Disc Brakes on a Trailer ? How the hell does that work

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spimothy Leary

I know I can just ask google but I thought it would be an interesting discussion.

There is a trailer deal i'm working on: its a dual axle trailer with Kodiak Disc Brakes, I have never driven a trailer that had/needed them, and i'm honestly completely clueless as to how it works.

Does my truck need some kind of controller for this ?

see next question

So, ya, I don't know if its electric or surge, but there appears to be extra cables running into the coupler.

Seems completely unnecessary for a double pwc trailer and not sure if you can just not use them ?

Anybody have real life experience with brakes on a trailer that can fill me in ?

edit: Confirmed they are surge brakes, rotor's are rusty but that's not a huge concern as far as purchasing the trailer. (at least I don't think it's a huge expense to update, and might shine up with actual use, this has been sitting for 6 months)

Last edited by a moderator:
Most double axle trailers by law need brakes on one axle. U have a choice of electric or hydraulic brakes. Electric is much easier to service that hydraulic on a trailer. Most trucks if they came with a factory tow package support electric brakes. If not factory you need to add an electric brake module. Looks like a fuzz buster.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

*Trailers over 3500 pounds generally require brakes.

Thus, yes, most trailers with dual axles, require brakes. Some states require brakes on all wheels. Some only on the front.

In Illinois any trailer with a B trailer plate need brakes which is 3001-5000lbs. C plates and higher you need DOT inspection on them so the brakes must work and have proper lights.

*Trailers over 3500 pounds generally require brakes.

Thus, yes, most trailers with dual axles, require brakes. Some states require brakes on all wheels. Some only on the front.

trailers over 3500 # capacity right ?

At most i'll be carrying about 2,000 would be a safe guess. So IMO they aren't necessary, and as long as they are functioning properly there's no downside I can think of.

I'm going ahead with the purchase, so unless the deal falls through in the next 24 hours, it will be in my backyard Wednesday and i'll figure it out from there :)

I would check your state law as others have said the brake requirement is governed by the weight rating of the trailer.
As for trailer brakes the disc are always a hydraulic actuated surge brake and the newer ones have an electric override so when you put it into reverse it releases the line pressure so you can back up. The older ones you had to go back and flip a lever or install a pin. Almost all watercraft trailers use this hydraulic setup because you don't want the electrical trailer brakes in the water all the time. THe electric brakes are drums with shoes that are actuated by an electro-magnet and more susceptible to corrosion.

Once you drive a trailer with brakes you'll wonder where they've been your whole life.

Spim just look at tie down engineering disc brakes, there are plenty of instructions for them on the interwebs.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Once you drive a trailer with brakes you'll wonder where they've been your whole life.

Spim just look at tie down engineering disc brakes, there are plenty of instructions for them on the interwebs.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Or just get a bigger tow vehicle.... I can't feel or see my skis behind my F-350 :thumbsup:

If the brakes don't work I would use that for the bargaining. Most people don't take case of the breaks specially if you don't tow heavy stuff. Every utility trailer I bought the brakes never worked unless they need to get them inspected to get plates.

bargaining is over already, price was set before pickup. my guy picked it up this morning, I just need to head over to his place and take it home, need to find him a single trailer first so we can transfer the ski over, then hide it in the back yard from the wife :)

bargaining is over already, price was set before pickup. my guy picked it up this morning, I just need to head over to his place and take it home, need to find him a single trailer first so we can transfer the ski over, then hide it in the back yard from the wife :)

Jet ski trailer - $600 (Deerfield)
[h=2][/h]
00b0b_6XdPVsyrxgK_600x450.jpg

Triton aluminum jet ski trailer. Call or text 954-579-738one.

When surge brakes are working as they should, they are fantastic.

My 27 foot Searay with twin 292 engines weight 8000 pounds. I have had all four tries lock up on the trailer upon quick stops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have surge brakes on my boat trailer; 6000# GVW, twin axle. The hydraulics are actuated by a piston that is connected to the coupler and pushed into the master cylinder.

See this: http://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Actuator/Titan/T4339720.html

It explains the whole thing.

They work exceptionally well. There is no issue towing my Donzi, which weighs in about 5000#, with fuel and the trailer.

I have a Triton aluminum twin PWC trailer with a single 3000# axle. No brakes. Tow vehicle is a 2005 Explorer with trailering package. Non issue for the PWCs.

-Dave
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Especially in the case the trailer is used often, the disc surge brake setup is an improvement over the old electric or hydraulic drums, IMO. There should be only a single wire for the lockout solenoid valve on the brake line near the master cylinder, powering this solenoid from the tow vehicle backup light circuit will allow you to back the trailer. You'll need a 5-wire connector for that extra wire as opposed to the standard four wire. Ground of trailer frame is always important else stuff doesn't work correctly. Usually you can insert a pin into the tongue for manually locking out the brake function while backing in case wiring is an issue (some lights aren't waterproof and will break the hot bulbs thus unplug while splashing the boat leaves you without lockout. Making a special jumper plug without lights circuit for splashing avoids this problem of broken bulbs. Or backing onto the ramp before disconnecting lights should work.

Disk brake parts are cheap and the cylinders easy to rebuild. They are more prone to seizing though so keep a watch on that and flush the disk with fresh water after salt helps.

Hydraulic brake systems can get air in the system you'll need to purge and flush out if there were any leaks.

Nice to have brakes if your tow vehicle isn't a full size truck with big brakes, I question the need for a double ski trailer with brakes but skies are getting bigger and heavier now and tow vehicles getting smaller?

All the more reason for the Sqrl to start towing with the Tesla. With those trailers pushing him down hill he should have a full battery at the bottom with the regenerative braking.:thumbsup:
[MENTION=17278]SabrToothSqrl[/MENTION]

my 4 place dual axle trailer has no brakes and with a full load my 1/2 ton really shows no signs of getting pushed or a hard time pulling. Hardly even feel it on hills. Then again were talking 4 XPs...lol

I think [MENTION=16022]Dr Honda[/MENTION] converted the brakes on his Utopia trailer from surge to electric.

It is nice having trailer brakes. I have towed car trailers many times with my F-250. You don't even notice the weight your towing when you brake. You notice when you take off or get on the highway. It's nice to know the trailer is staying straight when you panic stop.

fortunately the trailer manufacturer that built this is a only 10 minutes from my house. If I have specific questions, I can just pop over there. In the meantime, I think i'm going to like owning it, even if its only for a little while. Its Total overkill.

234.jpg

its not easy to make a GTX look small :)

Most of the time you don't notice the difference until someone cuts in front of you. :) Good feeling to have that trailer pulling on your vehicle when having to get down on the brakes hard.
With out trailer brakes you also notice when you have to brake jobs more often.

Dual axles ride smoother imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back