How many feet of what size fuel line in 96 XP?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

scooper77515

freebie fixer
Premium Member
I am FINALLY replacing the gray lines.

I could pull it off and measure it, but I really want to replace one piece at a time so I don't cross any or reroute it wrong.

So, I KNOW someone on here has done it and remembers how many feet they bought...

I don't care if I have 1 or 10 feet left over (never hurts to have a little extra), but how much did you need, and what size(s) did you use?

Buy a 25' roll of 5/16 fuel line. There will be a couple foot left over incase you make a booboo on the smaller lines...........

Thanks for the quick response.

Sounds easy when you hear it that way.

Isn't there a smaller diameter chunk between the carbs, if I remember correctly? What size is that?

Just went outside and looked at my ski and its definitely 1/4" line. Just got done replacing mine a few weeks ago. Have fun with the factory metal clamps! :banghead:

Well, I guess to be safe, I will cut a chunk off and take it in with me.

Yeah, I hate those clamps. What clamps did you use when you put it all back together?

im doing mine right now. bought 25 ft roll of black 1/4 inch fuel line. got 30 metal clamps.

Just used standard hose clamps but I made sure they were stainless. Autozone had them when I bought the fuel line. It really isn't that difficult just hard to reach some of the places. Make sure and clean our your fuel selector valve while your at it

The factory tempo line is 8mm which is 5/16.
Just did my friends '96XP today.
Did my '97 SPX a few weeks ago.
All the same line.
My GTXL has 5/16 and 1/4 line on it.
Some skis have two different sizes, but the are usually the late '90's models.

I've got a 96 XP and replaced the fuel line last summer. I used 1/4in automotive fuel line, and I think I used about 20 ft. or so. Also got the SS hose clamps. Might be a good idea to get a few extra clamps and keep em handy, as I had a couple break. Good luck.

Jay138

Well, it seems the votes are leaning slightly toward 1/4" line.

I am wondering if some came with 1/4 and others with 5/16"???

Now, even more, I think I will take a small chunk with me and match it up to be sure.

At least we all agree that 20-25' is about what I will need.:cheers:

I ended up buying a foot of each, 1/4" and 5/16". Priced .66 and 1.16 respectively.

Brought them home and cut a chunk out at a T and tried them both on. They both fit, but the 1/4 was VERY snug. The 5/16 went on easily, but was lightly snug.

So I will be going with the 5/16 for ease of install and later removal, and for better fuel flow through the fuel system.

It will cost more, even though another store will be getting some in for .99 a foot. But I think I will be happier in the end.

Also, 10 seconds with a dremel tool and the factory clamps pop right off. I hit them just long enough to pop off the clamp but not get into the tubing.

Just gotta keep open fuel lines plugged to prevent any bigger POPS!

Sorry to keep bringing this post up, but for future reference, 8.0mm is also listed on the side of my 5/16" fuel line. I think someone said early on that 8.0 was what was stock, so it seems I made the better choice by going 5/16".

You need to get the 1/4" fuel line, not 5/16". All carbureted Sea-Doo's with a 787 or smaller engine use 6mm hose (1/4") exclusively. The carbed 951 engines use 6mm on the return lines and 8mm (5/16") on the main feed lines.
If you use the 5/16", you risk a fuel leak. KABOOM!

Chester

And here I thought it was going to be a straightforward answer on the hose size...I expected a little bickering about the length.:confused:

Anything else I should do while in there, besides cleaning the selector switch out?

Hmmm...

The more I get into it, the more it seems that the stuff up front near the fuel tank and switch are 8mm, and the stuff back near the carb is 6mm....

Done, final results...

I used 5/16" for most of it, but I am thinking maybe 1/4" was the correct size. I used 1/4" on the carb itself, but used 5/16" for all the long lines and the lines to the fuel valve.

20' would have been plenty.

It took right at 20 hoseclamps. I was able to reuse a couple, but also used a couple more around my priming pump, so if you do this, get 20-22 and you will be fine.

The dremel tool worked great for busting loose the factory clamps. About 10 seconds per clamp, then use pliers to pull the "snapped" clamp off (they get hot from the dremel, and sharp edges).

I ran the system nearly empty with the valve shut off and pulled the fuel cap off to get all pressure out of the system. There was fuel in only a couple of lines, including the long lines to the carbs.

Otherwise, I found that my plastic nut on the fuel valve was snapped in two places, and the valve was being held on by corrosion alone. So I ordered a new valve and nut.

Also, I found that the long allen bolts holding the carb had almost corroded solid into the carbs and engine, so I cleaned them off really well and gooped them down with an anti-seize. If anyone knows of a better way to keep the stainless/aluminum contact from causing electrostatic corrosion, let me know and I will redo them.

Took about 2 hours, pretty easy job if you just take your time and do one hose at a time.:hurray::hurray::hurray::cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back