Does this sound like a lean hesitation or a rich bog?????

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW, the pop values given by seadoosource are not correct IMO, you should use the shop manual or the mikuni manual will give you the correct pop for the components being used (95gr spring + 1.5 needle = XXpsi +/- 2psi. The reason seadoosource is worng is a specific needle and seat should pop within a certain small range, not the 20 psi range seadoosource has in their table. Your metering arms could be bent to hell or you could have the wrong spring and still hit seadoosource's range.

Im going to recheck my popoffs.... any idea where they should be on a stock setup for a 96 gtx

I hope this makes some sense and is helpful. Make sure while those carbs are off though, you pilot holes are clear. Remove the low speed needle and pilot jet if you have to, to clear all junk out of the low speed circuit.

http://www.mikuni.com/pdf/sbn_manual.pdf

So yep, it's best to start from scratch and verify all the right parts and settings for your configuration. Metering seat orifice, metering spring color, pilot and high speed jet size. Could be someone has replaced the springs with the wrong ones, in which case the pop won't occur where it should, according to Mikuni's table.

For instance, the silver 65 gram spring (the lightest of four) with 1.5 seat should pop very near the value given in Mikuni's table: 32psi Seems like on average, next size up spring pops ~5psi higher (see table).

Down low, a lower pop than specified will flow fuel sooner at engine vacuum thus if your springs were changed to the wrong ones and now are too stiff or the arms were bent to compensate, you might experience acceleration hesitation or even lean idle issues where the motor runs out of fuel and stops firing completely.

Make sure the metering arm levers are at the correct height, ie: level with the chamber bottom (I barely snag a razor blade straight edge dragging across the top).

Spring selection is most often airbox dependent. This is why different skis with the dame motor have a different spring and/or low speed jet. Swapping carbs that aren't calibrated for the air box can leave you scratching your head.

If your springs were changed to too soft, you might have too much fuel and a lot of time is spent burbling on the excess fuel while it's clearing out (too much fuel can cause a black spooge oil stain on the transom and foul plugs too quickly with soot).

Adding further to the confusion in some cases, some springs were shimmed to adjust the pop pressure and there's no notation of the shim existing or thickness. Guess what happens when the carb is disassembled and tossed in a parts washer?

Personal question: Why is it my black is someone else's brown and another guy says it looks green to him, LOL? I can't imagine a lighter spring would be used for carbs with an a-pump, I'd think the heavier spring, if any change, would go with the a-pump.

"all 787 carbs without the accellerator pump use the brown 80 gram springs"

http://www dot.pwctoday dot com/showthread.php?t=337353

I'd try a 65 gram spring, if you wanted to lower the pop a few psi and get a tiny bit more fuel. Next step would be a larger pilot jet. These carbs are aging, the tiny passages have more corrosion in them than when they were new. OR MAYBE your crank seals are leaking air? I don't know but this is all part of having fun, right?

Attachments

• Mikuni jet part numbers.jpg
    Mikuni jet part numbers.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Mikuni BN Spring Pop-Off Calibration.jpg
    Mikuni BN Spring Pop-Off Calibration.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 19
  • MikuniSprings.jpg
    MikuniSprings.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 18
So if im following, i should have the black/brown 80 gram springs, and with my 1.5 N/S I should be popinh at 38 psi? But if im not mistaken my popoff is already lower than that. So im not sure where to go because if i need to lower it to get the hesitation fixed i would be taking it very low.... im gonna recheck my popoffs now ans spring colors...

Yeah, I think you've got a pretty good grasp on the concept of the metering diaphragm and spring tension. As long as the pop isn't too high you should get fuel into the fuel chamber. Really, lowering pop is just gonna allow fuel into the chamber a little earlier on the vacuum stroke. If pop is way too low, the carbs will flood fuel into the intake manifold just by vapor pressure in the fuel tank.

Personally, I think a 65 gram spring would be okay to use as long as you don't get a noticeable bunch of 4-stroking loading up on extra fuel, not convinced pop needs to be so high. Although I'm not convinced pop is your issue either, I suspect the low speed circuit is plugged partially.

But check the spring color (ie: black 80 gram), never know what you might discover.

Also note if the spring is silver, there are two silver springs and one (95 gram) is wound backwards from the other three springs.

So, about the minimum pop I've ever seen on any diaphragm carb is about 7psi and it goes up from there based on the airbox and how restrictive it is, the more restrictive the air box the higher pop must be set to control fuel from being too much.

conversely in the extreme case of pop is set on the hairy edge of high limits, running with the air box off will create starvation problems.

Ok so the popoffs were 32 and 35. I lowered them by chaging springs. Now they both pop at 25 even and its running good. I have the low speeds at 1 1/8 turn out and the high speed at 1/4 because im more interested in reliability than top speed. I think its running a bit rich at low speeds so in going to put the low speeds back to 1 turn and see how it runs. But i am pretty happy with it now. Thanks for the advice

Sounds good.

Granted plug insulator color is a somewhat subjective subject but a new set of plugs in my 951 take on a canary yellow color after about 20~30 minutes and then settle out to cardboard brown, progressively darkening and eventually foul on deposits after about a season. I'm a devout fogger lol, so that doesn't help the plugs any either.

A gray insulator is indicative of being too lean in the high speed circuit, something to watch out for. Black is soot from too much fuel of course as you most likely are aware. Despite both our motors, fuel and oil have changed dramatically since Gordon Jennings wrote most of his material, I still reference his advice....

http://www.strappe.com/plugs.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back