Help Newbee should I buy a 1995 seadoo speedster

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oneshia

Hello, I'm very new to the seadoo and Pwc world. I'm trying to decide if I want to buy a 1995 - 1997 Seadoo speedster. (It's listed as 1997 but it's the purple one and with research I know it's a 1995). It is for sale for about $3000 and is in working condition. I've been told by the owner (fleet owner) that he has gone through the motor and electronical drive unit, all are in great condition. My dilemma; seeing as I've never own a pwc in my life. Is this worth the buy? I know it's 20 years old now? I live on the water and want a small speed boat for the summer for my family? Please help! Should I buy this boat, what are things to look for or ask when buying? How much should this boat be worth? Any input is helpful.
Thank you!

Hello, I'm very new to the seadoo and Pwc world. I'm trying to decide if I want to buy a 1995 - 1997 Seadoo speedster. (It's listed as 1997 but it's the purple one and with research I know it's a 1995). It is for sale for about $3000 and is in working condition. I've been told by the owner (fleet owner) that he has gone through the motor and electronical drive unit, all are in great condition. My dilemma; seeing as I've never own a pwc in my life. Is this worth the buy? I know it's 20 years old now? I live on the water and want a small speed boat for the summer for my family? Please help! Should I buy this boat, what are things to look for or ask when buying? How much should this boat be worth? Any input is helpful.
Thank you!

I think that is on the high side but not that familiar with market values on the speedster. Unless you are a die hard speedster fan I would pass. For me the cons outweigh the pro's if you are just looking for "a boat" to get out on. The speedster has two engines. I may be a little off but the burn rate at open throttle is about 10 gallons an hour per engine. 20 gallons an hour with two engines makes an expensive day at the lake. Couple that with probably carb rebuilds needed, possible leaking engine seals and a host of other type things that will most likely be needed and many things that can go wrong with it, in my opinion you need to be ready to become a mechanic. Again, if you are into old 2 strokes and keeping them going, I would consider. I may take a bashing from others that have them BUT, I am on my third year with my 20 year old Seadoo GTX and every year so far I have had to do a lot of work to it to keep her running. One more major issue with mine and I am going to move on!

Last edited by a moderator:
I tend to agree, it is a fun little boat, but honestly, since you live on the water not very practical. If you want a Seadoo you should be looking at a newer 4-tec boat with a closed loop cooling system, much better for salt water use. Also fuel consumption is much less with a 4-tec.

BTW, welcome to the Seadoo forum.

Lou

One way to look at it is, if it is up and running right now it's a cheap way to find out if you like the "feel" of a jet boat before you spend major cash on new(er) one. That's what I did last year, (96 Sportster) and I just traded it in on a new scarab for what I paid for it. So I basically got a free test drive for a year.

Ok thanks. I just found a newer sportster 1998 for $2000 but with reviews from the 90's one I'm thinking I should steer clear. Just not sure. Thanks for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back