Does No one like to help in the 4stroke section??

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

joaquin12345

Premium Member
Premium Member
First off I would just like to say that seadooforum in general is a really good site and has helped me out tremedously, on my 2 stroke seadoos. On that note I would like to get my frustration out on all you guys out there that simply get on this site, and im talking about the 4 stroke section only, and read all the helpful information and never respond with there own. Now yes I only have about 50-60 post and that is only because only recently have I started to understand my jetskis a little bit better and feel comfortable enough to at least tell someone out there how I screwed something up so that they dont. Anyways now that i have 2 4-stroke ski's I have posted a few times on here about general basic questions, that unfortunately I dont or didnt know the answer too. Now being that the 4 strokes have been around for about 9-10 years I dont understand why it is that nobody has responded to my posts about first off, the placement of the orings on the oil filter cap, or gauge info center. Anyways I have searched and searched on this site and have seen where people have asked the same question since 2002. Now for you guys that recieved no answer then figured it out on your own then continued to use this site, shame on you. Thats why this 4 stroke section is no help to anyone unless you ask a question like " Should I change My supercharger washers" Then everybody rushes in with there loser answer of "Yes of course unless you want to spend 5k on a new engine yes do it even though you only have 5 hrs on your ski, ive seen them blow engines at 1 hr" Anyways yes of course you need to change sc washers but everybodys answer is the same. No one ever tells the poor guy asking well I went 250 hrs on mine and never had a problem but I dont ride hard at all mainly cruise at 30mph. I seriously think that 95% of the guys answering either have not changed their washers out or dont even know what they are talking about because no one ever has a good answer as to how to do it other then oh its so hard pay someone to do yours here is a good site...... Anyways I got so frustrated today because I ordered a 9 filter and oring set about 1 week ago. Anyways it came in and I ruined 3 big orings, you know the thicker of the big ones. Anyways if you know what im talking about then why did you never respond to my posting about oring placement. Anyways I wasnt sure which oring went on the bottom or top as I bought my skis used and they both had just the big oring and on the top section of the cap and it worked but when I repeated the process it did not. Long story short I ruined 3 orings trying to figure it out not to mention 2hrs of cussing and putting this site down for now help. Anyways I finally got it on worked great, I will be responding to my own post. Anyways thanks guys. In the future lets try and answer eachother with at least what we tried. Thats how this 4 stroke section is gonna get better. Each post on average is looked at 75times before a reply is posted unless its about should i change my super charger.. Anyways on the 2 stroke for about every 10 views you have a reply. Some stuff yes nobody knows but I know a ton of you have changed your own oil. anyways just my frustration today. banghead:

Probably because a lot of us dont own a 4 stroke. We own old reliable paid for 2 strokes. I dont like to give misleading information or answer something i dont know what i talking about. There are a lot of regulars that own 2 strokes and know more about them. There are some very knowledgeable 4 stroke guys too, they just arent on as much. Give your questions a little time. If you wanna donate a 4 stroke to me, ill gladly learn it inside and out and try to be more helpful. :cheers:

:agree: I also think since the 4-tek's are a lot more complex a lot of people, including myself are reluctant to work on them and another reason some of the 4-tek's are still under warranty or extended warranty.

Also could be the 2-stroke guys are smarter than the 4-tek guys, only kidding. I have noticed that sometime the 4-tek guys are just too serious.

Lou

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I've only had my 4-tek for a year, and the only service that has been done was under warranty, and far beyond my level of knowledge. I will definitely feel more comfortable doing my own work when the warranty is up....like Lou said.

I have only owned my GTX 260 for a short period of time and have no desire to get into working on it. I paid for the 3 years of service and glad I did. These things are more complicated than an two stroke and it all run by the computer.

What is worst is due to my "IS" seat suspension I can even GET to my engine. If you remove a cover you can see the top of the engine through a 12" x 18" hole and that is it! I can't even get a can of fogging oil on each side to protect from corrision.

No wonder it costs so much to maintain these as just the labor to remove the entire top half of my ski to get to the engine is crazy!

BUT, I love it. I know am paying an addtional 5-7 dollars an hour just to maintain the super charger but it is worth ever single penny everytime I pull the trigger! Getting that much horse power out of this power plant is not going to be free! I have owned a turbo Carrera and it demanded a lot of care too, but it was worth it!

Well, I can answer all your questions about 4tecs, I rebuilt my first one in 04 and bunches since then. Sorry, I'm not always available to answer questions but you can pm me.

for the placement of the o-rings on the oil cap, the large thicker diameter one goes in the groove on the cap toward the bottom, the large thin diameter one goes under the lip on the cap, the small one goes between the center bolt and the cap.

for the sc, in 03 they had metal washers but they didn't last long before they wore the side of the gear out, sometimes 20 hrs, sometimes 80 hours depends on riding style. the washers wear because of quick changes in rpm like when you jump your ski out of water, it keeps revving, then hits the water and the revs instantly drop down, this is when the sc washer slip which is what they are supposed to do but the more they slip, the more they wear. from 04-07, they used ceramic washers which are known as the bad ones because they can break and cause more damage. but honestly, if you catch it relatively quickly, it won't do any damage at all. the broken pieces of washers can be removed from the rear pto housing and the oil screen, then a couple of oil changes and it's fine. most dealers won't tell you this because it's easier for them to put in a new engine and they make more money. as far as rebuilding, sd does recommend them to be rebuilt every 100 hours but I see them all the time that have gone to 200-300 hours without issue, again, depends on riding style. rebuilding them is not difficult but helps to have the right tools.

Relax...this is a small board...not everyone visits as often as some would like. Then again...some would say others won't stf-up!...heh.

Anyway....you solved the o-ring prob.

Like has been stated...pm's might get you faster help.

good info on the washers. 1 thing to add as an update is the 08 washers were metal, but still broke apart quite often. 09 and newer are finally fixed in the successful manner that the aftermarket has been doing since 2005.

Well, I can answer all your questions about 4tecs, I rebuilt my first one in 04 and bunches since then. Sorry, I'm not always available to answer questions but you can pm me.

for the placement of the o-rings on the oil cap, the large thicker diameter one goes in the groove on the cap toward the bottom, the large thin diameter one goes under the lip on the cap, the small one goes between the center bolt and the cap.

for the sc, in 03 they had metal washers but they didn't last long before they wore the side of the gear out, sometimes 20 hrs, sometimes 80 hours depends on riding style. the washers wear because of quick changes in rpm like when you jump your ski out of water, it keeps revving, then hits the water and the revs instantly drop down, this is when the sc washer slip which is what they are supposed to do but the more they slip, the more they wear. from 04-07, they used ceramic washers which are known as the bad ones because they can break and cause more damage. but honestly, if you catch it relatively quickly, it won't do any damage at all. the broken pieces of washers can be removed from the rear pto housing and the oil screen, then a couple of oil changes and it's fine. most dealers won't tell you this because it's easier for them to put in a new engine and they make more money. as far as rebuilding, sd does recommend them to be rebuilt every 100 hours but I see them all the time that have gone to 200-300 hours without issue, again, depends on riding style. rebuilding them is not difficult but helps to have the right tools.

Something I learned a long time ago was when I was new to a board, I would always ask for someone to take me under thier arm and teach me or try to find the person that wasn't just blowing hot air. Try chatting with someone that has the information you need and make a friend.

Just a thought...

Four stroke engines have always been more reliable and cleaner. Where I live and ski, Lake Meade national park system, down the Colorado River to Havasu, two stroke pwcs will not be allowed after 20011, along with most lakes in California. Don't even think about taking a two stroke to Lake Tahoe. I recently bought two 2006 GTI-SEs for me and the wifey. Oh, and by the way, they are paid for.

SeaDOOS ARE NEW TO ME AND GENERALLY WHILE I THINK THEY ARE THE MOST FUN YOU CAN HAVE WITH CLOTHES ON ARE THEY BASICALLY UNRELIABLE,DO I HAVE TO BABY THEM TO MAKE THEM LAST WHAT IS THE NUM BER ONE MTCE ISSUE WITH THE 4 TEC ENGINES AND THE BASIC OPERATION TO HAVE THEM WOORY FREE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back