

My boat have 8 hours use and as far as I know a light comes on when it reachs 10 hours? or when a Maintenence is required. I have to do everything bymyself because where I live there is not Seadoo Service Shop. If that light comes on how can I turn it off?

Thank you JThomasLambert.

Please help me with a couple of question. How to download Service Manual for our boat 180 Challenger 215 Model 2008. Im premium member, and where to buy service tool. Thanks in advance

you have to pump the oil out through the dipstick tube "jimmy". yeah i no it sounds odd but its easy. you can buy an automatic pump or you can get a little pump that goes on the end of a drill. i use a vacuum pump for refrigerant systems. just make sure you have a big enough container to put all the oil in. the filter is at the front of the motor. it has a cap over it with a funny star shaped bolt on it.

correct me if im rong PLEASE but i was told no oil changes in these i have a 96 seadoo challenger n i was told no oil changes just keep topping up the oil??

correct me if im rong PLEASE but i was told no oil changes in these i have a 96 seadoo challenger n i was told no oil changes just keep topping up the oil??

:banghead:

You have a two stroke. Its oil injected/or premix with API-TC Two stroke oil Only.
Not the blue TC-3 oil just in case you didn't know

:lol:

:banghead:

You have a two stroke. Its oil injected/or premix with API-TC Two stroke oil Only.
Not the blue TC-3 oil just in case you didn't know

:lol:

everything u said i kno i dont get what ur point is??? someone above said they change there oil in there 2 stroke i was saying u dont do u??

everything u said i kno i dont get what ur point is??? someone above said they change there oil in there 2 stroke i was saying u dont do u??

?? must of been edited but his thread is in the 4 stroke section and he has a 2008 your have a 98.
I thought comment was funny

Last edited by a moderator:
The owner's manual for the 180 Sea-doo Challenger states that in order to do an oil change, the watercraft must be brought to a certified Sea-doo technician. While this may be advisable for those who do not wish to get their hands dirty, those interested can change the oil on their 180 Challenger without dealer intervention. Granted, the process for changing the oil is not as easy as a car, but the process is not much different then a Jet Ski or PWC (personal water craft).

I have not tried on mine yet, but I beleive you start it with full throttle in neutral to "crank", cuts the fuel off.

Cranking the engine means having the parts turn, you do that to get the remaining bit of old oil out. Because there's no oil in the engine you certainly don't want the engine to start much less rev up, so you need to first disconnect the spark plugs, then use the starter to "crank" the engine a few revolutions to remove the last of the oil....

Make sure you're in a WELL VENTILATED AREA if you are undoing spark plugs and then trying to turn over the engine. The sparks will spark and any open vapors could ignite.. then comes the BOOM... :(

I usually change my OIL whenever I go to lake the last time before storage or on my first testing trip before Summer kicks in. (as soon as you come out of the lake, OIL is pretty warm and don't have to worry about crank it again HAHA).. someone is going to give me a ticket doing this in the parking area

I usually change my OIL whenever I go to lake the last time before storage or on my first testing trip before Summer kicks in. (as soon as you come out of the lake, OIL is pretty warm and don't have to worry about crank it again HAHA).. someone is going to give me a ticket doing this in the parking area

Since this is my first 4 stroke. I wanna make sure i got it right. I no longer have a sea doo dealer close, so im trying to figure out what oil i wanna use. what oil are you using?

Karl stated a mineral based oil with an API SJ rating is sufficient. Thats exactly what most car motor oil is....Is there something different for a 4 stroke marine application?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back