Does this sound like a lean hesitation or a rich bog?????

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane0524

could someone please suggest if i have a lean condition? I think i am having a lean hesitation, but i am not entirely sure. It will bog/hesitate after idling for a few seconds but if you hit the throttle just after running hard i won't bog/hesitate.

It will even stall if you hit the throttle quick enough after idling long enough, but it will fire back up instantly.

please listen to some of these videos, i think the first in the list is the best to hear the hesitation.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTlkdGibArx1ThEycY7SL8TZO9Tj7xJJ0

PS (new fuel lines and cleaned carbs) 96 gtx 787 stock

Last edited by a moderator:
trying to identify if a rich or lean condition and how to resolve the issue. bogs/hesitates slightly we accelerating from an idle. may even stall if it had been idling long enough.

Looks like you have some nasty cavitation in some of those videos

96 XP800!
Keep the 2 strokes alive!

Yes that's correct, they really should be called idle mixture adjusters IMO. Seems like you're a little shy on residual fuel in the crankcase, causing lean stalling coming off idle. If it was too rich on the idle mixture, idle RPM would trend downward while idling and you'd have to crack the throttle open occasionally to keep it cleared out.

Last edited by a moderator:
or if the ski has an accel pump, make sure its working. you can have the hose split or crack and they won't squirt the required amount off idle.

My 97 Gtx did not have an accel pump. I know some skis in 97 did use them though

96 XP800!

My 97 Gtx did not have an accel pump. I know some skis in 97 did use them though

96 XP800!

i thought it was just the XPs and the single carb 717s, but wasn't sure. the fact that it fires right back up when it quits points to a lean hesitation rather than a rich bog since if it was too rich it would probably be flooded and hard to start when it dies.

Thats what i was thinking with the hard to start if flooded, so ill try turning out the low speed screws about 1/4 turn and see if it helps

If it will not run correct on the factory specs there is an underlying issue somewhere. Did you verify the 3 tiny transition holes in the carb and flowing freely?

96 XP800!

You can also see if pulling the choke some will help and if it does it will confirm that you are lean.

Sounds like lean stalling, try opening idle mixture screws ~1/4 turn.

Today I took out the boat with the idle screws open about an 1/8th turn more than 1 turn. It made no difference. I then opened the idle screws about another 1/8 turn. No difference. I opened them again, probably close to 2 turns out, and still no difference. Seriously it made almost no difference to how it idled and no difference to the bog issue.

I am absolutely going crazy and I about ready to take this to someone else to work on it!

I have no idea where to go. When I rebuilt the carbs with sbt part, i set the popoff to somewhere in the range from seadoo source.com. I'm pretty sure it was about 32psi a side. I used the original spring and arm. The thought of physically removing the carbs to do the popoff gain is sickening. Could popoff actually cause this bog off idle?

I have no idea what to do..........if anyone has any ideas I will listen.

How do i know i a bad accelerator pump or if i even have one?

You don't have one and yes pop off can cause your off idle bog. The three transition ports (tiny holes) in each carb being clogged can cause it as well

96 XP800!

So i know for a fact that it was set to pop off in the psi range listed on on seadoosource.com. Is there a more specific range or psi that it should be, (high end or low end of range?)

Here's a photo of an a-pump, there's a "Tee" fitting from the outlet of the pump that feeds a nozzle in each of the carb throats. You should hear/see a good squirt of fuel from both nozzles (look down inside carb using a mirror and light source) when you squeeze the throttle.

If the engine is off, you will only get two maybe three shots before the fuel chamber in the carb goes dry. The a-pump gets it's fuel from one of the carbs fuel chamber.

Both nozzles need to squirt fuel down the throat, not just a little dribble, that won't cut it. If the nozzles are clogged with fuel gum you can usually clear them out using a can of carb cleaner, pull the tubing off the nozzle nipple and stick the straw from the carb cleaner can into the barb and give it a few blasts.

There's a spring loaded one-way check-ball type of valve inside the nozzles.

Attachments

• 787 accelerator pump.jpg
    787 accelerator pump.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 31
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back